BT Sport over YouView without Infinity??

My parents have just signed up to getting BT Sport and BT TV - however the sales rep insisted that they could get all this through YouView even though they aren't in a Infinity enabled area and just get to basic broadband package with speeds up to 7mbs. My Dad questioned this again and again saying he didn't think his broadband speeds would be quick enough to get Sport over broadband (I've taught him well!), but the sales rep insisted!

I'd love them to get YouView as it's a better box but just didn't think it was possible. Has there been a change that I've missed - or has the BT rep just screwed up the order??

Comments

• MikembeMikembe Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Hup_73 wrote: »
    or has the BT rep just screwed up the order??

At the risk of being negative about BT Customer Services :p:D:confused:

Each time one talks to them you get a different story.

I have SKY and have given them my viewing card number so am waiting till it starts in August and will see if that works. :confused:

I will then try again and see if it appears on my BT YOUVIEW box. Which it hasn't yet. My TV shows the channels on the Freeview platform, my Freeview recorder also shows them as being encrypted. but the YOUVIEW Box doesn't show them at all. Weird!! :confused::confused:

Mikembe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Mikembe wrote: »
    At the risk of being negative about BT Customer Services :p:D:confused:

Each time one talks to them you get a different story.

I have SKY and have given them my viewing card number so am waiting till it starts in August and will see if that works. :confused:

I will then try again and see if it appears on my BT YOUVIEW box. Which it hasn't yet. My TV shows the channels on the Freeview platform, my Freeview recorder also shows them as being encrypted. but the YOUVIEW Box doesn't show them at all. Weird!! :confused::confused:

Mikembe

My understanding is that you will be able to get BT Sport without having Infinity. It will be delivered over the normal broadband provided that you have a high enough download speed. The quality will not be High Definition but standard definition because of the bandwidth needed to provide H.

Infinidim :cool:
  • iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents have just signed up to getting BT Sport and BT TV - however the sales rep insisted that they could get all this through YouView even though they aren't in a Infinity enabled area and just get to basic broadband package with speeds up to 7mbs. My Dad questioned this again and again saying he didn't think his broadband speeds would be quick enough to get Sport over broadband (I've taught him well!), but the sales rep insisted!

I'd love them to get YouView as it's a better box but just didn't think it was possible. Has there been a change that I've missed - or has the BT rep just screwed up the order??

Simple answer is they were talking rubbish!

From the BT website...

'Great news! If you're not yet eligible for BT Infinity, you can still experience BT Sport on your TV. Just fill in your details on this page and you'll be the first to hear about when you can get BT Sport.

As long as you have BT Broadband and a BT TV package, you'll be able to watch BT Sport on your TV via your TV aerial (£10 viewing card and BT Vision+ box required).

BT Sports is available over standard ADSL broadband but you need a BT Vision+ set top box.'

A BT Vision+ box is different to a Youview box.

Oh, and 7Mbps is perfectly adequate for viewing Live SD tv over broadband. Not sure how fast is needed for Live HD tv but BBC iPlayer HD streams can be played with connections slower than 4Mbps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Hey Infinidim - they only get 7mbs, do you think that would be enough to stream BT sports through Youview. They're not worries about HD, so SD would be fine?
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiyama17 wrote: »
    BT Sports is available over standard ADSL broadband but you need a BT Vision+ set top box.'

And the reason for that being... the YV box has no card slot. It's only available via DTT through the old system - i.e. BT Vision black box.

The confusion was probably over the availability of the online player and app with all broadband packages. Meaning your parents could view BT Sport with a YouView box - but not actually on the YouView box ;)
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    Hey Infinidim - they only get 7mbs, do you think that would be enough to stream BT sports through Youview. They're not worries about HD, so SD would be fine?

It depends if they are at an exchange that supports copper multicast! And not many do.
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    And the reason for that being... the YV box has no card slot. It's only available via DTT through the old system - i.e. BT Vision black box.

The confusion was probably over the availability of the online player and app with all broadband packages. Meaning your parents could view BT Sport with a YouView box - but not actually on the YouView box ;)

To be fair to my Dad, he did make it clear that he wanted to watch BT Sport through his TV. As I suspected, it sounds like the BT sales rep has got confused - I think I might give them a call tomorrow to clarify what's going on.

Cheers all :)
    Forum Member
    I think I might give them a call tomorrow to clarify what's going on.
    :)

Good Luck!! :D

Might be worth ringing a few times then you can consolidate their answers and...........:confused:

Mikembe
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    It depends if they are at an exchange that supports copper multicast! And not many do.

The exchange has to support the copper via an MSAN to support BT Sport { BT Wholesale TV Connect (TVC)} or any of the other future channels that BT Retail might want to deliver this way. ;)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I have just had BT Sport 1,2 and HD versions plus ESPN switched on today via Youview and my PC is reporting the amount of bandwidth being used.

My standard definition channels are taking 4mb/s and the HD channels are taking 10mb/s on a 70mb/s Infinity 2 connection.
    Forum Member
    I have just had BT Sport 1,2 and HD versions plus ESPN switched on today via Youview and my PC is reporting the amount of bandwidth being used.

