Options

Streaming issues on the PS4

Normally I'd have posted in the gaming section, but this is completely unrelated to gaming; it's merely the console used for the service here. Typically when I watch shows I'll steam them through the PS4. Up until this week, I've never had any trouble doing so, though this week, for some reason, regardless of source, I find myself constantly needing to hit the play button on the video screen which then buffers for a couple of seconds and then continues.

For an episode of 45minutes, I'm probably doing this 20-25 times, and I can't work out why. I've checked nobody else is using my internet, that appears to be okay. I haven't changed any other components or services or anything. Anyone have any theories?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is your PS4 connected to your router? By ethernet cable or WiFi? If WiFi it might be an interference issue, depending on where the PS4 is in relation to the router. For example if the two devices are in different rooms then always possible a neighbour has stoked up a WiFi network on the same or close channel to yours and is causing interference that wasn't previously there.

Also if you can do a speed test on your broadband connection. Preferably use a computer on a wired connection to eliminate any WiFi issue. Use something like speedtest.net at different times of day to see if the connection varies at all at different times. You could then try a few tests using WiFi next to the PS4 to compare to the wired tests which could show up any issues with WiFi interference.

If you use something like a powerline adapter to connect your PS4 to the router over the mains then it could be something plugged into the mains causing interference slowing down the powerline adapters. Again comparing speed tests done on a direct link to the router and the powerline adapters could reveal that.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's your monthly bandwidth usage limit? Any chance you've gone over that or is your ISP traffic shaping now for some reason?
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    How is your PS4 connected to your router? By ethernet cable or WiFi? If WiFi it might be an interference issue, depending on where the PS4 is in relation to the router. For example if the two devices are in different rooms then always possible a neighbour has stoked up a WiFi network on the same or close channel to yours and is causing interference that wasn't previously there.
    The console is connected via Wifi; both the console and router are in the same room, neither have been moved or altered etc. It's possible a neighbour has set up another wifi system, but not on the other side of a wall; I live in a detached flat by myself. My walls are my own.
    Also if you can do a speed test on your broadband connection. Preferably use a computer on a wired connection to eliminate any WiFi issue. Use something like speedtest.net at different times of day to see if the connection varies at all at different times. You could then try a few tests using WiFi next to the PS4 to compare to the wired tests which could show up any issues with WiFi interference.
    I did a speedtest via my PS4 yesterday, and it gave me the speeds (8mbps d/s, 500(ish)kbps u/s).
    mred2000 wrote: »
    What's your monthly bandwidth usage limit? Any chance you've gone over that or is your ISP traffic shaping now for some reason?
    I so say have unlimited, but even then, I'm not using my console for steaming any more now than I have been in the last twelve months, and (as far as I'm aware at least) there's no contractual change.

Gaming remains unaffected; it's just streaming that seems to be the issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    The console is connected via Wifi; both the console and router are in the same room, neither have been moved or altered etc. It's possible a neighbour has set up another wifi system, but not on the other side of a wall; I live in a detached flat by myself. My walls are my own.
    It was one possibility. On my laptop in my flat I can see somewhere in the region of 20 WiFi networks! :o:) Plenty of scope for interference there! And not all of those are from the block I'm in but from surrounding blocks as well. Surprising how far WiFi can get out really.
    I did a speedtest via my PS4 yesterday, and it gave me the speeds (8mbps d/s, 500(ish)kbps u/s).
    I hope you meant to type 8Mbps, if you really are getting 8mbps then I'm amazed you can even use the thing! :) But 8Mb should be OK for streaming SD and HD video. Might need a bit more for 4k video. Many services vary the bitrate to compensate to some extent for the connection speed.

