Options

Lentils

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I always thought you had to soak lentils overnight in cold water before you could cook them, but a recipe that uses green lentils I have just says to simmer them 20 minutes.
Is that right ?

Comments

• Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that's right.

Different types less less or more cooking but you can keep testing till the texture is right for you.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Don't add salt to any lentils/ beans etc until they're cooked - the outer/skin hardens. Use salt etc after they're cooked.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    must say I like the concept of lentils much more than the actuality

I do make lentil soup and in the past have made lentil curry but it's such a hassle trying to wash the starch out then constantly having to skim the pan to get rid of the froth........

For anything that I would have used lentils for I now tend to use soaked dried peas instead.........much less bother !
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

I do make lentil soup and in the past have made lentil curry but it's such a hassle trying to wash the starch out then constantly having to skim the pan to get rid of the froth........

For anything that I would have used lentils for I now tend to use soaked dried peas instead.........much less bother !

I never bother doing any of that and the lentils turn out great.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

Man, I just hate those peas so much....:o
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I never bother doing any of that and the lentils turn out great.

yeah, must say I have developed extreme fussiness with lentils

I'll wash them 10 or 15 times before putting them in the pan.......then I'll keep skimming the cooking water and refilling the pan loads of times

that's really why I've given up on them.......it was becoming an obsession to get rid of every lit bit of froth or scum.......:o

perhaps I should just adopt the laissez-faire attitude and give them another go.......:blush:
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too just rinse lentils once and never bother skimming them. I've also never heard of pre-soaking either - admittedly green lentils take about 20-30 mins to cook, but red cook much faster than that.
    I've also sprouted green lentils - nice in a salad:)
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite lentil dishes - a cheap but tasty winter warmer

Boil a smoked ham hock. (can be done the day before)
    Sauté diced onion, carrot and celery in a little butter and oil, and add rinsed green lentils.
    Add some of the ham stock, and cook till absorbed and the lentils are tender.
    Stir in the flaked ham off the bone.

Red lentils. Isn't it disappointing that they go that sludgey colour instead of staying cheerful orangey red?
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Boil a smoked ham hock. (can be done the day before)
    Sauté diced onion, carrot and celery in a little butter and oil, and add rinsed green lentils.
    Add some of the ham stock, and cook till absorbed and the lentils are tender.
    Stir in the flaked ham off the bone.

Red lentils. Isn't it disappointing that they go that sludgey colour instead of staying cheerful orangey red?
    Yes, I chuck in a bit of tomato puree.

I make a lentil ragu with mushrooms and cheese mixed in which we like a lot and a nice dahl:
    Fry some onions and mushrooms in curry powder or garam masala or your fav curry paste.

Two cups of water to one cup of lentils. Add onions and mushrooms to lentils when they are getting softer. When the juice in the lentils has reduced a little, add half tin of chopped tomatoes (not ones with basil added) or a couple of chopped skinned tomatoes. Keep tasting. You'll know when it's ready. Blitz some spinach (boil or microwave) and add near the end of the cooking process and some fresh coriander. You can liquidise some of it, if you want it to be smoother. You can add more liquid if you want it to be a soup.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm.. will have to try that as it's feeling like winter now :p

I wonder if they can be cheated into staying red with spices like paprika or turmeric? I mostly use lentils in soups and stews, but also like making something like this-

http://www.katieskitchenjournal.com/2014/10/roast-chicken-with-lentils-and-brandy.html

although not with as many beans or brandy. Basically using the lentils in the roasting dish to soak up the stock, spices and chicken juices. Favorite is probably using chopped lemon grass & chili for spicing the chicken and onion chunks in the dish. I cover the dish with foil, slow cook for 45mins or so, then 20-30 with the foil off and a high heat to brown the bird. Add more stock if the lentils look like they're drying out. They should end up nice and soft & serve as a kinda thick sauce with the chicken.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family have a red lentil dahl that they make, but I never learnt how to myself. After reading this thread, I might have a go..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chickpeas need soaking (just about to put some in soak for tomorrow), but lentils don't, which is very handy!

I find that the green lentils don't take very much boiling at all, and can be over cooked quite easily if not careful.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy an electric pressure cooker and it takes about 8 mins to make dhal or lentil soup.
    Pink lentil usually go a golden colour.