My standard definition channels are taking 4mb/s and the HD channels are taking 10mb/s on a 70mb/s Infinity 2 connection.

That's about right. SD Premium is 3.0 Mbps and HD Premium is 10.0 Mbps. Sound on SD is 128 Kbps and on HD is 192 Kbps. There are also a couple of control channels as well according to the design.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    BT has no clue what it is doing, the left hand doesn't even know there is a right hand. I went through all sorts trying to get it set up, I was constantly told one thing then another, and on three occasions after placing an order, then not receiving anything, I contacted BT to be told there was no order in place. On three separate occasions!

And now they've totally screwed up my BT Sport on TV.

I'm hoping to get out of the 18 month contract because they've been so consistently dreadful.

Complaint letter and timeline of events here, if anybody's interested :D
  • EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skilgannon wrote: »
    BT has no clue what it is doing, the left hand doesn't even know there is a right hand. I went through all sorts trying to get it set up, I was constantly told one thing then another, and on three occasions after placing an order, then not receiving anything, I contacted BT to be told there was no order in place. On three separate occasions!

And now they've totally screwed up my BT Sport on TV.

I'm hoping to get out of the 18 month contract because they've been so consistently dreadful.

Complaint letter and timeline of events here, if anybody's interested :D[/QUOTE

Well done on the detail and I hope all works out for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    infinidim wrote: »
    The exchange has to support the copper via an MSAN to support BT Sport { BT Wholesale TV Connect (TVC)} or any of the other future channels that BT Retail might want to deliver this way. ;)

It's not as simple as that!

92% of exchanges are now 21CN WBC.
    Forum Member
    Just thought I'd give everyone an update on my OP, just in case they're interested.

Called BT, they admitted that I'd be sold the wrong box and changed the order to a BT Vision+ box. Unfortunately when delivery date arrived no package came. Called BT and apparently someone had cancelled the YouView box but didn't order the BT Vision box - yet their systems say something has been delievered and the order has been completed.

They're now scratching their heads trying to work out what's going on.

Unfortunately this is all been conducted in an environment where waiting times for an advisor are 30mins plus, and I'm getting transferred around from person to person (30mins waiting each time!). Even been hung up on a few times so have had to start the process over again.

The system wouldn't even let me queue last night (due to 'unprecedented demand for BT Sport) and just cut me off.

BT customer services have gone into melt down! And I'm still no nearer getting the issue resolved!
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    It's not as simple as that!

92% of exchanges are now 21CN WBC.

MIkeB - I agree, 92% are now on 21 CN WBC. Some are using MSAN's to deliver the DSL offerings and others are using fibre and some even use the old DSLAM's to deliver service - but these are getting less and less.

Forum Member
    Just thought I'd give everyone an update on my OP, just in case they're interested.

Called BT, they admitted that I'd be sold the wrong box and changed the order to a BT Vision+ box. Unfortunately when delivery date arrived no package came. Called BT and apparently someone had cancelled the YouView box but didn't order the BT Vision box - yet their systems say something has been delievered and the order has been completed.

They're now scratching their heads trying to work out what's going on.

Unfortunately this is all been conducted in an environment where waiting times for an advisor are 30mins plus, and I'm getting transferred around from person to person (30mins waiting each time!). Even been hung up on a few times so have had to start the process over again.

The system wouldn't even let me queue last night (due to 'unprecedented demand for BT Sport) and just cut me off.

BT customer services have gone into melt down! And I'm still no nearer getting the issue resolved!

Your situation sounds eerily like mine.

They are useless, I think I might record myself listing all their cockups and put it on YouTube :D
    Forum Member
    I hadn't heard from BT in well over a week, so I had the bright idea of sending a Tweet last night - it read "Why doesn't @BTCare change its name to @BTDontCare?"

Today I got a call! But it wasn't triggered by my complaint, but by my Tweet last night. They offered to get a viewing card sent out to me in 2 days. I told them about my complaint, and eventually he unearthed my complaint letter. He looked at my demands, said they seemed fair enough, and said he could cancel my contract! :-o

So I've ordered 60Mb fibre from Virgin, and when that goes live, all I have to do is Tweet @BTCare and tell them, and they will cancel everything.

I'll believe all that when I see it, of course, having been bitten so many times before. But this lad I spoke to today was friendly, polite, and efficient. What a shame to encounter somebody like that, just as I was canceling the contract!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    infinidim wrote: »
    MIkeB - I agree, 92% are now on 21 CN WBC. Some are using MSAN's to deliver the DSL offerings and others are using fibre and some even use the old DSLAM's to deliver service - but these are getting less and less.

They are all using MSANs to deliver the service. I don't know where you are getting your information from.

A lot of those exchanges would also have FTTC also.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If BT customer service is so busy - surly this must be a good indicator how popular BT sport is?
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    If BT customer service is so busy - surly this must be a good indicator how popular BT sport is?

:confused: They are very busy.....I heard 75% of calls are COMPLAINTS!!!! :D

Me included!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Mikembe
    Forum Member
    Mikembe wrote: »
    :confused: They are very busy.....I heard 75% of calls are COMPLAINTS!!!! :D

Me included!!!!! :mad: :mad:

Mikembe

Really!? Where did you hear that from?