Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Well, I think he's adorable in everything.:o There are too many acting projects to pick from. I've enjoyed almost all of his shows and also love seeing him as 'himself' in interviews. I'm hoping he'll host or even come on as a contestant on HIGNFY again!!:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akh4G8zGNSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iz7yuHmTpc

I put these together just because I thought they're funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx-Wt3VJELQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EnFvSAtehA

I second that emotion!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I second that emotion!!!!

Utterly edible...

Where that's spoon ...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    You know, I sure hope so. And we're all free to imagine what we will -- I certainly enjoy your imaginings in your fanfic (love Duty of Care as well).

I just think that he is generally presented in S1-S3 as shy, inhibited, repressed, and extremely awkward romantically. The scene just before the passionate kiss, with his hand inching towards hers on the taxi seat, was like a 13 year old boy on his first date in a movie theatre. And that is hard to reconcile with the idea that he is sexually experienced, etc., although I grant you that it is theoretically possible.

Edith comes into the picture as a necessary plot addition in S4, and so we get the idea of a romantic and sexual past with her, which was necessary for us to even entertain the idea that she was a threat to Louisa. But even though necessary for the plot, to me it was somewhat in conflict with the way DM had been presented in previous series.

However, as in everything else here, we all see things differently and that's the fun of it.

I have gone out with guys who were very heistant at first but definitely experienced. I don't think ones experience dictates how you act around somone new who you really like but are unsure of. Much more attractive, I think for the guy to be hesitant and unsure rather than a know it all.

See 2nd ep of The Young Montalbano. The gorgeous girl rejected the confident been-there guy and went after the young (and diffident) Montalbano. :)

As all of you will remember too there were some guys who you just adored and wanted to go out with only to find that they just weren't compatable with you when you kissed so kissing is a pretty big test and bound to make anyone nervous no matter how experienced.

Go and listen to Jack White singing I'm shakin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvpoiiBW9bc
    I think this gives a guys perspetive maybe????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . Progressively throughout the show we see a more inhibited, mannered Doc. What a shame that the spark that both CC and MC have as actors and in real life seldom blossoms here! The leap in S1 from the uncertain hands to the responsive kiss is enormous - and very compelling. I have hopes for S6. Boy, am I in a soppy mood lately!

I think the progressively buttoned DM was MC idea. Ill considered IMO :)
    I still think they can have the humour of earlier series mixed in with a LITTLE angst and a lot of tender looks etc :D:D:D and real progression towards a successful relationship. I really hope they achieve it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't disagree more with MC when he said people want - what was it he said? Despair? Something like that. I tell you there is so little good news in Australia ATM that people are switching off the news. More than anything we need a bit if humour and happiness.

My biggest worry is that they will never be able to make a leap from Doctor Depression to Doctor Delight. See I don't want too much - I don't want Doctor Dancing on the ceiling or Doctor Disco or Doctor Darling or Doctor drag me off to the bushes.

Oooops! Of course I meant Doctor Drag LG off to the bushes. What was I thinking!!!:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Well, I think he's adorable in everything.:o There are too many acting projects to pick from. I've enjoyed almost all of his shows and also love seeing him as 'himself' in interviews. I'm hoping he'll host or even come on as a contestant on HIGNFY again!!:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akh4G8zGNSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iz7yuHmTpc

I put these together just because I thought they're funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx-Wt3VJELQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EnFvSAtehA

So nice to see MC smile and act happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching Farscape on DVD lately (those who are following my current story know that).

Listening to the audio commentary of the Season 1, Episode 22 finale, Ben Browder (John Crichton) said that this episode was filmed when they did not know if there would be a second season. As he put it, "And if that had happened, Farscape would only live on in fan fiction."

Made me laugh aloud. Oh yeah. Well, Ben that show ended in 2004, and eight years later your ARE in FF.

Eights years after DM ends, I am sure the same will be true!

Rob
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »
    Good idea. :)
    I'll chat to DR and see what we can do. Wordpress isn't very user friendly for that sort of thing but we might be able to set it up.

What you can do to make it simple is set up another free blog at wordpress call it 'Dene's spot' or something not so obvious that it won't get a ton of 'outside' DM hits which will create alot of hassles. Put up a post called 'Plot Bunny Hutch' or whatever name up on it. Restrict comments on that blog to registered users only and either place the link under 'Links' or another section of your blog making a note next to it 'registered users only'. Or, if you want to keep it real quiet, have folks PM you here and over at the fan fic site for the link to it and keep it off the DMO blog entirely.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, I sure hope so. And we're all free to imagine what we will -- I certainly enjoy your imaginings in your fanfic (love Duty of Care as well).

