Shall I get an I-pad?

Comments

• SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes get an ipad. They are amazing. I love mine and use it every day. :D Also, if you can afford it get the 3G version so the ipad becomes fully mobile.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    In practice it makes little difference as most video is available in HTML 5 or through available apps.

Yes, you're right. Not really a negative.
    Also, huge difference between 7" and 10"
    Latter perfect size.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    rjb101 wrote: »
    I don't agree, to me the Nexus 7 screen is a bit narrow if held portrait, The ipad is only 1/2 inch wider but seems to be a better shape, if you get my drift. Maybe it's the aspect ratio is different.

However .. each to there own

The iPad does have a 4:3 screen as opposed to most android tablets that are 16:9.

I do prefer the 4:3 screen ratio myself.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my ipad, I use it constantly. It's only downside for me is the lack of Flashplayer.
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...but, as above, there are Apps which do what an Adobe Flash does.
    So many Apps, cover most things.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Typing on the Ipad is as bad as using a ZX81, i doubt she would cope with that being a touch typist, she needs feed back the other problem is that the screen would be flat as you are typing.

I think her choice of a netbook is the best for her and it was cheaper as well. Lots of storage on the drive.

I was surprised how well it worked considering what I chucked at it. sound from the internal speakers was certainly better than what I have heard on a Ipad.

No, you are talking about what you think you need to type.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Not true.
    "In October 2012 Google announced that Google Play had 700,000 apps available to download, matching the number of apps in Apple's App Store."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Play

I am talking about ++tablet++ apps!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad does have a 4:3 screen as opposed to most android tablets that are 16:9.

I do prefer the 4:3 screen ratio myself.

The 4:3 ratio, a screen ratio I hated intensely on TV and computer monitors, makes perfect sense for a tablet. I see the 4:3 ratio as a big advantage for the iPad and iPad mini.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 4:3 ratio, a screen ratio I hated intensely on TV and computer monitors, makes perfect sense for a tablet. I see the 4:3 ratio as a big advantage for the iPad and iPad mini.

Depends what you are doing I guess, for watching movies or TV 16:9 is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Depends what you are doing I guess, for watching movies or TV 16:9 is better.

Only if you are concerned with 16:9 content filling your entire screen. The movie or TV show will look exactly the same on the iPad, in the same aspect ratio, but will simply not fill the entire screen. A 10" 16:9 screen will simply have a bit bigger picture.

4:3 is best because it accommodates overall content more efficiently and allows for more viewable space when typing onscreen.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if you are concerned with 16:9 content filling your entire screen. The movie or TV show will look exactly the same on the iPad, in the same aspect ratio, but will simply not fill the entire screen. A 10" 16:9 screen will simply have a bit bigger picture.

4:3 is best because it accommodates overall content more efficiently and allows for more viewable space when typing onscreen.

But with a smaller keyboard, it's all very subjective, I wouldn't say either is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    But with a smaller keyboard, it's all very subjective, I wouldn't say either is better.

The keys on the iPad in landscape mode are the same size as on a Mac keyboard. :)
  • biawhiskabiawhiska Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Why bother? Get a decent PC and a phone. Tablets were a flash in the pan and rather pointless.

I have to agree. I have a Nexus 7., Hardly ever use it. It won;t switch on the half the time.

I wish I'd gotten a new lap top :rolleyes:
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    biawhiska wrote: »
    I have to agree. I have a Nexus 7., Hardly ever use it. It won;t switch on the half the time.

Depends what you want to use it for. A Laptop is a productivity tool where as a tablet is a consumption tool. They do different jobs.

If I'm out and about I can slip a small tablet into a jacket pocket and it's provides a better option that trying to view web pages or type email etc than a phone does.

But no one would for example prepare a powerpoint presentation on a tablet when a laptop or desktop would be far better.

In fact I'm not even a fan of using a tablet for presentations, you have to hold the thing all the time to change slides where as with a laptop you can simply use a small remote.

In fact if I need to travel light but want the benefits of a laptop for presentations I carry a mini computer or a netbook.

But for sitting on a train surfing a tablet is the best option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Obviously the market disagrees with both of you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Imo nexus 7 is much better value for a great device although its small

But big enough at the same time if that makes sense , very impressed with mine , much prefer it to the iPad we have ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can I have it? I live in smoke free home and it will be loved and cuddled each day.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Can I have it? I live in smoke free home and it will be loved and cuddled each day.

No, you can't have it!! :mad: I want it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But big enough at the same time if that makes sense , very impressed with mine , much prefer it to the iPad we have ...

Android have few tablet apps in comparison though.
    Forum Member

That's true - but Android apps tend to scale up tot he screen size so it's not usually a problem.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    That's true - but Android apps tend to scale up tot he screen size so it's not usually a problem.

Many of the apps don't scale up well. Also some of the ipad apps have added functionality other their iphone counterparts.However on the plus side, at least you don't usually have to buy a tablet version if you are using an android device and have previously bought the app to run on your phone. With the ipad you sometimes have to buy the ipad app.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member

Never struggled top found what i need , and if there isn't a tablet version then I have my N4 to take care of it ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

A scaled up phone app is not the same as a tablet app. Far from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never struggled top found what i need , and if there isn't a tablet version then I have my N4 to take care of it ;)

What's the point of switching to a phone when you really want to be using a tablet?

You may not have struggled with the selection but that's a pretty comment complaint amongst Android tablet users, and likely explains why they get such little use after purchase compared to an iPad.
    Forum Member
    You may not have struggled with the selection but that's a pretty comment complaint amongst Android tablet users, and likely explains why they get such little use after purchase compared to an iPad.

I'm sure you have something to backup this sweeping statement?