The Bridge BBC4 (UK pace) No spoilers!

Comments

• RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to congratulate all the sleuths on here, who managed to work things out before they were revealed to us.:cool:;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't look like he was upside down. He looked like he was lying horizontally. Of course, he was that way in the picture but his body language didn't look like he was vertical, either up or down.

Maybe August was strapped to the box? Keep him secure. That could explain the magical dancing on tiptoes?
  • xynariaxynaria Posts: 24,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame the Brits can't write drama of the quality that the Scandanavians can. A gripping and intelligent programme. Loved it.

Sorry but that's unfair...they can....maybe not very often but they certainly can.....check out State of Play for instance.
    zulu99 wrote: »
    you can get all the unit eps as dvds on that site. think it is 3-4 volumes.

linfran wrote: »
    Charlotte's Wig - it could have a series all of its own:D
    Why am I thjnking a petition is in order???? :D:D

Whilst I'm so glad to have met Saga and we are both over the moon about our imminent marriage, l have to admit that although the final episode redeemed things slightly, I feel a little 'let down' by Bron | Broen. :p

Just too many areas where I felt characters were too used purely for plot purposes and too many stretches of plausibilty in the overall plotting for me but hey ho it was still fun. :D
  • MrsMRMrsMR Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    I'd like to congratulate all the sleuths on here, who managed to work things out before they were revealed to us.:cool:;)

Ditto RP - quite a few people said it would end on The Bridge, identified Jens and predicted Mette & August's kidnap.

I liked the bit where August was walking past cafe where Frida saw him although it was contrived I didn't mind.

Right I can finish Girl who Played with Fire now without thinking about TB:D
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsMR wrote: »
    Ditto RP - quite a few people said it would end on The Bridge, identified Jens and predicted Mette & August's kidnap.

I liked the bit where August was walking past cafe where Frida saw him although it was contrived I didn't mind.

Right I can finish Girl who Played with Fire now without thinking about TB:D

Do you mean finish reading the book or watching the DVD. 'Cause if it's the DVD won't the presence of Stefan be a constant reminder of TB?:D
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And for those of you who've seen Very Important People, do you think Maria Sundbom might turn up and say "'allo, I used to be Sonja from The Bridge. I was the Swedish nation's sweet'art"

No? I'll get me coat :o
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was very good, though nowhere near as good as The Killing, in my opinion.

Reminded me a bit of Seven, right up until the end where Saga said if you kill him he wins.

One little nit pick as to the ending. Was Jens also a master builder who could work in double quick time? There's no way he could have built, plastered and painted that wall so perfectly and in so short a time, not to mention that it had fully set and needed sledge hammers to knock it down.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »

One little nit pick as to the ending. Was Jens also a master builder who could work in double quick time? There's no way he could have built, plastered and painted that wall so perfectly and in so short a time, not to mention that it had fully set and needed sledge hammers to knock it down.
    Personally, I don't think August was in that box, there were too many "errors" like that (the orientation of the box, the lack of a paint smell, that we didn't get to see what was in the box) - I think it was just another "fresh grave over grass"...

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think August was in that box, there were too many "errors" like that (the orientation of the box, the lack of a paint smell, that we didn't get to see what was in the box) - I think it was just another "fresh grave over grass"...

K

Kenny, do you mean they didn't find August and he's entombed somewhere else?
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kenny, do you mean they didn't find August and he's entombed somewhere else?

If that was the case then a)how do they know he is dead and b)have a funeral?

I cannot see the show ending with a missing August, and not even explaining that August was missing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that was the case then a)how do they know he is dead and b)have a funeral?

I cannot see the show ending with a missing August, and not even explaining that August was missing!

Getting my hopes up too high for a moment - I forgot about the funeral.:o
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that very slightly disrupted my enjoyment of the series was the strange way it had been subtitled. The subtitling didn't match the rhythm of the speakers. Often you had what someone was saying and the other persons reply before they had even spoken. Its hard to explain but it sort of ruined the acting for me. Sorry I can't express it more coherently.:)
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LondonKiwi wrote: »
    The only thing that very slightly disrupted my enjoyment of the series was the strange way it had been subtitled. The subtitling didn't match the rhythm of the speakers. Often you had what someone was saying and the other persons reply before they had even spoken. Its hard to explain but it sort of ruined the acting for me. Sorry I can't express it more coherently.:)

I found that hard in the first episode but I got used to it after a while.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

K
    We know he's dead, as there's a funeral as above. I think he built the wall, then put the box in. I couldn't find a shoot of the layout the house, but he could have removed the roof tiles or roofing and dropped it in.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed that and can't wait for the second series, I'm glad they didn't chicken out and have August found alive as I was expecting.

I think the problem with UK television is that we only have short series here because producers and channel boss's don't think the UK audience would sit through 10 weeks of something, even with this they showed 2 episodes a week to shorten its run, but at least it had a slow build up. I think if the UK did it, it would just be 5 episodes shown consecutively from Sunday to Thursday and the grittiness would be toned down and it would be set in London or Manchester.
  • CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnelle wrote: »
    the bridge of red herrings - looks like the writers ran out of ideas- v disappointing ending

Glad someone before me has expressed exactly my own sentiments. :mad:
    Still , they kept our brains charged up ?I know I found myself doing the dishes days after episodes , going through the storylines and I can't yet get the song out of my head .

