Options

Come Fly With Me - BBC1 10pm

Comments

• Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm beginning to think some viewers have turned ultra-sensitive to the point that they will take each line said or joke/scene performed in a programme, take it at its very worst meaning ignoring any other possible meaning and then assume the type of people the line/joke/scene focused on will be offended because most of the time the people who 'should be' offended - isn't.
    As a black woman, the skit involving the lady with the coffee stall didn't bother me at all, the make-up was done well and at times the accent was good then it changed to a slightly Irish one before going back to how it was, but it just wasn't that funny. The throwing way of the coffee in the bin shouldn't have been so obvious.

The scene with the Japanese girls has been done before by Ant and Dec to a Corrie St character - any complaints there? I doubt it. And japanese girls waiting in their school uniform for celebs at airports and getting well excited when they meet or see that person has been on the news many times! They've just acted out an observation.
  • Options
    nshacklenshackle Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think some viewers have turned ultra-sensitive to the point that they will take each line said or joke/scene performed in a programme, take it at its very worst meaning ignoring any other possible meaning and then assume the type of people the line/joke/scene focused on will be offended because most of the time the people who 'should be' offended - isn't.
    As a black woman, the skit involving the lady with the coffee stall didn't bother me at all, the make-up was done well and at times the accent was good then it changed to a slightly Irish one before going back to how it was, but it just wasn't that funny. The throwing way of the coffee in the bin shouldn't have been so obvious.

Well said. I thought the 'Precious' character was hilarious, and reminded me of somebody I have worked with in the past.

I almost feel that some people 'enjoy' being 'offended' particularly on behalf of other groups, and sit waiting for any opportunity to take offence and express their outrage.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Utter rubbish. They've dumbed down the offensive material to a level where it's now not even remotely funny.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were a few funny moments, I'll give them credit for that, but mostly this was poor stuff.

The show they're spoofing was actually funnier than this.

Indeed. This Airline ep on recently made me PMSL. I call this " Squeaky mouse woman misses flight" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHax-EEljXE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    I've never watched Little Britain but i'm just watching this on iplayer and thoroughly enjoying it so far!!:p

Jeez, you should listen to the radio series of Little Britain and you'll crack your spine laughing, if you thought last night's dirge was funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it! I think I must watch too many airport/UK Border Force programmes, but it all seemed pretty much spot on.

So do I, which is why I agree with DavetheScot that those programmes were far funnier than this.
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Lucas is openly gay himself.

Jews still put other Jews to death in WW2.
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »

The scene with the Japanese girls has been done before by Ant and Dec to a Corrie St character - any complaints there? I doubt it. And japanese girls waiting in their school uniform for celebs at airports and getting well excited when they meet or see that person has been on the news many times! They've just acted out an observation.

OK, so why not employ two Japanese actresses to play the part? Then it would have been ironic. But to have two 'talented' ho ho 'comedians' in Walliams and Lucas dressing up and giving the audience a schoolboy impression of Japanese girls was just lazy, ill advised and very poor "comedy".
  • Options
    Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Surely if you're doing an airline parody then anything at an airport will inevitably involve foreign people? And as long as the "foreign stereotypes" are done with a degree of sympathy (as was the case with Precious) it becomes harder to call 'racism' when other, obviously white British characters (cabin staff, immigration officer, etc.) were equally fair game for parody. Ignoring foreign people in an airport parody would be even worse from a racism viewpoint.

I'm not claiming that it was totally devoid of racism but to claim that something's blatantly racist just because you personally didn't find it funny is perhaps a touch hypocritical under the circumstances.

I found it pretty decent myself, everything considered, and found it funnier than Little Britain (which I hardly ever saw anyway).
  • Options
    ClassicsGuyClassicsGuy Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was hilarious and a massive improvement on Little Britain.

10.3m watched it last night - impressive viewing figures.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, it's scary how many people there are who are so easy to wind up :eek:
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I usually hate everything they do .... far too crass and not very funny, but I really enjoyed this and thought it was very funny. So much so that I've Sky+ it to record the whole series.

Loved it!!! :)
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »

Where do you start with a comment like this?

Anyone want to try?
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I switched it off halfway through. I just didn't find it funny at all. I much prefer Walliams & Lucas in Little Britain, though even the 3rd series of that, I thought was going downhill.

Maybe I'm immune to their comedy now :(
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lasted 8 minutes. Utter rubbish did not even snigger or smile once.
    They are forcing the characters on us by having them have little speaches and having the masterchef narrator
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member

What's that got to do with it :confused::confused:
  • Options
    FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how the BBC will fund and show any old tripe as long as the writers have had a single previous success.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonjons wrote: »
    They are forcing the characters on us by having them have little speaches and having the masterchef narrator

Eh? In what way is it being forced on you with "speaches"?:confused:
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »

It wasn't, the narrator is Lindsay Duncan.

I thought it was funny, if people are becoming so super sensitive we might as well ban comedy altogether.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Trying to score points in a discussion by referencing the holocaust is WAY more tasteless than anything in "Come fly with me".
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to score points in a discussion by referencing the holocaust is WAY more tasteless than anything in "Come fly with me".

Indeed. I don't really see the connection between war atrocities and an openly Gay man playing a Gay character,

This place just gets worse doesn't it?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, so why not employ two Japanese actresses to play the part? Then it would have been ironic. But to have two 'talented' ho ho 'comedians' in Walliams and Lucas dressing up and giving the audience a schoolboy impression of Japanese girls was just lazy, ill advised and very poor "comedy".

I've read most of your posts in this thread. May I suggest you avoid comedy in the future as you're simply clueless.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was hilarious and a massive improvement on Little Britain.

10.3m watched it last night - impressive viewing figures.

I agree, I laughed quite a lot throughout, as with Little Britain though, the majority of my laughs were at Matt Lucas as opposed to David Walliams who since season 2 of Little Britain seems to play every character like Emily Howard.

Miles better than Little Britain Season 3, Little Britain USA and Little Britain Abroad.

Seems like a lot of people, knowing they were never in a million years going to like this because they hate Little Britain, have watched it with the sole intention of being offended or to moan.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Regardless of any racial stereotyping, the show was deeply offensive to anyone who appreciates good comedy.
  • Options
    Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racist???

What are people just not getting in their (typical) rush to scream racist?

THE TWO STARS OF THE SHOW (and the only two stars of the show) ARE WHITE!

They can't get in just another black actor to do the black characters as that's not how the show works. It's all these two stars. If they didn't do any black characters the usual posters would be screaming that they are not representing a cross-section of society. They can't win!

The Black and white minstrels where different in that they could have got actual black singers and dancers to replace the white people. (Even if the whole racist chip played on that show is also gross stupidity as well.

Talk about wanting to scream racism at every opportunity.

And Homophobic? You do know that Matt is gay?

So according to the so called intellectuals on this forum, they must never play anyone who isn't them or they are something or the other?

I've heard some nonsense before, but this does take the biscuit.

Please find somewhere else to run your agenda campaigns.