Options

Sunday Night at the London Palladium.

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    STV's announcer talked over the credits at the end as Earth, Wind and Fire were still playing

They did the same here.
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this might not make any sense (although i do know what i mean in my own brain ;-)) but i'm sure variety shows can have a place on modern telly ... but for some reason they just don't seem to get it right. i'm wondering if it's due to a younger generation of tv producers etc that just don't know how to create a good variety show? and no i'm not harking back for the shows of the 70's/80's but why does modern variety have to consist mainly of singing and comedy? are they scared that the general public would switch over if they didn't get their fix of some forgettable pop group or comedian?

surely across the globe there are 1000's of good/exciting variety acts, yes including singers and comedians, but a whole lot more as well? there again, maybe the original series of this was mainly singing and comedy as well? maybe i'm seeking a type of variety show that has never existed??
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this might not make any sense (although i do know what i mean in my own brain ;-)) but i'm sure variety shows can have a place on modern telly ... but for some reason they just don't seem to get it right. i'm wondering if it's due to a younger generation of tv producers etc that just don't know how to create a good variety show? and no i'm not harking back for the shows of the 70's/80's but why does modern variety have to consist mainly of singing and comedy? are they scared that the general public would switch over if they didn't get their fix of some forgettable pop group or comedian?

surely across the globe there are 1000's of good/exciting variety acts, yes including singers and comedians, but a whole lot more as well? there again, maybe the original series of this was mainly singing and comedy as well? maybe i'm seeking a type of variety show that has never existed??

I don't know about other countries, but here all you have to find people these days is BGT or the awful Crap Factor!!!
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member

Totally agree with you.
    In the early Variety shows there was always the obligatory juggler & acrobat, these acts are still there and much more sophisticated than they were, so why not include them? Did we need two female singers in tonight's show (excellent though they were) Never heard of that comedian, and didn't go a bundle on the ventrilloquist.
    Confess that I never knew that Jason Mandford could sing, I thought he was very good too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I actually don't mind this as a Sunday evening show. They could do with having a better quiz/competition in the middle, but it's okay viewing and better than watching repeats of You've been framed.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have brought Marti Pellow on to sing with her. He plays Che.

I've seen Evita touring with Madelana Alberto and Marti Pellow. He is awful and she is amazing so it just shows how television doesn't do everyone favours.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    Totally agree with you.
    In the early Variety shows there was always the obligatory juggler & acrobat, these acts are still there and much more sophisticated than they were, so why not include them? Did we need two female singers in tonight's show (excellent though they were) Never heard of that comedian, and didn't go a bundle on the ventrilloquist.
    Confess that I never knew that Jason Mandford could sing, I thought he was very good too.

The BBC and ITV are tied up with various agents who (understandably) promote their own clients and it's very difficult for any act outside that cartel to get air time, a disgrace in itself particularly with the BBC who are supposed to be immune to commercial pressures. There are plenty of variety shows on TV around the world, Spanish TV have some wonderfully non-PC shows with dancing girls, TV Globo in Brazil some explicitly-sexual stuff which would never get shown here, all available on You Tube.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Why does it always cut off at 7.52, ewf could have done another song,no variety on tonight,was looking forward to the vent act but she was awful. Rather hear something new from tim rice instead of the same songs all the time, that wifey singing soundedlike celine dion destroying dont cry for me. . jack whitehall next week, omg! Cant bear him
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wikipedia says this show was only originally broadcast on and off between 1955-1974 and in 2000, but I swear they did more series of this - I remember it being on during the 90s as well. Or was it just called something slightly different?
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a 'variety' show, there wasn't much variety in in it. We had Earth Wind & Fire, Collabro featuring Jason Manford, Ella Henderson, Evita, Earth Wind & Fire reprise....so about 80% singing. We had a bit of magic but that was more luck that there was a magician in the audience and some ventriloquism but it was like watching X Factor but with fewer adverts!
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zorah88 wrote: »
    That series was just bad

Yes, that series of X Factor (2012) was the worst ever and James Arthur must have been about the worst one on it. I remember saying that if he won, that I would never watch it again. However, I gave it a go again last year and it had improved a lot, so I decided to carry on watching it.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Good question. I'm not sure, but I think advertising would have been in its infancy then, not the multi million pound business it is now.

They did have adverts in the original London Palladium show. It was on ITV and advertising began on the opening night of ITV in September 1955.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    The trouble is that whist there are SOME, there is no longer the amount of variety acts like there used to be as there is sadly no longer the venues for them. When was the last time you saw anything that wasn't a singer at any pub/club/bar up and down the country? And if it was something else was it a comedian?

