One Born Every Minute Series 4

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Man they stick those forceps inside of you??!!! :eek:

Yep, one of the reasons I'm in no hurry to repeat the experience - amongst many others!

The Dad was so annoying in that couple but then he started talking about his family, losing his Mum and staying strong for his girlfriend and he won me over. I'd still be telling him to shut up every 10 minutes if I had to spend any time with him mind!
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffered this programme last night, my OH has a remarkable habit of putting this on when I'm just about to walk in the door. No end of times have I walked into see a babies head being forced out of someone else's fufu.

As a non OBEM fan I found it a long and cliche driven programme. All the families were sickeningly sweet and lovely. I did take a slight issue with the young lad saying anybody should be allowed to have a child whenever they like irrespective of their circumstances. That plays to the benefit bashers as someone giving a green light to breed at the expense of everyone else. Nice bloke but completely naive and misguided.

I can see why this show appeals to some, but I couldn't wait to get it off the tv!!
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I've never had a baby so excuse the ignorance but the blonde woman said she will be bleeding vaginally for 6 weeks - I thought you only bled if you had a natural vaginal birth? She had a C Section? Could someone clarify please? Thanks :)

As someone who has experienced both types of birth, I can tell you that yes, indeed you do bleed for the same length of time after a C section as you do after a vaginal delivery, although not quite as heavy. I remember asking this very question at an ante natal class when expecting my first and was told "of course you do" but I honestly didn't know!
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    As someone who has experienced both types of birth, I can tell you that yes, indeed you do bleed for the same length of time after a C section as you do after a vaginal delivery, although not quite as heavy. I remember asking this very question at an ante natal class when expecting my first and was told "of course you do" but I honestly didn't know!

I really didn't know that! Thank you for clarifying :)
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As far as I understand it (but I'm only a mum, not a medical person or anything - just digging into my memory of something I'm sure I heard once) the bleeding is caused by the uterus contracting/changes inside it as the mother returns to normal after the baby has been born. How the baby exits the uterus is irrelevant because those changes/the contracting of it have to happen either way. A c-section doesn't save you anything in that respect! The baby comes out, the uterus contracts/goes back to normal hence the mother bleeds (to varying degrees - I think breastfeeding also lessens/minimises the blood loss; I certainly didn't lose much blood after having both mine vaginally and breastfeeding them).

Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can add some more accurate observations?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I understand it (but I'm only a mum, not a medical person or anything - just digging into my memory of something I'm sure I heard once) the bleeding is caused by the uterus contracting/changes inside it as the mother returns to normal after the baby has been born. How the baby exits the uterus is irrelevant because those changes/the contracting of it have to happen either way. A c-section doesn't save you anything in that respect! The baby comes out, the uterus contracts/goes back to normal hence the mother bleeds (to varying degrees - I think breastfeeding also lessens/minimises the blood loss; I certainly didn't lose much blood after having both mine vaginally and breastfeeding them).

Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can add some more accurate observations?

Yes, that's exactly how I remember it being explained too, I should have put this in my answer to fizzle, but, like you, I'm just a mam and didn't feel confident enough posting medical stuff! But this is pretty much how I understand it :)
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a baby so excuse the ignorance but the blonde woman said she will be bleeding vaginally for 6 weeks - I thought you only bled if you had a natural vaginal birth? She had a C Section? Could someone clarify please? Thanks :)

Yeah I had a C section and bled myself virtually dry for 6 weeks. No one told me that was going to happen and I thought it was something wrong with me!
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bled very heavily after a C section for about five or six weeks. I became anaemic because of it.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member

That makes sense. Thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I couldn't understand about the young couple was that the man seemed so gay and yet was married. He was lovely though and obviously very caring and loved his wife so much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    What I couldn't understand about the young couple was that the man seemed so gay and yet was married. He was lovely though and obviously very caring and loved his wife so much.

Do you mean the couple from this week, who had a little boy called Jake or the couple from last week (the dad to be was a hairdresser)?
  • Options
    MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bled very heavily after a C section for about five or six weeks. I became anaemic because of it.

When the placenta is separated it leaves a raw wound - naturally - and is the main source of the blood loss for several weeks. If youve seen the size the placenta you can imagine the size of the wound it leaves. Sometimes the uterus does not contract enough and the bloodloss is heavier - the contracting squuezes the blood vessels closed so the stronger the contractions post-birth the better. With each of my five babies I did not contract after the delivery of the placenta so needed an IV drip of oxytocin. In bygone days women bled to death because of 'floppy uterus' syndrome - those uncomfortable cramps are a pain but important after the birth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the placenta is separated it leaves a raw wound - naturally - and is the main source of the blood loss for several weeks. If youve seen the size the placenta you can imagine the size of the wound it leaves. Sometimes the uterus does not contract enough and the bloodloss is heavier - the contracting squuezes the blood vessels closed so the stronger the contractions post-birth the better. With each of my five babies I did not contract after the delivery of the placenta so needed an IV drip of oxytocin. In bygone days women bled to death because of 'floppy uterus' syndrome - those uncomfortable cramps are a pain but important after the birth.

I know I was told that my plancenta was failing and not nourishing the baby, so I don't know if that had anything to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blondie_81 wrote: »
    Do you mean the couple from this week, who had a little boy called Jake or the couple from last week (the dad to be was a hairdresser)?

I meant the one who had a little boy called Jake.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the thought of some women eating their placenta's feel sick now....
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL! This reminds me of the joke about the 3 men in the pub discussing their kids and where they got their names, and after revealing that their respctive sons were called George, Andrew and David because they happened to be born on the feast day of the saint with the same name, an Irish man who was eaves dropping on the conversation pipes up "My God, just wait until I go home and tell Pancake about this!" :D:D

Sorry to go off topic, but it made me laugh! And just imagine if her preferred drink was Scrumpy! :D

Bit late catching up with the thread this week (half term last week = no tv time!) but just wanted to add that my daughter went to school with. "Scrumpy Jack" Yup, that's his actual legal name.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not following the series - but I am impressed when they use a Chic-written Diana Ross track on the trailer...
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bumpity bump. hope it's a good one tonight.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    bumpity bump. hope it's a good one tonight.

Hope so too!

Not a lot of peeps around here lately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeez! That guy is only 19! He looks like he's approaching 30!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, that chocolate cake looks lush!
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed these midwives aren't the size of a house with all the cake they have. I bet they get loads of sweets given to them by patients.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was some great cake - I want some!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dezire wrote: »
    jeez! That guy is only 19! He looks like he's approaching 30!

They both look older than 19!!
  • Options
    granny smithgranny smith Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish she'd pull her t-shirt down :D