I just think that he is generally presented in S1-S3 as shy, inhibited, repressed, and extremely awkward romantically. The scene just before the passionate kiss, with his hand inching towards hers on the taxi seat, was like a 13 year old boy on his first date in a movie theatre. And that is hard to reconcile with the idea that he is sexually experienced, etc., although I grant you that it is theoretically possible.

Edith comes into the picture as a necessary plot addition in S4, and so we get the idea of a romantic and sexual past with her, which was necessary for us to even entertain the idea that she was a threat to Louisa. But even though necessary for the plot, to me it was somewhat in conflict with the way DM had been presented in previous series.

However, as in everything else here, we all see things differently and that's the fun of it.

Well, it's funny that folks seem to be assuming that LG is wonderful in bed. How do we know that. She doesn't seem to have much experience, herself, and although she wants sex and has a more obvious libido, doesn't necessarily mean she is apt at this and that herself. Does some of her over-reactive nature show up in bed, too? We also don't know that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark, as usual you are right on the mark. We see glaring inconsistencies in the Doc's behavior. So how do we explain this? Different writers? Absence of recent experience makes the Doc regress? He's traumatized by AJ's death and being trapped in a biscuit town, so he has a no romantic/sexual feelings? One thing seems fairly consistent: he needs Louisa to take the lead, and then the floodgates can open. Progressively throughout the show we see a more inhibited, mannered Doc. What a shame that the spark that both CC and MC have as actors and in real life seldom blossoms here! The leap in S1 from the uncertain hands to the responsive kiss is enormous - and very compelling. I have hopes for S6. Boy, am I in a soppy mood lately!

I'm not sure the above is an accurate reading of DM. In S1 we already see him having dreams of LG on top of him, in lingerie, obviously beginning to make love to him. How we can say then that he is has no sexual feelings. He has them, he wants her!

Romance is a different thing. DM is not alone in the masculine gender as lacking in the nuances of being romantic.

Many shy people can be bursting with internal passion. As in "Don't judge a book by its cover", sort of axioms. Just remember their kiss on the patio--the steam starting hissing off them after just a few seconds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I have gone out with guys who were very heistant at first but definitely experienced. I don't think ones experience dictates how you act around somone new who you really like but are unsure of. Much more attractive, I think for the guy to be hesitant and unsure rather than a know it all.

I agree with cc.cookie. "Experienced" guys can still not be good in bed, too.

What we have with DM is a man who desperately WANTS to please "his woman" and make her happy;

And I do think clues are there that as lovers they did very well. We all know that smirk on DM's face when he is dressing in the morning, sitting on her bed; the audience would naturally assume its because the last night went pretty darn well. Then, we see LG wanting more sex right away. She comes over to his home for a nutritional dinner looking forward to spending the night. The director seems to deliberately lead the viewer to think the first time was pretty good and they are pleased with their bedroom fun.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, it's funny that folks seem to be assuming that LG is wonderful in bed. How do we know that. She doesn't seem to have much experience, herself, and although she wants sex and has a more obvious libido, doesn't necessarily mean she is apt at this and that herself. Does some of her over-reactive nature show up in bed, too? We also don't know that.

I don't make any assumptions at all about LG's libido or experience. Odd that -- it's of MUCH less interest to me than DM's!;):D
    I'm not sure the above is an accurate reading of DM. In S1 we already see him having dreams of LG on top of him, in lingerie, obviously beginning to make love to him. How we can say then that he is has no sexual feelings. He has them, he wants her!

Romance is a different thing. DM is not alone in the masculine gender as lacking in the nuances of being romantic.

Many shy people can be bursting with internal passion. As in "Don't judge a book by its cover", sort of axioms. Just remember their kiss on the patio--the steam starting hissing off them after just a few seconds.

I didn't say that he had no sexual feelings. I said they were repressed and inhibited, which is quite different. We all know that what we want and do in dreams may be quite different from what we are consciously thinking. :eek::)

Indeed, I do think that he is probably passionate, once those barriers go down.

What we have with DM is a man who desperately WANTS to please "his woman" and make her happy;

And I do think clues are there that as lovers they did very well. We all know that smirk on DM's face when he is dressing in the morning, sitting on her bed; the audience would naturally assume its because the last night went pretty darn well. Then, we see LG wanting more sex right away. She comes over to his home for a nutritional dinner looking forward to spending the night. The director seems to deliberately lead the viewer to think the first time was pretty good and they are pleased with their bedroom fun.

