Tony Blackburn

RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
Forum Member
✭✭
With the excellent news that Tony Blackburn is to be given a second life time achievement “Gold” award by the Radio Academy, I think they should have created a new award especially for Tony to recognize his outstanding contribution to UK radio, How about a new “Platinum” award?? Just for Tony the master broadcaster of UK popular radio!!

What do you think??

Comments

• HaggisSupperHaggisSupper Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    SURELY there must be some way that the public can nominate Tony for an OBE at the very least,
    for 'Services to Broadcasting'?

Considering how so many seemingly much less desrving bootlickers in politics, TV, 'the Arts', etc get all sorts of gongs handed out to them just for turning up and seeing their chums in the bar, there must be some way that Tony should get a higher and more well-deserved public level award than just a 'doubler' of an existing one from an organisation which (sorry, no offense to them intended) is meaningless to radio listeners never mind the general public and is sponsored now by two other 'organisations' ever less meaningful to the public.

Or, is Tony one of these modest (!?) people who have secretly actually declined proffered 'British Empire' gongs in the past, for whatever personal reasons of their own?
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    SURELY there must be some way that the public can nominate Tony for an OBE at the very least,

Considering how so many seemingly much less desrving bootlickers in politics, TV, 'the Arts', etc get all sorts of gongs handed out to them just for turning up and seeing their chums in the bar, there must be some way that Tony should get a higher and more well-deserved public level award than just a 'doubler' of an existing one from an organisation which (sorry, no offense to them intended) is meaningless to radio listeners never mind the general public and is sponsored now by two other 'organisations' ever less meaningful to the public.

Or, is Tony one of these modest (!?) people who have secretly actually declined proffered 'British Empire' gongs in the past, for whatever personal reasons of their own?

I assumed he had one already - it seems not. Mind you, they've only just made Nicholas Parsons an OBE at the age of 90, so he may have a couple of decades to go ;-)
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,402
    Forum Member

Forgetting others who've been given a gong like an obe etc for a second I'd like to ask what makes Blackburn worthy of a gong? I don't agree with a lot of celebs getting gongs just for doing their job. What else has Tony done to make him worthy?

This isn't an attack on him as he deserves the Radio Academy award.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He 's contributed so much to Radio right across different brands. Not many broadcasters have done this.
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    I'd like to ask what makes Blackburn worthy of a gong? I don't agree with a lot of celebs getting gongs just for doing their job. What else has Tony done to make him worthy?

He does a lot of work for charidee.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    From the start of the pirates to right up to date, he's always been at the top and given everything he's got, he's one of a kind.

He should be made 'Sir' Tony for sure.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    Loved Tony's comment saying that the committee must have assumed he'd be dead by now.

Still makes me smile, yesterday when he was presenting Second Time Around on Radio 2 he played Peter Andre and said that Peter had a panic attack yesterday, he went shopping and realised that he didn't have a film crew with him:D

Nice one Tony, well and truly deserved. How many other presenters at his age could do 8 hours of live radio in one day on three separate stations?
    Forum Member
    From the start of the pirates to right up to date, he's always been at the top and given everything he's got, he's one of a kind.

I don't doubt his ability but being made a sir just for doing a radio show every day, really? Hr gets very well paid for doing it and I don't know what else he dors. He may spend his spare time doing work for mumbai street kids or something and if so good luck to hom as he may dederve a gong.

I just don"t understand why doing a radio show is worthy of a knighthood.
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    I don't doubt his ability but being made a sir just for doing a radio show every day, really? Hr gets very well paid for doing it and I don't know what else he dors. He may spend his spare time doing work for mumbai street kids or something and if so good luck to hom as he may dederve a gong.

I just don"t understand why doing a radio show is worthy of a knighthood.

Recognition for lifelong services rendered to entertainment.

You could ask the same of almost anyone who's been knighted - Mick Jagger, Bruce Forsyth, Bradley Wiggins etc, etc.
    Forum Member
    Recognition for lifelong services rendered to entertainment.

You could ask the same of almost anyone who's been knighted - Mick Jagger, Bruce Forsyth, Bradley Wiggins etc, etc.

I could and often do.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,600
    Forum Member
    I don't think he should get an award for his jokes though.
    Forum Member
    Arise, Sir Tony!
  • Excess BaggageExcess Baggage Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sir Tony of Blackburn has a nice tone to it...........:p
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    couldn't agree more he certainly deserves it
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,872
    Forum Member
    Very well done 15 minute documentary Wonderful Tony Blackburn celebrating Tony's 50 Years on the air produced by Stuart Clarkson for Radio Today

https://soundcloud.com/stuartclarkson/wonderful-tony-blackburn-documentary
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    He's a guest on Richard Bacon's show after 3 today
  • the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats Tony on a well deserved award.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sensational ;)
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he should be made a SIr :D
  • Excess BaggageExcess Baggage Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Toe-Knee :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fs6fAsJ_U4&feature=kp

I'll get me coat......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a clue about Tony but I know if yu are offered a gong you do not have to accept it. I bellieve Bowie turned one down some years ago.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    He does a lot of work for charidee.

.. but doesn't like to talk about it...
  • RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony will be sitting in for Steve Wright on bank holiday monday with a special show celebrating his fifty years in radio with "Fifty at Fifty" He will play one song from each year 1964-2013, As always this show should be a good listen!!!
  • BohochicBohochic Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I've been listening to the brilliant Alex Lester on Radio 2 for as long as I can remember and have always loved his programme. However, I can't stand the Nightflash feature that he flogs to death now for an hour and a quarter every night, its ruined the programme for me. Really lame Alex, please drop it - A Fan
  • BohochicBohochic Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Whoops, sorry, wrong thread