LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane Abbott lives in a council house too, doesn't she?

No, she doesn't, she has her own home.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    His health minister Norman Lamb has made sure mental health gets extra resources.

Its impossible to change priorities when mental health is hardly aired as a subject at least LBC are prepared to give the discussion air time.

Its a very serious issue and since Virginia Bottomley disastrously bought us "care in the community" as if, it has not had the priority it should have done from any government.

I agree it deserves discussion and more resources. And I'm very aware of the seriousness of the issue thanks. I'm just less convinced by Nick Clegg's motives. I'll try to be less cynical.

As for Virginia Bottomley, she's been out of the picture for 20 years and both of the main parties have had ample opportunity to change things since then so how about we just move on Hmm?
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    OK I'll try again. 'Research shows' that by far the majority of domestic fatalities occur in the kitchen and bathroom. This does not mean that I won't cook, wash dishes or have a bath.
    To widen the issue, the 'threat level' is being discussed now on Iain Dale's show. One of the best weapons for keeping a population bowed, cowed and submissive is to keep them afraid.

Sorry Charlie, but you're not winning me round. I don't think the example you give is even in the same ballpark.

It does appear that driving while on the phone, whether hands-free or not, is a far greater distraction than the driver realises. This puts other people's lives at risk and is inherently selfish and dangerous. Even the briefest google pulls up lots of research from different sources.

People have to have a bath and prepare food, but they don't have to speak on the phone while driving. And incidentally, I wouldn't chop food with a sharp knife while on the phone personally - and that is 'common sense' to me - because I don't want to be distracted and increase the risk of cutting myself. Same for driving, really.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Sorry Charlie, but you're not winning me round. I don't think the example you give is even in the same ballpark.

It does appear that driving while on the phone, whether hands-free or not, is a far greater distraction than the driver realises. This puts other people's lives at risk and is inherently selfish and dangerous. Even the briefest google pulls up lots of research from different sources.

People have to have a bath and prepare food, but they don't have to speak on the phone while driving. And incidentally, I wouldn't chop food with a sharp knife while on the phone personally - and that is 'common sense' to me - because I don't want to be distracted and increase the risk of cutting myself. Same for driving, really.
    No worries, makeba. I'm not trying to 'win you (or anyone else) round'.
    Merely expressing my opinion and point of view.
    In fact, you having your own opinion rather argues this for me. In other words, by far the majority of people are perfectly capable of making up their own minds on a variety of issues without needing so many (and increasingly) government rules and regulations, laws and draconian penalties, most of which are 'justified' by 'research shows…'.
    It's called common sense and survival instinct, hopefully mixed with the laudable attribute of empathy. If we need to be guided so much by all this control, it would tend to suggest that we humans are stupid, untrustworthy and incapable. I have more faith in humanity than that.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    No, she doesn't, she has her own home.

Quite right Clithers and she treats her offspring to a fine education to boot
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. The guy who ran the other spoof Twitter account (@Radiohalfwit) gave up recently as he said Mr Allen was beyond parody.

He's still around but his tweets have become more general.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane Abbott lives in a council house too, doesn't she?

Bob Crow had a council house, as J H-B never failed to remind him!
    Forum Member
    In fact, you having your own opinion rather argues this for me. In other words, by far the majority of people are perfectly capable of making up their own minds on a variety of issues without needing so many (and increasingly) government rules and regulations, laws and draconian penalties, most of which are 'justified' by 'research shows…'.

In many ways I'd agree with you, but not on the issue of driving whilst using a phone. It's not just your own life you're putting at risk. I'd liken it to passive smoking - I'm delighted that there's a law stopping people smoking in public places. Research shows it causes cancer... and it's absolutely justifiable evidence! You simply cannot rely on humans to always do the right thing by others, so you need rules.
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No worries, makeba. I'm not trying to 'win you (or anyone else) round'.
    Merely expressing my opinion and point of view.
    It's called common sense and survival instinct, hopefully mixed with the laudable attribute of empathy. If we need to be guided so much by all this control, it would tend to suggest that we humans are stupid, untrustworthy and incapable. I have more faith in humanity than that.

I'd rather take consistent scientifically-backed research against your ludicrous ill informed 'opinion', especially when it concerns road safety. You cite common sense but it seems to me that this is something you totally lack. Even if you were stupid enough to discount any form of research, it's obvious in the real world that talking on hands-free phones in cars is a different and more distracting experience than talking to someone in the passenger seat.

You sound like a classic paranoid conspiracy theorist to me.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Big fish small pond syndrome.

His laughable attempts to break into TV by slouching in a chair, furrowing his brow and
    s p e a k I n g v e r y s l o w l y a n d d e l i b e r a t e l y are failing miserably. He probably thought that if NN didn't bite, the exposure would see him ensconced in some other current affairs vehicle but no. The problem? People don't like him, or respect him, or warm to him in any way. A sweaty little cold fish with odd views and a massive ego.

The problem that James O'Brien has is that he appeals to the BBC/Guardian crew who run NewsNight. Why is that a problem? Well they are the same crew who have relentlessly driven its audience lower and lower. By the time viewers cotton onto Brian's true nature of course the audience will shrink again and even the BBC will have to scrap the program.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Crow had a council house, as J H-B never failed to remind him!

