Options

Hostages (Israeli TV series) on BBC4 from this Saturday

Comments

• Options
    humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good.
    At the moment I prefer the US version, as I thought the chemistry between Toni Colette and the lead 'baddy' was great, whereas the lead 'baddy' in this version is pretty bland.

Yeah my ideal cast would be female actress from this version and the lead male from the US version.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    official ratings from first week...

HOSTAGES (SAT 2100) 412k
    HOSTAGES (SAT 2141) 386k

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Switched off Part 3 after 10 min. Boring and formulaic, with sullen, unpleasant teenage son, petulant daughter, wimpy father, and terrorists who just stand around doing nothing. Not a patch on 'The Bridge' or 'Engrenages'.
  • Options
    pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    tvchris wrote: »
    Switched off Part 3 after 10 min. Boring and formulaic, with sullen, unpleasant teenage son, petulant daughter, wimpy father, and terrorists who just stand around doing nothing. Not a patch on 'The Bridge' or 'Engrenages'.

I thought ep3 was weak but 4 was decent, and genuinely tense.

Very similar to 24 season 1 in style and feel, which isn't really a bad thing. Even the annoying family members and daftness is nice and familiar!
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Yeah, looking forward to it, hope it maintains the high standard (with the exception of the God awful Montelbano) of BBC4 imported productions
    Agree about Monte. This is brilliant and really keeps you in suspense Why are they not giving us one episode a week? It is so packed and gripping for one week.. This week we have three back to back and it is one of the best imports for a while. They are so good looking too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humanracer wrote: »
    Yeah my ideal cast would be female actress from this version and the lead male from the US version.
    I think the female lead would have been a great replacement for Ziva on NCIS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Aha! I've been looking for this thread and thinking no one was watching.
    It's very gripping and beautifully acted. I also have a soft spot for one of the terrorists who is a Nice Man and quite hot.
    The one with the lovely eyes who has chemistry with the daughter..
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one with the lovely eyes who has chemistry with the daughter..

Yes!! Although I'm now rather smitten with the leader guy who took off his mask for Jael. :blush:
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just flying by!

The mother is officially hot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone notice the star wars poster in the son's room and that Yael is wearing a "Yale" top.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there is any reason why the gang don't use a phone jammer to prevent the hostages from communicating with the outside world. Incompetance, perhaps - although it did lead to soldier boy turning up.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Yael needs to be contactable for her job. In episode 1 the leader clones her phone somehow to check what she is doing. Of course they would jam their own phones which wouldn't be too helpful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Yes!! Although I'm now rather smitten with the leader guy who took off his mask for Jael. :blush:
    He also took his mask off for the daughter, such lovely kind eyes. Did Rubin show Yael his face? This is a brilliant series, very exciting and not one cast member lets you down. Who is in the video of the Israeli Embassy?
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also took his mask off for the daughter, such lovely kind eyes. Did Rubin show Yael his face? This is a brilliant series, very exciting and not one cast member lets you down. Who is in the video of the Israeli Embassy?
    I wondered if it was the PM earlier in his career, and the reason Rubin et al want him dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    I wondered if it was the PM earlier in his career, and the reason Rubin et al want him dead.
    Yes and perhaps his mother or wife?
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understood the footage was around thirty years old so I was thinking it could be his mother - and maybe the PM is his father!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    I understood the footage was around thirty years old so I was thinking it could be his mother - and maybe the PM is his father!

Not saying anything : - )
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    humanracer - please stop spoiling the series for other viewers. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rest of the viewing public do not know what they are missing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    humanracer - please stop spoiling the series for other viewers. >:(

Lol I didn't give any spoilers.
  • Options
    pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    humanracer wrote: »
    Lol I didn't give any spoilers.

saying "I'm not saying anything" can be interpreted lots of ways. Just don't say anything.

The last couple of episodes were genuinely tense. The lack of incidental music really works.

Hope the ending delivers because so far this has been really enjoyable.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek:
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was brilliantly nerve racking! So many twists.

Loved the ending :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What happened to the father's "friend" that the young guy took some food and drink to??

Also did I miss the father getting killed or something as he wasn't there at the end?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this series but i'm probably alone in feeling a bit disappointed with the ending. It just felt a bit too surreal given the other episodes.
    It also leaves a couple of questions about implausible last minute plots but I hope there isn't a sequel given the law of diminishing returns...I'm looking at you Broadchurch:D