Options

Irrational dislike of speaking on the phone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
Forum Member
does anyone else really hate chatting on the phone especially when the other person calls you?

Or am I a total weirdo? :p

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone else really hate chatting on the phone especially when the other person calls you?

I don't mind being phoned but I just hate calling people as I always feel like I'm going to interrupt them doing something important.
  • Options
    CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather eat a dead dogs dick than speak on the phone
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may have an irrational fear of answering my phone. The feeling of dread comes as soon as I hear it ring :o Absolutely terrifies me.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I have telephonophobia. [highlight]✆☎[/highlight]
  • Options
    Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate speaking on the phone and avoid it as much as i can. If a text can be sent then that is what i do. Phonecalls bring on my anxiety and i end up terrified. It's horrible and lots of people don't get it, my ex boyfriend for one.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    That's why I like Just-Eat :D
  • Options
    oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like speaking on the phone either. I don't think this dislike is irrational, though: it does have a logical basis in social anxiety (albeit very mild). Fear of embarrassment or making a prat of yourself isn't irrational (in fact, it's pretty universal!).

I reckon that, since the vast majority of communication is non-verbal, we lose sight of the hundreds of subtle signals we receive from people when talking to them face-to-face. Consequently, we can't infer how the person is reacting to what we're saying, and that makes us paranoid that the person might be annoyed, or think we're stupid, or be bored, and so on.

Which, of course, makes one even more awkward when speaking, which triggers that paranoia again, etc.

Of course, all this might not be true for everyone. But I think it's true for me, because although I hate the phone, I have absolutely no problem speaking to people face-to-face - in fact, I love meeting people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have an irrational fear, but I'm not overly keen.
  • Options
    PankrationPankration Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I despise it. I think it's particular unpleasantness can be quantified by accepting the rationale that the only reason someone may ring you is beacuse they are, by some measure, in want of something.

I have nothing to give, mr telemarketer, senor scam artist, mon amie monsieur...ring not my ding-a-ling.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like speaking on the phone, but hate leaving answerphone messages. I hardly ever do it.
  • Options
    StripeysoxStripeysox Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    What do you all do at work, don't you have to make and take calls at work?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    At home i dont like ringing people i dont know but i dont mind if they ring me. At work its the opposite. Im not too fond of making calls but i hate answering the phone!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I hate both making and taking calls. I have to mentally prepare myself before i can make a call, often write down what i need to say incase i forget and panic.
    I only answer the phone if i know who is calling.
    Stripeysox wrote: »
    Some people have jobs that don't involve using a phone.

Stupid thing is, once im talking on the phone im usually fine.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont like making calls at all, although I seem to be ok once the conversation gets going, I just get anxious beforehand. Dont really like receiving calls either so much so my phone is unplugged most of the time and I do not own a mobile. I will occasionally do 1471 to see if I've had a call. I have a phone in my bedroom which has its ringer turned off so I do have a working phone if I need one and dont want to mess about replugging my other one in.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Stripeysox wrote: »

I keep my hip flask full of brandy handy. ⚱
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer a face to face conversation.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god,i absolutely hate ringing people I dont know-dr's,enquiry's for things ect,i get absolutely wrecked by anxiety and have to scribble down everything i need to say on a notepad in front of me before i ring or else i go to bits.

I've been like this as long as I can remember,I used to hate ringing my nan after a birthday or xmas to thank them when I was younger.I get so flustered

Unfortunatly,my husband is exactly the same,(in fact its part of his aspergers) and he cant use the phone at all,so i end up doing it all,but its still not getting any easier,even after all these years.

I find it completely debilitating and would probably in a much better position lifewise,if i could phone and sort things out
  • Options
    rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i reckon its a symptom of anxiety, in that other situations are also feared

YANA

I dont like it either
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it. I'm much better at making calls than I used to be, after 7 years of working in offices but I still hate answering the phone. I don't like being put on the spot. It can be a problem in my working life and I do frustrate some of my colleagues because they can't get hold of me, but no matter how many times I ask them to text they won't.
  • Options
    rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it. I'm much better at making calls than I used to be, after 7 years of working in offices but I still hate answering the phone. I don't like being put on the spot. It can be a problem in my working life and I do frustrate some of my colleagues because they can't get hold of me, but no matter how many times I ask them to text they won't.
    yea, being put on the spot is a prime reason for me, whether in personal of professional life
    As theres always something I havent done which I was supposed to lol
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E-mail or text are so much better! You can read, digest, and respond when you've had time to think it through.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have always loathed the phone.
    Its the devils trumpet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    RiDsTeR wrote: »
    I may have an irrational fear of answering my phone. The feeling of dread comes as soon as I hear it ring :o Absolutely terrifies me.

Same. The only person I can really speak to easily is my mum. I relax when I see her name on the caller display
    oxfordruse wrote: »
    I don't like speaking on the phone either. I don't think this dislike is irrational, though: it does have a logical basis in social anxiety (albeit very mild). Fear of embarrassment or making a prat of yourself isn't irrational (in fact, it's pretty universal!).

I reckon that, since the vast majority of communication is non-verbal, we lose sight of the hundreds of subtle signals we receive from people when talking to them face-to-face. Consequently, we can't infer how the person is reacting to what we're saying, and that makes us paranoid that the person might be annoyed, or think we're stupid, or be bored, and so on.

Which, of course, makes one even more awkward when speaking, which triggers that paranoia again, etc.

Of course, all this might not be true for everyone. But I think it's true for me, because although I hate the phone, I have absolutely no problem speaking to people face-to-face - in fact, I love meeting people.

Yeah I think that's it. I also dislike the lack of non verbal communication online. I can never seem to get my point across as well as I can in person. Although I don't worry about posting online obviously :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or am I a total weirdo? :p

No, I'm not fan of phones either. A day without a phone call is a good day.

I've always been completely bewildered by peoples excitement at phones and the need to have it glued to their hand.

I understand it even less now that I've just bought my first smart phone. Turns out its just a phone.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate making phone calls when my hubby is in the room. I don't like mobile to mobile calls, can't understand what's been said. When my depression is really bad, just phone ringing makes my stomach churn. In all seriousness, I'm so glad someone has started this thread. Don't feel like I'm the only one who struggles with phones.