Well, he's not an adolescent boy, he's a man in his 40's with presumably an extensive knowledge of female anatomy. I would assume, unless he's a dope, that things would go pretty well. They're obviously very sexually attracted to each other, and not necessarily for their skill level.

Anyway, I'm just sort of riffing off of his comment to Mr. Pierce that one party is always keener than the other -- wondering how that translates to our dynamic duo (as I think we are meant to do). :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    I also tend to think, in the proposal scene, where she says to him "youre a remarkable man" he responds "you know Im not" rather than just "No Im not" !! Which could have very different meanings IMO !!! Very clever writing;):) x

Helloooo, RubyRedi, glad to see you back recently.

I always thought he said, "No, I'm not", but now that you've mentioned an alternative, I'm forced to go back and watch it yet again. Poor, poor me. :D Yes, the two responses have very different meanings. I'll also switch on the subtitles (but I've noticed a few moments in which I think whoever did the subtitles got it wrong).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you here mona.

Except that I didn't say experienced guys can be not good in bed (although that can be true). I was trying to say that experienced guys can be as nervous and hesitant as DM is. I don't think his behaviour is inconsistent with his sexual experience.

I think it goes pretty well for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've enjoyed reading what several of you have said about Martin's awkwardness, bedroom skills, etc. In fact, I'm now thoroughly distracted. Yes, Mona, the "clues" are all over the place. Biff likes clues. I just have a few thoughts to toss in among all of the interesting things you've all said.

Socially, Martin is awkward, and around Louisa or other women, he's sometimes even shy. Louisa complains about his not moving their relationship forward (it's always up to her, she says) and she's right. I think it isn't that he doesn't want to move the relationship forward; he just doesn't know how. Finally, after an emotional break-up and assorted events that conspire to throw DM and LG together, in desperation he makes a huge leap and proposes, skipping all of the in-between stuff that he's never been able to fathom. Once that's happened, I think we don't necessarily need to worry about the "skills" of either of them. I think this has been such a long time coming (er, so to speak) and they're both so in love and attracted to each other that they do just fine, thank you very much.

As for DM's experience, I think we might limit it to Edith, although I bet there have been a couple of other casual events in his past. Anyway, as I've said, I figure Edith ran the show in every way. He didn't have to initiate anything, make decisions, move the relationship forward, worry about awkwardness, the right thing to say, etc. It appears to me that this mixed up relationship with Louisa is his first "real" relationship, the first time a woman has actually expected him to speak his feelings, to at least help move the relationship forward, to be a real partner. To make matters more complicated, I think Louisa is unsure and insecure too, although she shows it in completely different ways.

So what's my point here? Seriously, what is my point here?

Oh. I think the problem these two have had is getting the relationship from Point A to about Point M (or so). Neither one of them has really known how to do it. So Doc leaps ahead and moves them to Point S, at which point they go upstairs and do just fine. Then, of course, they both get terrified because they've skipped so much of the alphabet and Point S is really scarey. And that's just through S3.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sat down and watched the two Doc Martin movies again last night. Love to see the kinder, gentler doc, but in the second one he was starting to show traits of the one we now know and love :rolleyes:

But my focus was on locations after a couple of recent remarks here. Someone mentioned that the publican's kitchen looked like AJ's kitchen - and it absolutely is! I paid careful attention to the areas of the room that they showed and it is absolutely the same room. The outside also matches. I also paid close attention to the house Martin was trying to purchase, but I don't think it is the Flynt house. Lots of those farms have the same look to them but I didn't see anything that really matched up.

But the most interesting thing for me is the pub in both movies is the same pub as in S4 - the one I have been going crazy trying to find. It is the pub that Louisa walks into when all the locals discover she is pregnant. There is a poster or plaque by the door that says "The Victoria". The room is bigger than the room we usually see from The Golden Lion and the staircase going upstairs is fancier. We see Louisa going up there in that scene and we also see it in the next episode where she is sitting next to the staircase grading papers and goes upstairs to get away from the noise. This pub also has a peek through the bar to people sitting in another area - similar to what we can see at The Golden Lion. I have read that The Golden Lion has another pub on the lower level (The middle level that we normally see is the one entered from Fore St and has the balcony). I almost wonder if it is there, although I just don't know. This is making me crazy - if I haven't found it by this summer, those of you going over there will just have to do some major pub hopping to see if you can find it. I know, a tough assignment, but someone has to do it! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that I didn't say experienced guys can be not good in bed (although that can be true). I was trying to say that experienced guys can be as nervous and hesitant as DM is. I don't think his behaviour is inconsistent with his sexual experience.

