SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title says :cool:

Comments

• Options
    Gingerbread'Gingerbread' Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say that but I think some need to disconnect from fiction and not mix it up with reality. My nephew died of SIDS and I'm in no way offended or angry at this plot. Instead I think focusing on the damaged mind of a woman who has suffered so much hurt is very interesting. The cot death is just a very small part of a bigger mental health storyline involving Ronnie.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I just think EE is getting more and more depressing, and the baby swap storyline is only going to make it worse. Plus, it's Ronnie - again!
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,300
    Forum Member
    I just think EE is getting more and more depressing, and the baby swap storyline is only going to make it worse. Plus, it's Ronnie - again!

EE has, and always will do gritty storylines, they are the only soap to pull them off, imo. The babt swap storyline will be very well writen me thinks.
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member
    Whatever EastEnders does they can't win - people complain it's to jolly and when they do gritty it's to gritty.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,300
    Forum Member
    ::Adam:: wrote: »
    Whatever EastEnders does they can't win - people complain it's to jolly and when they do gritty it's to gritty.

I agree, EE is defo the most moaned at soap, if you don't like it, don't watch, none is forcing you lol, tis annoying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    I agree, EE is defo the most moaned at soap, if you don't like it, don't watch, none is forcing you lol, tis annoying.

Absolutley true, people have seemed to kick it up a notch recently/
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah some people have to man up for sure. I mean if a baby swap storyline is too much for some eastenders viewers then imagine if they watched movies like a clockwork orange, city of god, reservoir dogs. Some viewers need to realize that there is a difference between real life and TV/movies.
  • Options
    Carol.WCarol.W Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Yeah some people have to man up for sure. I mean if a baby swap storyline is too much for some eastenders viewers then imagine if they watched movies like a clockwork orange, city of god, reservoir dogs. Some viewers need to realize that there is a difference between real life and TV/movies.

I think drama leaving an impresson on viewers is good as it shows it delivered but I agree that some really do appear soft when it comes to certain subjects the soaps cover. Some of the comments I have read from people on here regarding this story makes me worry about their own mental health tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hands up... i love eastenders but i dont think im hardcore enough for this plot... its all just a bit too near the knuckle for me :(
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I have to say the whole storyline is a mistake - they have already ruined Stacey by making her a murderer (thus forcing her eventually to leave) and now they are going to ruin their other remaining two best actresses by ruining one for good (Ronnie) and destroying another (Kat) for up to two years.

These three characters could have been mainstays of the show for another 15 years - but have now made it impossible for two of them to stay in it.

As I said - a big mistake.
  • Options
    eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I have to say the whole storyline is a mistake - they have already ruined Stacey by making her a murderer (thus forcing her eventually to leave) and now they are going to ruin their other remaining two best actresses by ruining one for good (Ronnie) and destroying another (Kat) for up to two years.

These three characters could have been mainstays of the show for another 15 years - but have now made it impossible for two of them to stay in it.

you should never underestermate eastenders, they are not stupid to make it impossible for them to stay after this is over
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    I agree with the point, but maybe you could've worded it better.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you. I also think it was a mistake to kill off Billie and sideline Carol into grief-related storylines as well.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait. It's going to be exciting and makes a change from another bloody affair!
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    they handled SIDS really well in the early years when Sue and Hassans baby son died, so I am hoping they do it as well this time.

Corrie did similar when Kevins wife Alisons son died and she abducted Bethany
    ., and that was handled quite well also
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to it.

Obviously if it was a real life situation my feelings would be much different but its a soap which does dark/depressing best so yes, much to look forward to.
  • Options
    ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
    Forum Member

I don't see how it really ruins Kat's character personally - and you can't really judge till it's on screen IMO
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm EE is a form of entertainment and I'm sure a lot of viewers could watch this but I think sometimes there is a line and EE is kind of crossing it with this plot its starting to bend the realms of belief but hey ho like many have said its up to the individual to watch or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus, it's Ronnie - again!

As you all probably know by now; this is my only complain about the storyline.

More misery for Ronnie. BORING.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Its the actual swapping a dead baby for a live baby that bothers me.

Ronnie is still that babies mother - I can't see any mother swapping their child like that :(
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say that but I think some need to disconnect from fiction and not mix it up with reality. My nephew died of SIDS and I'm in no way offended or angry at this plot. Instead I think focusing on the damaged mind of a woman who has suffered so much hurt is very interesting. The cot death is just a very small part of a bigger mental health storyline involving Ronnie.

I agree with Gingerbread.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be watching but I do think some people are being harsh to those who decide, that for them personally, it's a step too far. I don't believe it makes them any less of a fan. It's a personal thing at the end of the day.

When it comes down to it, it's a very controversial subject. Yes, we've seen rape, child abuse, domestic violence covered in EastEnders before so this is not me preaching that the show is not for the faint hearted. This is EastEnders. Hard-hitting gritty drama is what the show does best so I have no qualm with them covering the death of a child. In fact, I applaud it. Having said that I’m not a parent and more to the point, never suffered the loss of a child. I’ll watch it but can understand why some decide not to. I’ve read some of the reviews from critics who have seen advanced screenings already and I have to say, I had a lump in my throat just reading them.

Anyway, I am interested to see how this storyline plays out, while I’m well aware of how comfortable the viewing will take place. My only real issue with the story is the swap aspect. It just sensationalises the plot somewhat, because knowing EastEnders, they’ll drag it out in big fashion for some epic reveal and I think a story like this is too sensitive for the “twist” aspect to the story. The whole swap doesn’t sit well with me and that’s not because I can’t take it as a viewer or that I think it’s unrealistic. I’m well aware that baby’s do get taken. My fear is that this aspect of the story will cheapen the storyline and take away what is a very traumatic and sensitive story. IMHO a plot like this should not exceed three months. My concern is the longer it goes on, the less it becomes about the tragedy and more about the grand discovery.

Nevertheless, I will watch and I have no doubt that Jessie and Sam will excel in their performances. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by computermaster Yeah some people have to man up for sure. I mean if a baby swap storyline is too much for some eastenders viewers then imagine if they watched movies like a clockwork orange, city of god, reservoir dogs. Some viewers need to realize that there is a difference between real life and TV/movies.

I am not offended by the story line in any way shape or form, but I've decided I will not be watching it. It's not so much the swap issue with me. I know it will upset me to watch it so I'm choosing to save myself the heartache. I'm sure it will be done sensitively and Jessie, Shane,Scott and Samantha will do a wonderful job but it's just not for me.

Ps I've seen all the films mentioned so not really a matter of being a wuss ;)