Not exactly a Council House Bob Crow had a Housing Association property.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly a Council House Bob Crow had a Housing Association property.:)

I can't get all pedantic about it because I'm just going by what I've heard and read, but I've never seen it referred to as anything other than a council house, and he never objected to the term.

Morning all. :)
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Poor old Vallen getting all uptight about those poor mentally ill or sick people starting up false Twitter accounts in other people's names. Of course they're all abnormal and lonely sick people with nothing else better to do.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. A man, who daily, apparently, takes all his inspiration from the daily rags and gossip columns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Poor old Vallen getting all uptight about those poor mentally ill or sick people starting up false Twitter accounts in other people's names. Of course they're all abnormal and lonely sick people with nothing else better to do.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. A man, who daily, apparently, takes all his inspiration from the daily rags and gossip columns.

Haha! He now has three doppelgangers on Twitter. He should be flattered that people have gone to the trouble. The latest one hasn't got anything original to offer. They'll all run out of material soon.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather take consistent scientifically-backed research against your ludicrous ill informed 'opinion', especially when it concerns road safety. You cite common sense but it seems to me that this is something you totally lack. Even if you were stupid enough to discount any form of research, it's obvious in the real world that talking on hands-free phones in cars is a different and more distracting experience than talking to someone in the passenger seat.

You sound like a classic paranoid conspiracy theorist to me.

The facts and statistics show a very different story:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/briefing-papers/SN02198/reported-road-accident-statistics
    I recommend checking the graphs on the pdf. document for historical comparisons.
    The UK has always compared very favourably indeed both to European and other countries when it comes to road traffic accidents, and as you'll see from the above the numbers have consistently reduced over the years since the 1930's per miles driven.
    In terms of 'real world' experience, by the way, I have driven in many, many countries all over the world and lived in quite a number as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    J.O.B. on again about footballers and underage sex............YAWN!!!!!!! Just changed the channel.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J.O.B. on again about footballers and underage sex............YAWN!!!!!!! Just changed the channel.

The issue of phone-in topic is a lot more than that. I know JOB gets a rough ride on here, but at least be more accurate of the things you accuse him of boring you over with.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was wondering if the caller claiming Johnson was guilty was a Muslim.

And he is. :D What a dozy paranoid berk!
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    I was wondering if the caller claiming Johnson was guilty was a Muslim.

And he is. :D What a dozy paranoid berk!

That caller was a class idiot. Being a Muslim has little to do with it, but there are people from all walks of life who think as he does - a person is arrested and thus they must be guilty. And these are the same kinds of people who will sit in a jury and preside over our guilt or innocence. Scary.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I know JOB gets a rough ride on here.

I would say the forum is split on JOB.
    The doubters are free to phone him. I can almost guarantee they will get plenty of time on air.
    Forum Member
    Oops - JOB said his mum worked in a 'frock shop', but I heard 'frog shop'... All sorts of images going through my mind when he talked about people shoplifting a couple of frogs! :blush:
  • Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Events in Oxfordshire with grooming gangs will no doubt have Brian "discombobulated" but I would imagine he will blame UKIP and "right wing rhetoric". What a pompous and smug old hypocrite he is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James O'Brien ‏@mrjamesob 20 hrs20 hours ago

Not sure we really need to 'make it easier' for young people to own a home. Might be better to make it harder for old people to own several.

Brian is a former buy-to-let landlord. Does his hypocrisy know no bounds?
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More 'research shows'. How about people having their own experiences and forming their own opinions?
    How many fatal (or any) accidents have you actually witnessed as a result of anyone talking hands-free whilst driving?

one of the problems with LBC and why I listen to so little of it now, is it is endless empirical evidence of people who know little more of the world around them than what happens in their minute (largely irrelevant) life environment - important to them, and totally valid but likely to be very much an extreme or not reflective... and they assume that "scales up" - then when that argument is flattened out by more people ringing in with the little they know a consensus is formed and the next presenter comes on and starts the whole process again with the same subject from the start with the numpties. .

sorry, but what "people know themselves" know is not good...
    ask people and most think there always has been a "common law wife" in split ups where people were not legally joined... or that its a 50/50 cut etc... most people thought it and they are all wrong.

i prefer to have a "fund of funds" with both empirical personal knowledge and a wide source of research... but i will happily say research is far from perfect... today 4 (in one paper, 5 in another) cups of coffee is good at preventing heart problems... yesterday it was another conclusion from another report... it however also helps not relying on the media edit of a report for sensational headline draw reasons and having a more professional news & data feed or two...

you could say the accidents at home you would like to compare against are often caused because people "take their eye" off what they are doing (actually i would bet they are drink or drug etc influenced a lot of the time) - but it would be logical to expect as driving "normalises" talking on a phone, that will become equally "mind off the game" and thus perhaps some of the push is that it is a growing problem that if allowed to continue, then it will be as high a rate... that is of course all personal guessing and not back up with anything other than a supportable version of common sense.. common sense of course being tongue in cheek when i started by pointing out the "common view" is often wrong :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    I would say the forum is split on JOB.
    The doubters are free to phone him. I can almost guarantee they will get plenty of time on air.

You really think so, Landis? Anyone who disagree's with the odious Brian is usually cut off after he has been rude to them (even when he is in the wrong).
This discussion has been closed.