Peter Andre - even more chapters of "his life"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The condition can bring dark thoughts and a person can do things they never thought they would ever do. I would never accuse or presume someone was attention seeking especially with medical problems. It is always hard to remind oneself to “Try walking in another’s shoes for a week” and “There go for the grace of god go I” yet it’s something I regularly try to do as karma can be a b*tc* something I would not wish on my worst enemy.

American hospitals are different from ours, I do not believe the straight jacket comment but it would not surprise me if he was surrounded by people with to the extreme mental health problems that caused him deep concern and further stress.

If you check the history of this country and what they use to do with mental health patients at the same period of time as in America you would be horrified. UK has been progressive USA is still a little backward. In USA the more money you have the better quality of service and care, the less monies you have the worse service you will receive. In UK in the 80’s your first port of call was a physiatric unit, can still be this way when they attempt to find a diagnoses. It can be extremely concerning to for all concerned.

In the past If a family member had a mental health problem, cancer etc it was kept within the family as if it was a big dirty dark secrets, it can still be this way today. An employer knowing you have previously had a problem may not employ you today. In my opinion the more people talk on subjects like this the more it becomes the norm, more people will seek help, no more kept secrets, less people harmed, less suicides, no more discrimination etc. I agree that the straight jacket comment was irresponsible and could cause people concern and fear to come forward and should never have been written. Yet what seems like many accusing Peter of not having health problems and only seeking attention is also in my opinion irresponsible. Someone (many) on DS could be going through a difficult time and after reading what many have wrote on this thread may fear seeking help will be seen as attention seeking.

in my opinion, no one should say anyone is an attention seeker when it comes to health problems. A line in my opinion No one should cross even if you disslike another.

We live in a world that is so cold and comes across as so uncaring, I am sure at times in everyone’s life they have felt that everyone and anything is against us and that no one cares. The world seems to have lost “understanding” “empathy” we have lost community spirit, we all lock our doors not giving a damn about another and it’s all about “me” never another. It’s only going to get worse if people don’t make a change.

If anyone out there going through a difficult time in their life come off the internet but if you feel you cannot please do not take all that’s written as truth. Please keep searching for someone that cares, go to your doctors do not suffer alone, some do care x

I fully except to be lambasted for what I have written “ce la vie” carry on with ur good selfs I truly do not give a damn...

Well said I agree with all the above,

I suffered crippling panic attacks in the 90's and you cannot compare the understanding of mental health today as it was then.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American hospitals are different from ours, I do not believe the straight jacket comment but it would not surprise me if he was surrounded by people with to the extreme mental health problems that caused him deep concern and further stress.

What have American hospitals got to do with this?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Oh - and also - people being 'put off' getting help because people are accusing PA of 'attention seeking' - no, more than likely, they would be put off by thinking that if they do seek help they will be surrounded by patients in strait jackets and that panic and anxiety is a psychiatric disorder - it isn't. He is misinforming people and IMHO that is way more dangerous than criticising him per se.
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the point may be that people who are genuinely suffering from mental health issues may well be dissuaded from seeking help when they read about PA being surrounded by people in straitjackets.
    There is already more than enough stigmatisation of the mentally ill without PA the professional drama queen adding to it.
    You would think that someone with so many contacts in the medical profession would know better - but after the "They won't let me give my brother my kidney" nonsense,is anyone really that surprised.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »

Didn't he say he checked himself into a hospital in America? That was my understanding anyway
  • Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I had meningitis five years ago, which was a very scary time. Thankfully it was diagnosed very quickly. I was in a marathon and was feeling really off — like someone had hit me over the head with a hammer. Everyone else around me just thought it was the flu, but I knew something was seriously wrong."...........

Hmmm, making himself out to be the 'one who knew' when in fact Katie Price relates the events of that time differently and far more accurately. In her book she said they were in the US when he began feeling ill on a photo shoot (nothing mentioned about a marathon) and he got steadily worse on the plane home. Collapsed a day later at their house and was in hosp for three days with no diagnosis until a lumbar puncture was done and meningitis was diagnosed so that's not 'diagnosing it quickly'....they were being filmed for their show at the time so KP's account matches what was happeningn in their lives at the time. Does he think people are as witless as he is...?

