Options

What do you call people from China/Japan/Korea etc.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm talking about ethnicity.

I know people will say "Call them by their name" and things like that, but that's not what I mean.

Say you had to describe someone when reporting a crime. You could say "Well he was white, 6ft, medium build" Same with the word "black".

The word Asian, I was bought up with this meaning people from the far East, but it seems to be used for Indian/Pakistani people, so if you describe someone as Asian in this country people immediately seem to think of people who look Indian.

The word "Oriental" sounds very Victorian and old fashioned. I've heard people say "He looked Chinese" but I imagine that would offend a Japanese person.

Why do we not have a word for this race of people?

Comments

• Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    South-east Asian?
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Isn't that more Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. I suppose you could say 'Far Eastern' as you say in your OP. Anyway American think of Asia as Japan, Korea, etc mainly because that's the part of Asia they have had the most dealing with as opposed to the Indian Subcontinent which is strictly South Asia which Britain has had the most dealings with.

Same with us (us being Australians). It wasn't until I moved here that I heard Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi people being referred to as Asian.
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have once said oriental (I'm old school) but I got told off on the BB forum last year for saying it. Now I'd more than likely say possible country of origin, far east, Asia and my evidence would be deemed useless by police.
  • Options
    the spiz 2the spiz 2 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd think of Asian as being more the Chinese/Korean/Japanese area than the sub-continent.

But it's still too vague a description - if you took a Turkmen, an Afghani, an Indian, a Laotian, a Chinese and a Malay they are all Asian but they're won't be any major similarities. Even within China there are facial differences between areas. Just look at a Uighur and compare them to a Han for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Isn't that more Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. I suppose you could say 'Far Eastern' as you say in your OP. Anyway American think of Asia as Japan, Korea, etc mainly because that's the part of Asia they have had the most dealing with as opposed to the Indian Subcontinent which is strictly South Asia which Britain has had the most dealings with.

I found this graphic useful:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Populations.png
  • Options
    rossm2008rossm2008 Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chinese, Japanese and Korean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rossm2008 wrote: »
    Chinese, Japanese and Korean?

Yes, but could you tell the difference between these nationalities? Research shows people can't (some claim that Japanese/Chinese people have slightly different features) - a website was set up with Japanese, Chinese and Korean faces, with the hair removed so it was all facial and not cultural, and people were asked to guess which was which. It showed that people, even from these countries, couldn't differentiate.

And if you can't tell them apart, what do you call them?
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was lead to believe in my youth that Chinese, Japanese etc were Asian's until of course as I grew older I heard people referring to Indians, Pakistani's etc as Asians in which I then referred to Chinese, Japanese as Orientals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_people
  • Options
    the spiz 2the spiz 2 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones appearing below (on my screen at least) are definitely Chinese.
  • Options
    lucky74lucky74 Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In America the word Asian is used to describe far eastern ethnicity.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Galvatron wrote: »

Say you had to describe someone when reporting a crime. You could say "Well he was white, 6ft, medium build" Same with the word "black".

I believe the Police themselves use O1 (Chinese) and O9 (other oriental).
    Just say looked Oriental or looked Chinese/Japanese etc. What's the problem?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    What do you call people from China/Japan/Korea etc

Our Benefactors? :p
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    East Asian for China/Japan/Korea.

South East Asian for Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand/Malaysia etc.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say Chinese looking unless I know the exact country of origin.

I know it's probably frowned upon but I won't contort my sentences just so I don't offend someone who's not in ear shot anyway.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just say people from APAC

all encompasing
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    I say Chinese looking unless I know the exact country of origin.

I know it's probably frowned upon but I won't contort my sentences just so I don't offend someone who's not in ear shot anyway.

Which would probably be the same as someone from the Far East choosing to refer to you as German looking....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have once said oriental (I'm old school) but I got told off on the BB forum last year for saying it. Now I'd more than likely say possible country of origin, far east, Asia and my evidence would be deemed useless by police.
    Why on earth did they do that? For once I'm finding myself using the example of "do-gooders" (:o) taking offence on the behalf of others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but could you tell the difference between these nationalities? Research shows people can't (some claim that Japanese/Chinese people have slightly different features) - a website was set up with Japanese, Chinese and Korean faces, with the hair removed so it was all facial and not cultural, and people were asked to guess which was which. It showed that people, even from these countries, couldn't differentiate.

Not sure I follow your logic there. You could do the same with English, French and German people and probably wouldn't tell the difference, even if you were one of those nationalities. What I don't understand is how "If you can't tell them apart" should naturally be followed by "what do you call them?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »
    Not sure I follow your logic there. You could do the same with English, French and German people and probably wouldn't tell the difference, even if you were one of those nationalities. What I don't understand is how "If you can't tell them apart" should naturally be followed by "what do you call them?"

Ok well two points. The reason for the study was that a lot of people insisted they could tell the nationalities apart, mostly people from those countries, so someone set up a website to see if it was true. I'm sure if we did the same for western European countries the result would be the same.

The reason for my post is that we don't have a convenient word for the ethnicity of the far East in this country.

Imagine you had to describe someone to someone else. You might say something like "He's medium height, well built, white, dark hair". You could replace white with black or asian, asian meaning the subcontinent of south asia.

But there is no word to replace for 'oriental' people. Chinese is a nationality. You might not know the person is from China. They might be a work colleague and you've never asked them what country their parents come from. You just know what they look like, but there is no word to describe this.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I call them Asian because they are from Asia.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    I just say people from APAC

Typical EMEA attitude. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

I've tried that before, and then been met with a barrage of "that's not asian". I think it is just accepted in our language that the word is not used for the far East.

I'm no expert, but does the BBC asian service feature much Chinese/Japanese influenced content? It doesn't look like it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/asiannetwork/
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

Asia is a huge continent though, with lots of very different ethnicities.

Even among the Chinese. there are general physical differences between people of north & south.
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not particularly hard, East Asian for chinese/korean/japanese, south east asian for pacific asians and indo-siam, and south asian for subcontinent.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far eastern