Oz the Great and Powerful

1235»

Comments

• Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this in 3D earlier and was disappointed, had some amusing moments at the start and the finale was good but could've done with about 30mins trimmed from the middle and overall was about on par with Tim Burton' Alice in Wonderland - 5/10
  • gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it in 3D, thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Franco was funny.

My only criticism is that Mila Kunis was not very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    saw this last night , I really liked it , and there are moments where its an absolute delight .

the best things are - the china doll and the talking monkey , they just steal the movie , it does wander off track a bit in the final 3rd , I wasn't very interested in the Witches and their feuds .

it looked great too . Franco was good , but I couldn't help wondering if they wrote the role for Jonny Depp .

I would have to agree with that especially the china doll.
    When we first find her and her legs are broken it's really sad and touching when he puts her back together again.

I thought the set up before he goes to Oz was a bit slow as well. They had to do it, but I don't think it worked too well.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,686
    Forum Member
    I liked that bit with the china doll as well :)
    Was she suposed to be the girl in the wheelchair in Kansas?
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I liked that bit with the china doll as well :)
    Was she suposed to be the girl in the wheelchair in Kansas?
    Yes...
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I will wait for the DVD now as I keep saying I'll go to see it then forget! Plus I have ordered a blu-ray player so by then I could also have the blu-ray :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I will wait for the DVD now as I keep saying I'll go to see it then forget! Plus I have ordered a blu-ray player so by then I could also have the blu-ray :)

I don't think it's one of those films you 'have' to see in a cinema so you could just wait for it on dvd. :)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Bluray wrote: »
    Kunis was the worst one - totally miscast. Did you believe she and Rachel Weisz were sisters?

Severely lacking the feeling of friendship and personal journey that the characters in Wizard of Oz had. Over-reliance on cgi characters, can't they get midgets to dress up like the old days?

This has Star Wars prequel type issues - no heart, all about the look and the 3D effect.

Sums up my feelings towards it pretty well. Major pacing problems - could easily have trimmed half an hour out of it. It had none of the charm and humanity of The Wizard of Oz and, as you say, was overly reliant on CGI and noisy special effects.

The cast were all pretty abysmal. It's all very well casting TV actors like Mila Kunis in order to get the kids in but they don't have the talent to carry big screen films. Franco was entirely unconvincing but with such a poor script, Robert Downey Jr had a lucky escape by not taking the role.

Very disappointing film. Go and see In The House to see how a director tells a story.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Good film with great characters, excellent cgi and extremely funny throughout BUT FAR TOO LONG at 130 minutes.
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree that Mila Kunis was totally miscast so was james Franco. I'm not sure about Rachel Weisz but loved everyone and everything else.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a rumour going around that Isabelle Allen, known for Les Mis, is in line to play Dorothy in the next movie but Disney are keeping it under wraps for the time being. It was said last year Isabelle had a secret Disney project planned but it wasn't allowed to be revealed.

If they are remaking The Wizzard Of Oz this early it goes against the original idea of doing three movies before the inevitable remake.