Why does the government hate the disabled?

123457»

Comments

• SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Very nearly every post i have made on DS has been made from my N95 phone, not a keyboard and not from a desk but from me horizontal in bed. Much of the time, due to brain fog. I have trouble finding words for what I want to say. Like they're on the tip of my tongue but won't come out. You would find a lot of my posts are at the end of threads because by the time I've got my act together everyone else has understandably buggered off. It really doesn't matter on here but it would matter a lot in a job.

I might be here any time of the day or night as my bod won't allow a regular timetable. Sometimes I can stay awake for hours and indeed can't sleep. Others it's the opposite. Mostly my wake/rest goes in haphazard spells of wakefulness and clapped out. My abilities change daily, sometimes hourly. My disability is not "my legs", "my arms", "my guts" etc, but can be just about any part(s) of me at random. No way to predict what I can do or when I can or can't do it. Whatever I do, recovering from energy spent always takes considerably longer than spending it did.

A vital point is that people with disabilities aren't all like people with specific injuries where it's nice and predictably the same "fault" all the time.

vvvvv
    So, what job can anyone suggest for me?
    ^^^^^
    And yet there will still be people who say that because you post on the internet there must be some job you can do (they won't be able to specify what job of course, because it doesn't exist).
    TeaCosy wrote: »
    Elissa - when someone says some people on DLA pay tax, they don't mean VAT, they mean people on DLA who are working pay *income* tax. Not sure if that was clear. :)
    Lots of people seem to casually overlook the fact that DLA is not an out of work benefit.
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did my best to explain that it's not an out-of-work-benefit, but I don't think they wanted to understand it as it diluted their "sides" stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet there will still be people who say that because you post on the internet there must be some job you can do (they won't be able to specify what job of course, because it doesn't exist).

Lots of people seem to casually overlook the fact that DLA is not an out of work benefit.

Indeed, and it's ridiculous that, as has been said by various people, perfectly fit people struggle to get a job, yet those who are not so well are apparently going to have no problem getting work.
    WokStation wrote: »
    I did my best to explain that it's not an out-of-work-benefit, but I don't think they wanted to understand it as it diluted their "sides" stuff.

Well I thought what you wrote was crystal clear but there you go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, the reason that the government are overhauling the DLA is because it is seen as a barrier to work.

No, disability is seen as a barrier to work! I work at the moment for 4 hours a week in retail. If I am unlucky enough to end up reliant on a wheelchair, I'll have to quit as my workplace isn't designed for wheelchair use in the stockroom or staff room. Are my business willing to pay the thousands of pounds it would cost in order for it to be able for a wheelchair user to work, just one? Doubtful in these times