I think it just may be that it has been awhile since he has had these feelings and probably has concentrated his life on his work. I understand these feelings myself. When you get to your late 30s or 40s and have not found the right person, some people just put that part of their lives into the background and concentrate on career and their own lives as a single person. I think long married people would find this difficult to understand, but while we keep open the option that we just might meet that person one day, we get on with our single lives, collect a houseful of stuff that pleases us (like the doc obviously has) and if we have a fulfilling type of job we immerse ourselves into it.

I think that is where Martin is when he arrives in Portwenn, but he is blindsided by his attraction to Louisa. I can completely understand his reticence in going too strongly after her - although he DID make the first real move in the car washing scene. I think he wanted to take things slowly and have them get to know each other but got a jolt when he almost lost her to Danny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I've enjoyed reading what several of you have said about Martin's awkwardness, bedroom skills, etc. In fact, I'm now thoroughly distracted. Yes, Mona, the "clues" are all over the place. Biff likes clues. I just have a few thoughts to toss in among all of the interesting things you've all said.

Socially, Martin is awkward, and around Louisa or other women, he's sometimes even shy. Louisa complains about his not moving their relationship forward (it's always up to her, she says) and she's right. I think it isn't that he doesn't want to move the relationship forward; he just doesn't know how. Finally, after an emotional break-up and assorted events that conspire to throw DM and LG together, in desperation he makes a huge leap and proposes, skipping all of the in-between stuff that he's never been able to fathom. Once that's happened, I think we don't necessarily need to worry about the "skills" of either of them. I think this has been such a long time coming (er, so to speak) and they're both so in love and attracted to each other that they do just fine, thank you very much.

As for DM's experience, I think we might limit it to Edith, although I bet there have been a couple of other casual events in his past. Anyway, as I've said, I figure Edith ran the show in every way. He didn't have to initiate anything, make decisions, move the relationship forward, worry about awkwardness, the right thing to say, etc. It appears to me that this mixed up relationship with Louisa is his first "real" relationship, the first time a woman has actually expected him to speak his feelings, to at least help move the relationship forward, to be a real partner. To make matters more complicated, I think Louisa is unsure and insecure too, although she shows it in completely different ways.

So what's my point here? Seriously, what is my point here?

Oh. I think the problem these two have had is getting the relationship from Point A to about Point M (or so). Neither one of them has really known how to do it. So Doc leaps ahead and moves them to Point S, at which point they go upstairs and do just fine. Then, of course, they both get terrified because they've skipped so much of the alphabet and Point S is really scarey. And that's just through S3.

Biff, you never fail to crack me up! Love the point A to point M to point S stuff. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://bibchr.blogspot.com/2013/01/doc-martin-and-redemption.html

Oh, WHERE is PoorRichard when we need her?

Rather of a humorless take on Doc Martin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://bibchr.blogspot.com/2013/01/doc-martin-and-redemption.html

Oh, WHERE is PoorRichard when we need her?

Rather of a humorless take on Doc Martin.

I'm not going to get into a discussion of religion except to say that it clearly influences the blogger's view of the show.

He starts out fine, in giving a broad synopsis and description of the show. It's when he got into the so-called spoiler section that I saw the first error. Here's a quote, referring to how S3 ended:

"In this sequence, both are revealed as selfish people, though Louisa less so. That is, they both primarily want to be made happy by someone."

This isn't what happened! It was the opposite! Doc with his arm up the pig's you-know-what is told that what's important is, "Do I make her happy?" and his realization that he won't make Louisa happy is what results in his backing out.

And then, after his spoiler section, the blogger gets into his own opinions of the show. He doesn't like it, primarily, it seems, because he doesn't think DM is looking for redemption. And here's where I think he really goes off the rails:

"For instance, there's a ranger who's insane and has come close to killing several characters. Funny? Not a lot."

What characters did Stewart try to kill????

"One religious character had an ongoing presence, yet his religion was shapeless and powerless, and both it and he were ultimately mocked and waved aside dismissively."

He's talking about Danny, right? See, this is a prime example of religious fervor coloring the reviewer's opinion. I mean, really, Danny? I'm sure he hated Doc's "like malaria" comment.

"Only two even semi-hopes came by. One was a psychologist who immediately diagnosed Ellingham as having Asperger's, which at least would have explained his rudeness pathologically."

