Options

The Singing Detective BBC4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I presume they are going to show the whole series...

Ep 1 on 5/11/11 at 11:15pm

Never seen it... just clips in other shows. So really hoping they show the lot... and running time is 1hr 5 mins so it would seem to be not cut WOOP WOOP :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I remember watching this as a girl and loved it. Wish it was scheduled a bit earlier this time though. Will probably have to record it.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just bought the DVD.......:(
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    I've had it on DVD for ages - it's truly a superb series. :D

Good on the BBC for showing it again. Hopefully it will gain some new admirers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks OP :)
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,105
    Forum Member
    Brilliant series, glad they're showing it again. I saw it years ago when I was young and I just got the dvd, but hopefully people who've never seen it will give it a try. I always remember the scene in the woods ;);) other fans of TSD will know what I mean
  • Options
    OldvinylOldvinyl Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant series, glad they're showing it again. I saw it years ago when I was young and I just got the dvd, but hopefully people who've never seen it will give it a try. I always remember the scene in the woods ;);) other fans of TSD will know what I mean

Yep, that stuck in my mind too :)
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    First time I saw shagging on TV.:p
  • Options
    A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this show when it was first on and I loved the music from it as well. I hope I remember to watch this as I'd love to see it again. I remember when whats her name lovely looking actress with long brown hair who played the nurse was messaging the cream into his body when he was in hospital very erotic. Last year I watched Oranges are not the only fruit witch was repeated as well by the BBC and it was great to see that again as well.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well worth watching. Perhaps the archetypal Dennis Potter work. Partly based on his own hospital experiences, he had huge fun with nurses & sexual innuendo.

Joanne Whalley had recently become very famous, from Edge of Darkness, and was the hottest actress in Britian!

Also made Michael Gambon famous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.Penrose wrote: »
    Loved this show when it was first on and I loved the music from it as well. I hope I remember to watch this as I'd love to see it again. I remember when whats her name lovely looking actress with long brown hair who played the nurse was messaging the cream into his body when he was in hospital very erotic. Last year I watched Oranges are not the only fruit witch was repeated as well by the BBC and it was great to see that again as well.

Ah! Oranges actress was Charlotte Coleman, who had been the girl in Worzel Gummidge, and is most famous for 4 Weddings.

She had huge problems with asthma, and was found dead in her flat with her inhalor beside her. Very sad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1661229.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks yes that's her from Oranges but I think the nurse was Susan Wally or something like that. She went on to star in the film Scandal in the early 90's.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks yes that's her from Oranges but I think the nurse was Susan Wally or something like that. She went on to star in the film Scandal in the early 90's.

Joanne Whalley. Also temporarily Joanne Whalley-Kilmer, she was married to Val Kilmer for a while.

The Singing Detective is just wonderful, some fabulous performances, and I love how the different layers of the story all intertwine and come together. It's something that sticks in your mind for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes thanks that's her shame you don't hear of her now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's made a career in USA, as did Tracey Ullman & Linda Thorson .......
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As well as the sh*gging scene, which I remember well, the other scene that sticks in my mind is the teacher trying to find out who'd left the turd in the desk. She was truly terrifying. Janet Henfrey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to watching this!
    Interesting fact: this was Imelda Staunton's first ever on screen role :)
  • Options
    OldvinylOldvinyl Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alison Steadman if I remember right?
    Currently in another programme situated in the countryside ;).
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,105
    Forum Member
    Oldvinyl wrote: »
    Alison Steadman if I remember right?
    Currently in another programme situated in the countryside ;).

Yes it was Alison Steadman, the dirty devil;)

Not getting up to the same thing in the countryside in her current programme with Sue and Stephen though:D:D
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not on according to the Freesat EPG, its TOTP1976 thats on. :confused:
  • Options
    Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes thanks that's her shame you don't hear of her now.

Joanne Whalley was in the last series of Gossip Girl...:o I know this because I do watch it occasionally :o:o...anyway, she played Princess Sophie the mother of some European Prince, engaged to Blair Waldorf some American girl. Not her greatest acting achievement, but I'm sure it pays the bills and then some.

As to Singing Detective, I remember seeing this as a girl, and have watched it later as an adult. Brilliant series.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Its not on according to the Freesat EPG, its TOTP1976 thats on. :confused:

Sky's says the same..TOTP 1976?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It starts Sat 19th Nov. at 11pm(after The Killing 2)
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    While I loved every moment of the whole series, possibly my favourite moments were the exchanges between Marlow and Dr Gibbon (the psychiatrist). Wonderful interplay between them, and such excellent dialogue and acting.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Hale and Pace do a brilliant sendup of the hospital-and-ointment scene?
    Ah - one with loads of hits... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erfK0BVA-4M

Also - IIRC, wasn't this Joanne Whalley's big break that led to her playing Christine Keeler in Scandal?
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It starts Sat 19th Nov. at 11pm(after The Killing 2)

Ahh right, thanks for that, ill make a note so i don't forget :)

Them bones, them bones them, dry bones :p