Options

Topside of beef...

DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a 1.9 kg joint of topside that I want to roast in the oven. I've not done a beef joint in ages and I used to bung it in the slow cooker which was ok but I want to master the art of a tender oven roasted joint that will slice well instead of falling apart like slow cooker beef does.

I would be grateful for advice, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sear it well on all sides. Pre-heat the oven to it's highest temp. Put the seared beef on a bed of chopped onions, carrots and celery and a cup of water. Put beef in oven, turn it down to 180 for the allotted time but DO NOT OVERCOOK. Take the beef out of the oven, cover with foil for at least 20mins. Result, perfect, tender beef and gravy to die for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that
    I found a recipe on Sainsbury website which states 20 min per 450g. I'll use your advuce as a guide. Do you season beef before searing as some suggest that meat won't retain juices if it's seasoned?
  • Options
    tallguy9tallguy9 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sear it unseasoned, afterwards rub the fattiest side with a mix of flour, mustard powder and black pepper and then put it (fatty side on top) in the roasting tin and you'll have amazing gravy. Add salt to taste after straining the gravy.
    Don't put salt on lean beef as it will cause the juices to run making a dry joint
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tallguy9 wrote: »
    Sear it unseasoned, afterwards rub the fattiest side with a mix of flour, mustard powder and black pepper and then put it (fatty side on top) in the roasting tin and you'll have amazing gravy. Add salt to taste after straining the gravy.
    Don't put salt on lean beef as it will cause the juices to run making a dry joint

I only have ready made mustard, the sainsburys recipe advises mixing tbsp of olive oil plus tbsp english mustard then rubbing into joint, think I'll put sone on after searing. Thanks for the advice :)
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    That method is OK, but I prefer a cooler oven and have a meat thermometer stuck in the middle as it gives a more even roast. If you like it rare, take it out at 45 deg, medium at 50 and well done (i.e. Overcooked without a hint of pink) at 55 deg. While it rests, you can turn the oven up to max for the Yorkies and roasties while you boil the rest of the veg and give the joint a final blast for a few minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That method is OK, but I prefer a cooler oven and have a meat thermometer stuck in the middle as it gives a more even roast. If you like it rare, take it out at 45 deg, medium at 50 and well done (i.e. Overcooked without a hint of pink) at 55 deg. While it rests, you can turn the oven up to max for the Yorkies and roasties while you boil the rest of the veg and give the joint a final blast for a few minutes.

Sorry didn't see this earlier, I haven't got a meat thermometer but it might be worth investing in one. Due to take my joint out in 20 mins, hoping for a medium joint.