Okay, now he's referring to creepy Anthony Oakwood as a "semi-hope".

"But to date, they've not put themselves together, and in the real world (A) Louisa wouldn't even be available in the first place, and (B) this link-up never would have happened."

Why not to both A and B?

Can't wait to read what this person writes after he's watched S4 and 5 in which DM and LG have a baby out of wedlock and follow it up by living together without marrying.

NewPark, thanks for the link. It definitely was interesting reading and gave us much more than so many blogs and websites which just rehash the same old-same old. I disagree with this person, but, still, it was a good read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I know what you said, cc.cookie.

I was expanding on that with my own thoughts by listing the opposite possibility of experienced men in bed, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As all of you will remember too there were some guys who you just adored and wanted to go out with only to find that they just weren't compatable with you when you kissed so kissing is a pretty big test and bound to make anyone nervous no matter how experienced.

Go and listen to Jack White singing I'm shakin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvpoiiBW9bc
    I think this gives a guys perspetive maybe????

So much agree with you. And thanks for the Jack White link. What an interesting video as well as expressive of the guy's perspective. Guys are nervous, too, even though we women might think we want that manly-man type who seems so in charge.

Which leads me to thinking about the issue of "bad boys" and how some girls are so attracted to them. Maybe it is a girl's unrealized but intuitive reading of a bad boy that also informs the girl of the "little boy", insecure, etc. etc. inside them that she then responds to and ends up falling for. To help, mother, etc.etc. Just thinking. :confused:

And while DM isn't a bad boy in the conventional sense, he still has a manliness/in charge thing about him, while Louisa has ample opportunity to pick up on the little boy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to get into a discussion of religion except to say that it clearly influences the blogger's view of the show.

He starts out fine, in giving a broad synopsis and description of the show. It's when he got into the so-called spoiler section that I saw the first error. Here's a quote, referring to how S3 ended:

"In this sequence, both are revealed as selfish people, though Louisa less so. That is, they both primarily want to be made happy by someone."

This isn't what happened! It was the opposite! Doc with his arm up the pig's you-know-what is told that what's important is, "Do I make her happy?" and his realization that he won't make Louisa happy is what results in his backing out.

And then, after his spoiler section, the blogger gets into his own opinions of the show. He doesn't like it, primarily, it seems, because he doesn't think DM is looking for redemption. And here's where I think he really goes off the rails:

"For instance, there's a ranger who's insane and has come close to killing several characters. Funny? Not a lot."

"One religious character had an ongoing presence, yet his religion was shapeless and powerless, and both it and he were ultimately mocked and waved aside dismissively."

He's talking about Danny, right? See, this is a prime example of religious fervor coloring the reviewer's opinion. I mean, really, Danny? I'm sure he hated Doc's "like malaria" comment.

"Only two even semi-hopes came by. One was a psychologist who immediately diagnosed Ellingham as having Asperger's, which at least would have explained his rudeness pathologically."

"But to date, they've not put themselves together, and in the real world (A) Louisa wouldn't even be available in the first place, and (B) this link-up never would have happened."

Why not to both A and B?

Can't wait to read what this person writes after he's watched S4 and 5 in which DM and LG have a baby out of wedlock and follow it up by living together without marrying.

NewPark, thanks for the link. It definitely was interesting reading and gave us much more than so many blogs and websites which just rehash the same old-same old. I disagree with this person, but, still, it was a good read.

In total agreement, Biffpup. I thought it was pretty biased. It caught my eye because of PoorRichard's iinterest in DM's "redemption."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not to both A and B?

Thank you, Biffpup. I just read the blog, too, and shook my head almost all the way through. He really needs to rewatch it with the captions on, and his eyes glued to the TV so he can begin to really take in everything that is there on the screen.

It reminds me of how I started watching DM while crocheting and missing some dialogue because of accent issues and missing tons of information that you only get visually. Finally my crochet project was done and I watched with my whole attention on the screen and realized what I'd been missing. Then I rewatched with a hearing-impaired person with captions on, and realized I still had missed some very funny or important bits.

And this forum discussion continues to bring insights that I didn't grasp myself.

And thank you all very much for it. What a great group!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    In series 3 episode 6 - when DM is knocking on the door of the sisters' house, there are stairs just beyond him. The word TREASURES is set into the stair case. I think the scene is shot outside of an old shop or something.

Our group from the Washington Doc Martin meetup group may try to go to Port Isaac in May.

Wow! How cool! How many in your group are going? How long will you be there? Are you all going to stay at the same place?
This discussion has been closed.