Early Morning / Late Shift Presenters Sleeping Patterns

occyoccy Posts: 65,039
Forum Member
✭✭
Do presenters who do Over nights, Early Breakfast and Breakfast shows sleep during the day? Have any of you experienced this?

Comments

• david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast show host will probably bed between 7pm and 3am or between 8pm and 4am, and the late show host will probably bed between 4am and noon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Talking from experience on a show 1-6am it was like this...

Sleep 8-11pm, do the show, sleep 6:30am-2pm
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    When I did a late show from 10 till 1 I would sleep from 3 to 9am then sometimes have a short sleep before going in to work for 9.

On bteakfast I was usually in bed by 9pm and up at 4.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No different from bakers, miners, nurses, taxi drivers etc etc. It's called Night Shift!
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    No different from bakers, miners, nurses, taxi drivers etc etc. It's called Night Shift!

As jobs go it's not bad really if you compare to nurse or taxi drivers. One is run off their feet all shift and the other has to put up with pissed people throwing up and taking messy food into the car. A radio presenter sits in a warm studio and pisses about on the internet for 3 hours. They might even get to watch some tv.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first started and I did overnights followed by the travel on breakfast I would treat my day as if I would do if I was working 9-5. In other words, when I got home I ate, watched tv etc etc and then went to bed so I was waking up about an hour before I started work.

When I was doing breakfast for years and years, I would go to bed about 8 but either go on laptop or read, never watch TV, until about 10 then go to sleep. I got up at 445 as I was only 10 mins from work.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different people do different things especially for early breakfast, Steve Allen says on his show he goes to bed around 6 and wakes up around 2am.

I know others who stay awake all night do early breakfast then go home and get to bed for around 8am and treat it as a nightshift.

Personally i always think early breakfast is a harder shift than nights, the night jock will usually get to bed for 6am. When i did that i slept till around 12 - 1 ish and i then had a afternoon and most of the evening to do as i wished before getting into work for around 11 - 12 ready for a 1am start.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this isn't a forum for bakers, miners, nurses, taxi drivers etc etc, its a forum for radio and all its minutiae.
    Do you see?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    A mate of mine presents a show from midnight through 'til two in the morning. By the time he gets back home its around four in the morning as he has to travel to the studio and back. He gets six hours kip before getting up at ten am.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioNerd wrote: »
    Talking from experience on a show 1-6am it was like this...

Sleep 8-11pm, do the show, sleep 6:30am-2pm

Wow that's quite a lot of sleep, almost 10 hours per day! When I worked a nightshift (not in radio) I'd do 8pm-6.30am and sleep 7am-2pm.
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True, I was listening to Grimey and Dev do the handover one morning 'moaning' about the hours on iPlayer. I started work at 6am for a 12 hour shift. Somehow somebody sitting in a studio pressing play and saying 'that was, this is...' Reading Twitter or Facebook comments with lots of adverts in between isn't such a hard job.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    True, I was listening to Grimey and Dev do the handover one morning 'moaning' about the hours on iPlayer. I started work at 6am for a 12 hour shift. Somehow somebody sitting in a studio pressing play and saying 'that was, this is...' Reading Twitter or Facebook comments with lots of adverts in between isn't such a hard job.

To be fair I wouldn't say Nick Grimshaw's show is "that was, this is", Radio 1 breakfast is at least 50% speech, and they don't play adverts.
  • gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never found the hours of the shifts I've worked difficult per se - the hard bit for me is fitting a late or early shift around partner, kids, temptation of a social life, pressure to watch certain telly programmes so you can talk about them with your co - host in the morning.

That's the hard bit!

Some people I know get around 5-6 hours a night, and swear by an afternoon cat nap of a couple of hours. That never works for me, I have to go through. A daytime sleep seems to make me disorientated, grumpy, or both!
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4.1 million people in the uk work shifts (including night shifts)
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »

The both of them are forever MOANING about the early mornings they do. Sick of it...so ungrateful for their jobs.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are very few live overnight presenters remaining though. Thank God for automation!

I'd say early breakfast is the worst slot and I would be tempted to split my sleep between evenings and mornings if I was doing that slot. Might not be so easy with a partner, kids, people making noise outside during the day, etc
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    Although he calls it "The Best Time Of The Day Show" I think Alex Lester has a tough shift, I mean he starts when most of us are at our deepest sleep and he finishes as many are think "got a couple of hours yet".

I wonder if he sleeps before the show or when he gets home ? My guesses are that if he's home by about 7-8am then he must just hit the sack until the late afternoon.

Must bugger up your body clock.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Although he calls it "The Best Time Of The Day Show" I think Alex Lester has a tough shift, I mean he starts when most of us are at our deepest sleep and he finishes as many are think "got a couple of hours yet".

I wonder if he sleeps before the show or when he gets home ? My guesses are that if he's home by about 7-8am then he must just hit the sack until the late afternoon.

Must bugger up your body clock.

He probably sleeps like we do.at night, but a different time.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »

between records you mean?
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »

occy, that's a daft reply. How can he sleep like we do at night when he's live on Radio 2 from 2am-5am ?

Or do you mean he sleeps during the day?
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    4.1 million people in the uk work shifts (including night shifts)

My point exactly!
  • Costa StarbucksCosta Starbucks Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I had a conversation recently with Alex Lester about his sleep pattern.
    He told me he goes to bed at 9pm and awakes at 1am. Then after the show goes back to bed from 6am until 10am
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He told me he goes to bed at 9pm and awakes at 1am. Then after the show goes back to bed from 6am until 10am

Amazing.so at as I write this at 12.50. he;s still asleep.and then proceeds to do a live national radio show at 2am? Might explain why when Janice Long was ill on air the other month,he didn't appear until 1.35.standing in.
    All other jocks working for other stations (at any time of the day) are obviously putting far to much prep in,for a mere splinter of the money he must be getting.>:(
    Either he lives in a shoe inside Broadcasting House or he lives literally round the corner and is uber confident with nothing ever going wrong with his travelling arrangements,..ooh..it's NOW 1 am..the alarm must be going off.Unbelieveable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He must live minutes from the studios if he gets up at 1am and goes to bed at 6am?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he preps the show during the day and his producer would prep the music for Alex too.