I cannot STAND Alexander Armstrong

Comments

• GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so sorry OP, it's horrible when someone you can't stand is beloved by millions :D

I have to say I love him too, he makes the smarmy chat-show banter seem almost convincing and dare I say it, charming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    I find him quite charming and amusing so NER

Me to *blows raspberry at OP*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    To be honest, he wouldnt have got the quiz show gigs if it wasnt for Angus Deayton falling out of favour, but other than that, he seems likeable enough.

A safe pair of hands basically.

Have to disagree. Deayton was quite qood acting in One Foot In The Grave but on HIGNFY he was basically only reading the autocue. Armstrong interacts far better with Richard and the guests than Angus did - he's quicker and wittier as well in my opinion
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I rather like him.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked him in 'Micro Men', never seen him in anything else.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jealousy is a terrible thing
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    Jealousy is a terrible thing

If you've seen the thread contending what should be the resting place of Richard the Third's remained, and seen the OP's comments on Leicester, quite independently of its suitably as a resting place for the monarch concerned, you will see he is of a petty and malicious cast of mind.
  • MrsSkittlesMrsSkittles Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I really like him, love Pointless too, and I'm part of the fancy him brigade lol
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved the 'street' RAF pilots and Brabbins and Fyffe.

:D:D:D

I once read on DS that the families of Flanders and Swann, upon whom Brabbins and Fyfe were based found those characters rather funny
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I once read on DS that the families of Flanders and Swann, upon whom Brabbins and Fyfe were based found those characters rather funny

It was very affectionately done, but certainly ruder than F & S!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSrXqOI9988
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His smug, sneering, self-satisfied face makes watching 'Pointless' unbearable.

:mad:

For you, maybe. I don't quite understand why you expect anyone to care. I may as well start a thread telling everyone I don't like cheese, but regularly force-feed myself huge chunks of it.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Random fact: Emma Watson lived next door to him

so you were watching pointless the other day then when he mentioned that:D
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    For you, maybe. I don't quite understand why you expect anyone to care. I may as well start a thread telling everyone I don't like cheese, but regularly force-feed myself huge chunks of it.

:D:D:D
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    so you were watching pointless the other day then when he mentioned that:D

What conclusion are you trying to reach?

FYI, I'm neither a fan or hater of him, but Pointless is ruined by the amount of small talk.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the 'street' RAF pilots.

BIB - we use that sketch as part of our GCSE English course as an example of scripted conversation written as if it's spontaneous!
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    What conclusion are you trying to reach?

FYI, I'm neither a fan or hater of him, but Pointless is ruined by the amount of small talk.

I leave it on pause for 15 minutes and then fast-forward Armstrong's repellent waffle. I can't bear hearing him say 'And what do you do?' to every contestant followed by a totally insincere 'wow...' I can make up those 15 minutes easily and still turn over and watch Eggheads at 6.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I leave it on pause for 15 minutes and then fast-forward Armstrong's repellent waffle. I can't bear hearing him say 'And what do you do?' to every contestant followed by a totally insincere 'wow...' I can make up those 15 minutes easily and still turn over and watch Eggheads at 6.

And what do you do for the other 30 odd minutes if you find AA 'repellent? Wear a blindfold? :D
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too think he's great, liked him ever since the Pimms adverts initially because he looks, sounds and has similar mannerisms to one of my oldest friends. Love Pointless :)
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I love Pointless (my niece has the boardgame and its good value for money at family get-togethers) however - even I have to admit - I'm beginning to get tired of Alexander. I loved him on the Armstrong & Miller Show and I liked him at the beginning of Pointless - but he really is doing the whole thing by rote and isn't bringing anything new to the table. His bits are totally boring (whilst I find Richard constantly entertaining and witty). I know that he is tied by constraints - but compare him to Bradley Walsh on The Chase - also bound by certain constraints and yet makes each and every show come across as fresh - he seems to have some personal input. I tire of Alexander's face when he KNOWS a contestant has got an incorrect answer and yet says 'lets see if its right' whilst looking at the camera in a smugger than smug way. You know when a contestant has got an answer wrong on The Chase (before the answer comes up) by the look on Bradley's face - but he doesn't do it in a smug way.

Anyway - I still like the show - but I think its largely down to the format and Richard Osman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Alexander on Pointless and like Armstrong and Miller too

...... and wouldn't kick either of them out of bed :cool: :D
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    diamond1 wrote: »
    I really like Alexander on Pointless and like Armstrong and Miller too

...... and wouldn't kick either of them out of bed :cool: :D
    I do think Miller is the more fanciable one though. And he was bloody brilliant in 'The Worst Week? Of My Life'.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His smug, sneering, self-satisfied face makes watching 'Pointless' unbearable.

:mad:

I agree.

Miller is an interesting chap though. A guy you could happily have a pint with and talk about the universe.
  • TootlesTheTaxiTootlesTheTaxi Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I do think Miller is the more fanciable one though. And he was bloody brilliant in 'The Worst Week? Of My Life'.

I find Alexander more fanciable but Ben is the more talented of the two. I like them both though.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I think he's gorgeous!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Alexander and Richard and the chemistry is spot on between them. It wouldn't be the same with anyone else. It's the best quiz show on TV and I'm surprised it's never won loads of awards.

But I really want to see a Pointless/Eggheads special. CJ has already been on, now I'd like to see the others have a go.