This is what annoys me, he could have just said about the meningitis but he had to go for the sympathy vote by adding he was running a marathon at the time and top up the sympathy with a little dollop of "poor me" (everyone else thought it was the flu but i knew). It's CAN Pr by the book.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the point may be that people who are genuinely suffering from mental health issues may well be dissuaded from seeking help when they read about PA being surrounded by people in straitjackets.
    There is already more than enough stigmatisation of the mentally ill without PA the professional drama queen adding to it.
    You would think that someone with so many contacts in the medical profession would know better - but after the "They won't let me give my brother my kidney" nonsense,is anyone really that surprised.
    Remember, this is the man who spun moob strain into a ZOMG!!! I could have Died!!! Heart Scare. I take every peice of medical info from Peter Andre with a hefty pinch of salt. He's a dangerous idiot because crap he spouts gets reprinted in magazines.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I had meningitis five years ago, which was a very scary time. Thankfully it was diagnosed very quickly. I was in a marathon and was feeling really off — like someone had hit me over the head with a hammer. Everyone else around me just thought it was the flu, but I knew something was seriously wrong."...........

Hmmm, making himself out to be the 'one who knew' when in fact Katie Price relates the events of that time differently and far more accurately. In her book she said they were in the US when he began feeling ill on a photo shoot (nothing mentioned about a marathon) and he got steadily worse on the plane home. Collapsed a day later at their house and was in hosp for three days with no diagnosis until a lumbar puncture was done and meningitis was diagnosed so that's not 'diagnosing it quickly'....they were being filmed for their show at the time so KP's account matches what was happeningn in their lives at the time. Does he think people are as witless as he is...?
    I have just read an old press article from 2010 ( Daily Mail 14th Feb) By Andre and he says the same story as you say Katie did in her book.. He doesn't mention a marathon ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not believe the straight jacket comment but it would not surprise me if he was surrounded by people with to the extreme mental health problems that caused him deep concern and further stress.

So if we can agree that he 'exaggerated' (aka lied about) the strait jacketed company he kept, then we can agree that he may also have 'exaggerated' other aspects of his condition, yes? And subsequent conditions, yes? Good.

His history for exaggeration and attention-seeking is unfortunate. It's almost like he can't help himself, his default setting seems to be to always make a play for sympathy above and beyond the sympathy that would be there in any case. But no. Always with the spinning.
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Remember, this is the man who spun moob strain into a ZOMG!!! I could have Died!!! Heart Scare. I take every peice of medical info from Peter Andre with a hefty pinch of salt. He's a dangerous idiot because crap he spouts gets reprinted in magazines.

Moob strain!!
    :eek:
    How on earth do you strain a moob? Rubbing the Fake Bake in a hard-to-reach area?

Thing is though,if PA had actually told the truth about his issues,he would probably have got more sympathy and understanding than all this "I COULD HAVE DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!" nonsense every time he so much as breaks a fingernail.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Oh - and also - people being 'put off' getting help because people are accusing PA of 'attention seeking' - no, more than likely, they would be put off by thinking that if they do seek help they will be surrounded by patients in strait jackets and that panic and anxiety is a psychiatric disorder - it isn't. He is misinforming people and IMHO that is way more dangerous than criticising him per se.

Good on you for standing your ground against such ignorance.:D
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was the point I was making as well.

There have been enough scare stories in the media about people suffering from minor mental health issues having their children removed etc without scaring people even more. if someone starts suffering from panic attacks and thinks they could end up in what they basically think is the madhouse, then that is likely to discourage them from seeking help.
    By celebs being open and honest about mental health, it does help to removed the stigma and make people think 'oh x suffers from depression and is still successful' then maybe they'll realise it isn't something to be ashamed of.
    PA coming out telling tales which sound like a bad 70's horror film will do nothing to help.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glad it wasn't just me who was wondering that. :confused:

Btw, I had a friend who suffered panic attacks and eating disorders back in the mid 80's and she was admitted to am NHS unit alongside people suffering conditions such as anxiety, depression and *mild* psychiatric problems. No straightjackets or people walking round like zombies. they were kept somewhere completely different.
    So to say things have changed since the 90's is true but things were not as bad as PA has painted even 25 years ago.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Whatever your point is, nobody is ever (under any circumstances, private or otherwise) treated for a psychiatric disorder with a straight jacket.:mad:

Very untrue.

It was an American hospital that he checked himself in to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffer from very bad anxiety myself and I can categorically state that anxiety is NOT a psychiatric condition and would NOT be treated in a psychiatric ward. Furthermore, someone 'checking themselves in' to a psychiatric hospital would not be surrounded by other patients in straitjackets.

We do indeed live in a cold and 'unsympathetic' world - made worse by cretins like Peter Andre that portray a completely absurd picture of mental health care that does nothing but cause damage and confusion.