A plus was, Saga has developed due to Martin's teaching her about expressing emotions and encouragment when she does . Excellent rapport between them.

Never expected August to die and in that particular way.:cry:
    Re the post suggesting August isn't really dead.
    Is this based on the idea that Jens , who's still alive [?}thinks he is , so that after a mock funeral August and Martin's family are no longer in any danger?

Just read in the press that we won't be seeing series 2 until late 2013.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    The innocent people he killed earlier on he didn't have any excuses for them? All that rammbling on about justice and being equal etc was just a decoy because he wasn't really looking to lecture people.
    Agreed. It's seems especially bizarre as he apparently had no intention of getting away scot free. His plan was to be killed by Martin, in the hope that this destroyed Martin's career. So the decoys were only needed for a few days. After that it wouldn't matter.
  • MrsMRMrsMR Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Do you mean finish reading the book or watching the DVD. 'Cause if it's the DVD won't the presence of Stefan be a constant reminder of TB?:D

The Book
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I thought the subtitles were ok, whilst at points you knew what was coming next a while before the actor spoke, sometimes it was removed too soon, as fewer words were spoken and the subtitles seemed to elaborate. Maybe it was me trying to combine reading and looking at the actors too long or short! Always ended up rewinding or having a complete rerun later. Still prefer this to English dubbing, which would not have allowed us to garner the true character, particularly Saga who with her facial expressions, was wonderful.

When the difference in dialects was explained earlier in the thread, I found it easy to spot and how each differed, but would be understood.
  • DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Well that was two hours of great tv. It took us everywhere once Jens confirmed as TT and that as suggested by many, Martin had shagged his wife.

Enough open ended situations to go forward into series two and as I thought, Saga continued to grow very fond of Martin and that she did go out on a limb to not necessarily save him, perhaps too obvious, but save his career and freedom. Loved the way she just put her hand on his hand in the car, when he began to brrakdown and again the extent of the unmentioned bond at the end in hospital. But he did get her to admit she missed him when he didn't stay at hers. She cancelled her complaint against him, as much about what she has learnt from him and the emotions demonstrated as she shed the tear for Hans leaving. Just made me love her more.

Whilst Martin taught her how to lie, he knew that he could ask her to state the full lie otherwise she would cave and she did. Thought it was strange she managed not to tell the team of Martin and Jens wife, particularly after she knew Martin had told Mette. Saga must have taken and hidden the boxes with Mikaela's things, where the diary gave the game away. The team were struggling and she again remained loyal. Was shocked when she was shot by Jens, but clever in playing dead, still using her determination to get up and note the car and enough of the reg no, before the weird eye roll and collapse.

So it was all about the betrayal leading to the unbearable loss of his son and the extreme way to exact ultimate revenge, including those involved in the police and prosecution failures along the way. Alot of incidental stories built in along the way and some really irrelevant other than to confuse and intrigue. Once the point was revealed, it was concluded well, with emotions left open and unknown which way they'll end.

Overall, it's been unmissable viewing and will continue to wonder how the two forces and importantly, Saga and Martin be teamed together again. With Hans off, doubt Martin would move to Malmo, even if Mette divorces him and would he be considered for the job? Come what may it's going to be a hard series to repeat and take forward, but Saga is wonderful and should remain the way we love her being, although, the conversations after her interaction education, were often priceless comedy and should continue here and there.

Well said woodentop. Brilliant series, really engrossing and I loved watching every minute of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Absolutely loved this show. Saga is a great character and the relationship between her and Martin was really nicely developed, especially the thread running through the series about her inability to lie culminating in her having to lie to Martin about August not being dead. Brilliant stuff.

Likewise I thought it was a bit out of character when Martin had sex with Charlotte Soringer until we realised that he has a history of infidelity and, of course, was revealed as the man Jens' wife was having an affair with.

I thought the scene with Saga trying to lie about August pulled at the heart strings very nicely too. Martin is a dirty dog, I've got a feeling he might have learnt his lesson this time. :rolleyes:

Great interplay between Saga and Martin throughout - but I hope we've not seen the end of the Saga-isms and she keeps her quirkiness in future.

Really enjoyed watching Sofie Helin and Kim Bodina in this but there were so many strong actors in this alongside them too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for making this a great thread to dip into. :D It's been fun working through all the theories and reading everyones take on things. I do love these Euro threads. :D

roll on Sebastian Bergman next weekend...:cool:
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denley wrote: »
    I thought the scene with Saga trying to lie about August pulled at the heart strings very nicely too. Martin is a dirty dog, I've got a feeling he might have learnt his lesson this time. :rolleyes:

Great interplay between Saga and Martin throughout - but I hope we've not seen the end of the Saga-isms and she keeps her quirkiness in future.

Really enjoyed watching Sofie Helin and Kim Bodina in this but there were so many strong actors in this alongside them too.

And when her boss ( I forget his name ) told her he was moving on :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And when her boss ( I forget his name ) told her he was moving on :cry:

Yeah that got me too - I think Martin became a surrogate Hans for her, slowly but surely becoming more reliant on him to get through her little difficulties with normal life.

It's the little attention to details I liked in this - the nervous looking police guard on Martin's driveway after August's kidnap had me chuckling.

I will miss this.