Options

I feel sorry for the people who work on christmas day

Comments

• Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    Don't. A lot of people don't give a crepe about christmas. It's just a day like any other.

Maybe to you, but not the majority of the country.

I do feel sorry for people who need to work that have young families at home they want to spend Christmas Day with.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd happily cme into work on 25 December if I could and take it in lieu at a more worthwhile time.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband worked last year on Christmas Day and it was weird. I stayed home alone watching TV and eating Quality Street whilst he worked alone getting bored as he works in a prison and there was no movement that day.

We ended up having our Christmas Day on Boxing Day.

This year is different though. He is home all day, and i cant wait.
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a nurse I used to volunteer to work Xmas/Boxing Day. We used to have a fabulous time on the wards as patients and visitors used to feel sorry for us and bring us all manner of food and drink - I often used to wobble home after a shift.

Once we had the excitement of Rolf coming to do his 'presents for the patients' programme - you've never seen so many people volunteering to work in your life when it was announced. He was a very pleasant chap and did manage to cheer a lot of people up. Unfortunately I was asked to keep out of shot because, as the programme director said, 'the audience want to see tits and short skirts love'. I did manage to gurn my way into one shot by accident - I was coming back from a crafty **** in the loo and found the camera on me as I opened the door. Thankfully it panned away from me immediately.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Obseen wrote: »
    being with the family is work enough.

I used to work Xmas to get away from the family. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I don't think I would ever be able to do that. Christmas is so important in our family, it gets very 'National Lampoon's' but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am very grateful for all the people who have to work over Christmas for the benefit of others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    My other half is choosing to work for a few hours as he's being paid a lot more and he can't bare Christmas.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I don't.

Christmas is nothing special, it's just another day. Worked them myself in the past and couldn't give 2 hoots. The world shouldn't come to a stop because of some pointless "holiday" about fictional people that were made up 2,000 years ago.

At the end of the day Christmas Day is just that, a plain old ordinary day.

I wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year :)

And double to any who share their life with you.

My ex (I stress ex) thought exactly like you. Now I enjoy Christmas again, hooray! :)
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winterland wrote: »
    it gets very 'National Lampoon's' but I wouldn't have it any other way.

One of my fav Christmas movies - and your Christmas sounds wonderful :D
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked Xmas eve/day/boxing day one year, and I vowed never to do it again - i was 8-4 xmas day, by the time I got home my dad had a few drinks so I was stuck in, then 2-10 boxing day! So far I have avoided all Xmas working hehe, but this year I am an Xmas Temp, so I thought - I'll need to work Xmas, while my hubby is off 4 days, and this is our first Xmas married, so a kinda special one, but I have found out i'm off from the 22nd to about the 28th! Jackpot! New year I dont care about!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    me too
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year :)

And double to any who share their life with you.

My ex (I stress ex) thought exactly like you. Now I enjoy Christmas again, hooray! :)

Merry Fictional Man Day to you too. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did 8 hours Christmas day last year, but only because I was offered double pay. £160 for one day's work ain't bad.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never worked on Xmas day but I don't think it would bother me - especially if it was triple time and a day off in lieu.

Not everyone think Dec 25th is the most wonderful day of the year. I'm sure many would rather be working rather being alone, stuck with relatives they don't like or out of work.

Go to other countries and not everything grinds to a halt. In Spain the buses and trains run on Xmas Day.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    What if you are a Muslim, Jewish or Hindu for instance? Christmas Day is just another day, so surely it's no big deal.
    The religious aspect, no, but the break is probably nice for a lot of them, like it is for us.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The religious aspect, no, but the break is probably nice for a lot of them, like it is for us.

I have also seen Muslims struggling along the high street like the rest of us with their bags of Christmas presents and tinsel. Some do take on the traditional festival without the religious side.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tombstone wrote: »
    When I was a nurse I used to volunteer to work Xmas/Boxing Day. We used to have a fabulous time on the wards as patients and visitors used to feel sorry for us and bring us all manner of food and drink - I often used to wobble home after a shift.

Once we had the excitement of Rolf coming to do his 'presents for the patients' programme - you've never seen so many people volunteering to work in your life when it was announced. He was a very pleasant chap and did manage to cheer a lot of people up. Unfortunately I was asked to keep out of shot because, as the programme director said, 'the audience want to see tits and short skirts love'. I did manage to gurn my way into one shot by accident - I was coming back from a crafty **** in the loo and found the camera on me as I opened the door. Thankfully it panned away from me immediately.

No way would you be allowed to drink on duty nowadays.I am a nurse and i'm working Christmas Eve night and Boxing night and i'm a bit pi$$ed off about it to be honest, wont get chance to sleep much on Christmas day so gonna be grumpy and irritable and wont be able to drink Boxing Day cos i'm back in that night, wouldn't mind if the shifts had been divvied out fairly but alot of the chosen few aren't working any shifts at all over Christmas, cos they want to spend time with Granny/Auntie/Uncle Tom Cobly and all, yeah well dont we all.

Rant done. Merry Christmas to my fellow workers :D
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way would you be allowed to drink on duty nowadays.

Why do you think I don't practise anymore? :)
  • Options
    The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im working all over Xmas and New Year, no days off in lieu, no double time, just my £1.43 per hour as normal. I am a carer for my husband. :(
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm working XMAS Day, Boxing day and new years day

Can't for life of me think exactly what we get paid - probably not enough!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My housemate is working Christmas Eve night finishing at 8 or something Christmas morning and with no tube or buses I have no idea how he will get home. It's a long walk! I'll have lunch ready waiting.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Not everyone makes a big deal about Christmas, in fact not everyone celebrates it. I would quite happily work on Christmas Day if it meant getting some decent overtime.

I can sympathise with those who have to work on Christmas Day against their will, but then I would imagine most of them knew what they were letting themselves in for when they entered the job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only trouble with working or having family work Christmas Day is that you can't go away. I've worked Christmases and had our Christmas Day the followiing day or whatever. It's not a problem until you want to spend it with other family and you can't.
  • Options
    JustJanetnoJohnJustJanetnoJohn Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    My husband is working christmas eve, day and boxing day. Does make me sad but we will going away for the new year. Spend the big day with my parents and son. At least get a nice pay packet in January.:(
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    My o.h works every Christmas and boxing day in a nursing home, its no different to any other day of the year and she receives nothing extra for working those days just the normal flat rate.