And of those variety acts left, they make and have made their living by constantly touring, usually with the same act that they have done for years. If it is that special a talent then it has taken years and years of work perfecting it and can't just change from week to week. That is why they travel around never playing the same place again for years. That way it works and they can do the same act for decades and it the audience that changes, not the act. Now ask them to go on TV and give away that very act that has taken years to perfect and blow it all in 6 minutes of TV. Do that and no one will turn up for their show again and that is their livelihood gone. For TV you need an every changing load of new material and that doesn't suit any type of act that has taken years to perfect. Who it does suit is very unsurprisingly acts like singers and comedians who can churn out new stuff week after week.

Acts are like everything else in this disposable generation: You have to have something new or else you will be used and disposed off next day.
  • Options
    Ian K McIan K Mc Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I thought that this show was better than last week and Jason was a better host - more in keeping with the original hosts. The Paul Daniels Magic show had some excellent speciality acts throughout its many series. Many of them came from all over the world. It would be good if the second series of the Palladium featured some of them.
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the original show and I find the whole thing a bit dated even with modern day acts. Next they'll be bringing back Seaside Special! What is it with reviving all these old programmes like Celebrity Squares etc
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    patricia50 wrote: »
    I remember the original show and I find the whole thing a bit dated even with modern day acts. Next they'll be bringing back Seaside Special! What is it with reviving all these old programmes like Celebrity Squares etc

I agree. I've not seen this latest production - but I imagine it is a re-production of latest comedy stars and X-Factor people! I remember the old days of it being a PROPER variety show and a game-show in the middle! (Bruce Forsythe etc). That was fun - but only two channels to choose from!
    I must tune in next week and stop watching Murdoch Mysteries on Drama!! Ooops that was on at 8pm - I meant Agatha Christies Hour !!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Wikipedia says this show was only originally broadcast on and off between 1955-1974 and in 2000, but I swear they did more series of this - I remember it being on during the 90s as well. Or was it just called something slightly different?

When ITV said they were resurrecting this after 40 years I thought I was going mad as I distinctly remember watching this show in my lifetime (I'm 35) when Jimmy Tarbuck presented it in the 80s. After looking it up apparently the shows I was thinking of were Live From Her Majesty's (1983-5), Live From The Piccadilly (1986) & Live From The Palladium (1987-88). All of these shows were on a Sunday.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The trouble is that whist there are SOME, there is no longer the amount of variety acts like there used to be as there is sadly no longer the venues for them. When was the last time you saw anything that wasn't a singer at any pub/club/bar up and down the country? And if it was something else was it a comedian?

And of those variety acts left, they make and have made their living by constantly touring, usually with the same act that they have done for years. If it is that special a talent then it has taken years and years of work perfecting it and can't just change from week to week. That is why they travel around never playing the same place again for years. That way it works and they can do the same act for decades and it the audience that changes, not the act. Now ask them to go on TV and give away that very act that has taken years to perfect and blow it all in 6 minutes of TV. Do that and no one will turn up for their show again and that is their livelihood gone. For TV you need an every changing load of new material and that doesn't suit any type of act that has taken years to perfect. Who it does suit is very unsurprisingly acts like singers and comedians who can churn out new stuff week after week.

Acts are like everything else in this disposable generation: You have to have something new or else you will be used and disposed off next day.
    Ian K Mc wrote: »
    I thought that this show was better than last week and Jason was a better host - more in keeping with the original hosts. The Paul Daniels Magic show had some excellent speciality acts throughout its many series. Many of them came from all over the world. It would be good if the second series of the Palladium featured some of them.
    Maybe it's why they need to ship in variety acts from abroad if UK acts don't want to ruin their tours.

They do need some variety. There was way too much music in last night's show.

Also, both of the standup acts so far have not done new material. They've done those routines before on telly.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV did various shows from various London theatres. Live from Her Majesty's is only remembered because Tommy Cooper died on air on April 14, 1984. Lew Grade said the biggest mistake he ever made was to axe Sunday Night at the London Palladium.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Worst thing is the audience, they have paid for their seats so just sit in them instead of standing up cheering and clapping during a performance, I hate that. Remember when the palladium only catered for rich invited guests who just sat there and politely clapped at the end ! Just rattled their jewelry at the end !!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad we have a variety show back on our screens. Its perfect sunday evening fodder, but the 'variety' has been sadly lacking. I do hope the show doesn't get scraped though as that would be a shame. The ventriloquist woman was dire. I have seen her before and all she does is laugh as her own jokes, which is very annoying.

The best thing I have seen which made me laugh was last weeks two men with towels. I think I have seen them before on Paul O'Grady (I think) but it made me giggle.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was at least one episode in 1998 - I remember watching this
    http://explore.bfi.org.uk/4ce2b811623db

So Wikipedia is wrong (shock horror)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does Lionel Ritchie have dinner reservations or something? He seems to be speeding through this song to get it finished as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Yes, that was Rodney Trotter sat with the Whitehalls.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The least annoying thing about Jack Whitehall is he is wearing brown shoes with a dark suit.
    I will be turning over soon.