If the PS4 and router are in the same room then try an ethernet cable just to be absolutely sure it's not a WiFi issue. Unless there is some truly compelling reason why WiFi must be used a bit of wire is often a superior connection anyway. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was one possibility. On my laptop in my flat I can see somewhere in the region of 20 WiFi networks! :o:) Plenty of scope for interference there! And not all of those are from the block I'm in but from surrounding blocks as well. Surprising how far WiFi can get out really.
    There are other networks in range. If I'm at home and search for other networks via my PS4, phone or laptop, I can see others. I just meant there aren't (or shouldn't) be any directly interfering with my mains supply on opposite side of walls etc.
    I hope you meant to type 8Mbps, if you really are getting 8mbps then I'm amazed you can even use the thing! :) But 8Mb should be OK for streaming SD and HD video. Might need a bit more for 4k video. Many services vary the bitrate to compensate to some extent for the connection speed.
    Hah, yeah, Mbps, sorry. The videos aren't 4k HD videos. Just standard stuff from Netflix, iPlayer or other such sources.
    If the PS4 and router are in the same room then try an ethernet cable just to be absolutely sure it's not a WiFi issue. Unless there is some truly compelling reason why WiFi must be used a bit of wire is often a superior connection anyway.
    I shall. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other Wifi networks could affect the Wifi signal, though. Might be worth changing your Wifi channel on the router to see if that helps. It can't hurt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are other networks in range. If I'm at home and search for other networks via my PS4, phone or laptop, I can see others. I just meant there aren't (or shouldn't) be any directly interfering with my mains supply on opposite side of walls etc.

In theory only three WiFi networks can co-exist on the band without causing mutual interference with each other. So therefore if there are any more than 3 networks visible then they are almost certain to overlap each other. And if they overlap with your network they can cause interference and degrade the performance of your network, As indeed can your network interfere with your neighbours.

Basically if you can see it the network can be a potential cause of interference. Doesn't matter where it is coming from.

And not sure what relevance the mains supply has to WiFi. A WiFi network is very unlikely to interfere with the mains. The reference to mains I made above was with regard to Powerline adapters which are susceptible to mains interference due to the way they work. But not relevant to your set-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In theory only three WiFi networks can co-exist on the band without causing mutual interference with each other. So therefore if there are any more than 3 networks visible then they are almost certain to overlap each other. And if they overlap with your network they can cause interference and degrade the performance of your network, As indeed can your network interfere with your neighbours.

Basically if you can see it the network can be a potential cause of interference. Doesn't matter where it is coming from.
    Presumably, using this logic, most homes in the UK suffer from this interference?

My problem hasn't existed prior to this week, that's why I'm baffled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably, using this logic, most homes in the UK suffer from this interference?

My problem hasn't existed prior to this week, that's why I'm baffled.

As I posted anywhere where more than three networks are mutually within range then there is potential for interference. The effect of the interference depends on the relative signal strength of your and the competing networks to some extent.

If you can find a copy of inSSIDer 3 (the last free version) and install it on your laptop it will show you what the WiFi environment is like in your area. It can also be used to show if there is a clear bit of spectrum to move your network onto to minimise the interference.

It is always possible that someone nearby has changed their network set-up and is now causing more interference to your network. Though by the same token in theory your network could be interfering with their network. An app like inSSIDer will show if that is the case.

If your router and PS4 both support it using the 5GHz band can often solve problems. It tends to be a bit clearer. Also 5GHz travels less distance and is blocked more by walls and floors so you tend to see fewer networks competing for space.

Though a cable will totally eliminate WiFi issues of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably, using this logic, most homes in the UK suffer from this interference?.

Yeah, but depending on what they're doing, most users either don't realise it's happening or suffer in silence.

If your channel is already crowded then it might've only needed one extra connection this week to tip it over the edge. It's easy to discount this as an issue, though: simply connect to your router and change the wifi channel. Guidance aplenty:
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel

However, if you are so close to the router then, as chrisjr, just use a cable - cabled connections are much better for gaming, anyway.
    If you can find a copy of inSSIDer 3 (the last free version) and install it on your laptop..

I started using Wifi Analyzer on my phone the last time I wanted to check the local signal situation, it does a good job but I'm not sure if it's just for Android:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    However, if you are so close to the router then, as chrisjr, just use a cable - cabled connections are much better for gaming, anyway.
    This is not true of Black Ops 3 MP. I still get owned.

Maybe I'm just not that good! :blush:

Either way, I'll try a cable first, see if that eliminates the problem, otherwise I'll follow the suggestions here; thanks to both of you for your replies. :)