Options

Are we over sensitive to throw away remarks.

benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
UKIPS Godfrey Bloom has whip withdrawn for calling women who did not clean behind the fridge "sluts".
It seems to me it was said in the spirit of the rather jokey discussion. Or is there something deeper going on here.?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24175041

Im a ****, behind my fridge is shocking!!!!:eek:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since it's defined as a slovenly woman I'd say he was accurate.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends if you believe that he wasn't thinking of the "modern" sense of the word.

And if you think it's hilarious to make jokes about "women not cleaning behind the fridge" - cos cleaning is a woman's job, am I right?

But to be fair, his racism today has been far, far worse than his sexism.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm not sexist, but..."

In the context of the discussion it seemed to be a lighthearted piece of risque banter. If so then if anyone is being "sensitive" it's Bloom's party leader Nigel Farage who's withdrawn the whip from him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Why are sexist men always so ugly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    "I'm not sexist, but..."

In the context of the discussion it seemed to be a lighthearted piece of risque banter. If so then if anyone is being "sensitive" it's Bloom's party leader Nigel Farage who's withdrawn the whip from him.

That's what I thought too. We appear to bending over backwards for fear of causing offence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I'd have to move my fridge completely to clean behind it.

Aka, it's never been cleaned back there.

Am I a **** now? :(
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We say things in private we would never say if we were in public, we are all hypocrites of the highest order.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    UKIPS Godfrey Bloom has whip withdrawn for calling women who did not clean behind the fridge "sluts".
    It seems to me it was said in the spirit of the rather jokey discussion. Or is there something deeper going on here.?

Imagine the uproar if someone made a racist joke at an ethnic event, or a homophobic joke at a LBGT event. Sexist jokes should be treated no differently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    In this one example, it's ridiculous, over-reactionary rubbish. My mother-in-law called me a **** once! Jokingly, and of course (thank heavens) meaning slovenly :D She's older generation and that's what the word means to her.

However, he also refers to the third world as 'bongo bongo land' - bit different and rather more concerning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member

Possibly because women don't find them attractive, those men dislike women as people. I think it's part of the syndrome where if a woman doesn't respond to a man's advances, she must be a lesbian. In other words, being ugly tends to make some of them sexist, not the other way round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Lordy! Did anyone else chuckle at hearing the newsreaders say 'sluts' just now :o

'... you sad little man'! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine the uproar if someone made a racist joke at an ethnic event, or a homophobic joke at a LBGT event. Sexist jokes should be treated no differently.

Ok but there was not an awkward pause, by all accounts the women laughed. I would have too.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're supposed to clean behind the fridge? :eek::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »

Apparently:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had mine built in so I can't.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    It was a stupid thing to say but I do think people are over sensitive these days.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I agree. And, in this case, the prejudice probably runs deep from what is known of him, and the banter excuse doesn't change that. The banter excuse is often used to express deep-seated prejudices without the same risk of being called on them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why should women clean behind the fridge, the man can. Are
    his the mans arms broken?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cathye143 wrote: »
    Possibly because women don't find them attractive, those men dislike women as people. I think it's part of the syndrome where if a woman doesn't respond to a man's advances, she must be a lesbian. In other words, being ugly tends to make some of them sexist, not the other way round.

so the harder a wife works, the cuter she looks:D:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of this is a generation thing tho. My dad didn't even know where our fridge was. Neither did we. We didn't have one:eek:
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know. It came as a huge shock to me. :eek:
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of this is a generation thing tho. My dad didn't even know where our fridge was. Neither did we. We didn't have one:eek:
    In this particular case, Bloom is 63 so lived through all the changes of the 60s and onwards. I know loads of 63+ year olds who aren't like him. He chooses his attitudes.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are they?
    Maybe the same reason Feminists are ugly, or are they?
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

The 11th Commandment :rolleyes:
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    In this particular case, Bloom is 63 so lived through all the changes of the 60s and onwards. I know loads of 63+ year olds who aren't like him. He chooses his attitudes.

57 and cringing :o