Recommend me a film about the build up to the second world war in Germany.

boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
Forum Member
English spoken preferably but fine if not. Thanks.

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sound of music ho ho? And cabaret. Nazis inspire good musicals for some reason. Might be the uniforms ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    triumph of the will is on youtube. With subs if u need them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    europe europa. The tin drum. La grande illusion. None is english but subs on the dvd of course.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first half of Hope and Glory, I think?

I vaguely remember the father listening to Chamberlain's announcement on radio that there would be war. And the comments about the Phoney War.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more a two-part TV thing really but Hitler: The Rise of Evil summarises the whole thing fairly decently. Robert Carlyle hams it right up as Adolf but you get most of the events between WWI and his rise to power.

Also, as already recommended, Triumph of the Will is an important watch just to see the power of Nazi propaganda at the time.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Good stuff cheers.
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The book thief is very good and set in Germany itself, very good film.
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Damned (Visconti)
    Mephisto
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heimat perhaps?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also bertolluci's 1900 ("novocento"), which partly deals with the rise of Italian fascism. Several different copies on youtube, some with English subs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also Blaue Licht. one of reifenstals's "mountain films" promoting Volk Mysticism. in german with greek subtitles, but you don't need to follow the dialogue ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBB4A6lpbbs
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    triumph of the will is on youtube. With subs if u need them.

If you want to understand the build up rather than be entertained Triumph of the will by Leni Riefenstahl is by far the best. It's the real thing, not a drama and is still banned in Germany. You may find the party speeches at the end boring, it was made as a propaganda film for the Nazis and shown in every german cinema at the time. The production techniques were outstanding for it's day. It will make your flesh creep. You can buy it as well from Amazon. Heimat is good but very long indeed and is acted.
    Forum Member
    Fantastic thanks. There so much here to go on and I'll find Triumph of the will, it sounds great. It's a shame Netflix is a let down for this sort of thing. I saw The Book Thief recently and it is an outstanding film. I'm going to start preparing my binge :)
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These prior suggestions are all great when it comes to the flourishing of the nazis but the seeds were the first WW and the 1930s economic depression.
    Pretty sure it's well known but just to put things in perspective.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blau licht can be found on youtube with english subtitles ....... "nature mysticism" which underlayed some stranger aspects of nazism along with bizarre occult and "racial" ideas ........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leni riefenstal remains an enigma ....... She saw hitler as "a nice man having nothing to do with world war 2" ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as suggested, the rise of hitler was also associated with germany economic collapse consequent upon "reparation repayments" for world war 1 .......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first of the few. Highly romanticised biopic of reginald mitchell who designed the spitfire airframe. Some coverage of arms race buildup prior to ww2 ...... occasionally shown on tv.
    Forum Member
    More great suggestions, thanks folks.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly OT as it's set during the war but I can't recommend Sophie Scholl highly enough. Stays with you forever.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Isn't Grand Hotel set around that era? Cabaret is a great one.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tin drum
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Isn't Grand Hotel set around that era? Cabaret is a great one.
    No lot earlier, 1932.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    boxx wrote: »
    English spoken preferably but fine if not. Thanks.

Check out the first two episodes of the TV series, The World at War. You can see it online if you Google it.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The book thief is very good and set in Germany itself, very good film.

Yes, I saw this film on the plane home and thought it was a good insight into the world of Nazi Germany.