He had a nervous breakdown. It IS a psychiatric condition. And so is anxiety.
    Why do people usually go to a psychiatric hospital?:confused:
    Andre said one man was in a straight jacket.
    A straight jacket was used when a patient is a threat to the safety of others or themselves. It was New York in the 90's, I don't see why it would be out of the question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very untrue.

It was an American hospital that he checked himself in to.

Thanks, I saw that after I'd posted earlier (when BettyB responded to my Q.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Glad it wasn't just me who was wondering that. :confused:

Btw, I had a friend who suffered panic attacks and eating disorders back in the mid 80's and she was admitted to am NHS unit alongside people suffering conditions such as anxiety, depression and *mild* psychiatric problems. No straightjackets or people walking round like zombies. they were kept somewhere completely different.
    So to say things have changed since the 90's is true but things were not as bad as PA has painted even 25 years ago.

Can you share with the group where they have banned the use of straight jackets in USA hospitals?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Frank Bruno was sectioned for having a nervous breakdown IN THE UK, he described the people there as walking around like zombies, from the medication. He was also attacked by a man with a knife.
    People like Bruno and PA who bring their personal (taboo) condition into the public eye to help others, should be commended. Not slagged off as he is being on this thread. People should be ashamed, especially for the 'attention-seeking' comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    He had a nervous breakdown. It IS a psychiatric condition. And so is anxiety.
    Why do people usually go to a psychiatric hospital?:confused:
    Andre said one man was in a straight jacket.
    A straight jacket was used when a patient is a threat to the safety of others or themselves. It was New York in the 90's, I don't see why it would be out of the question.

OK, well, if you think that it's de rigeur to be admitted to a psychiatric unit after suffering a panic attack and to be surrounded by patients who are a severe danger to themselves and others - then so be it.

I still think it's a pile of toilet.

BTW - the spelling is straitjacket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Frank Bruno was sectioned for having a nervous breakdown IN THE UK, he described the people there as walking around like zombies, from the medication. He was also attacked by a man with a knife.
    People like Bruno and PA who bring their personal (taboo) condition into the public eye to help others, should be commended. Not slagged off as he is being on this thread. People should be ashamed, especially for the 'attention-seeking' comments.

No. Andre should be ashamed for making mental health care seem like an alien world - when it isn't.

Frank Bruno is not the subject of this thread - you brought him into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, well, if you think that it's de rigeur to be admitted to a psychiatric unit after suffering a panic attack and to be surrounded by patients who a severe danger to themselves and others - then so be it.

I still think it's a pile of toilet.

He didn't say he was surrounded by patients who were a severe danger to themselves and others. He said there was ONE MAN in a straight jacket. He didn't say he was put with him either. Is Frank Bruno lying about the man who tried to knife him? Do they all get locked in a room each?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Andre should be ashamed for making mental health care seem like an alien world - when it isn't.

Frank Bruno is not the subject of this thread - you brought him into it.

Who said he was the subject? And yes I did bring him into it. So? Is it off-topic?
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He is an attention seeker. You can have panic attacks and still be an attention seeker.

He seeks our attention constantly - watch my show, read my column, buy my "music". As a 40 year old man who has been on all sides of fame, I am sure he is smart enough to know not all attention will be positive, nor can you fool everyone, all the time.

He plays the odds and takes the money. His choice, as an informed adult. He has certainly made more than enough money to stop, should he be too fragile to deal with negatives.

As an informed adult, he chooses not to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He didn't say he was surrounded by patients who were a severe danger to themselves and others. He said there was ONE MAN in a straight jacket. He didn't say he was put with him either. Is Frank Bruno lying about the man who tried to knife him? Do they all get locked in a room each?

Why was a man in a straitjacket mixing with other patients and not in isolation? It's fantasy.

I don't know about Frank Bruno - perhaps you'd like to elucidate seeing as you keep mentioning him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is an attention seeker. You can have panic attacks and still be an attention seeker.

He seeks our attention constantly - watch my show, read my column, buy my "music". As a 40 year old man who has been on all sides of fame, I am sure he is smart enough to know not all attention will be positive, nor can you fool everyone, all the time.

He plays the odds and takes the money. His choice, as an informed adult. He has certainly made more than enough money to stop, should he be too fragile to deal with negatives.

As an informed adult, he chooses not to.

I don't see how any of your post is appropriate to what I said. I never said he isn't an attention seeker. But to call a nervous breakdown attention seeking-itus, is another matter.