Xbox 360 Emulation on Xbox One

jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/457603/microsoft-is-thinking-about-xbox-360-emulation-on-the-xbox-one/

If this comes to pass I may get the XB1 in future.

Would love to see the GOW series running on it.

Comments

• ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 crap consoles for the price of one*.....not bad ;-)

seriously though. having access to xbox 360 games could help sell more XB1's. I'd consider it myself m8.

*kidding* before the xbox fans start going off on one
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 crap consoles for the price of one*.....not bad ;-)

seriously though. having access to xbox 360 games could help sell more XB1's. I'd consider it myself m8.

*kidding* before the xbox fans start going off on one

Think it would encourage them to upgrade certainly!!!

Btw you alright mate?
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    Think it would encourage them to upgrade certainly!!!

Btw you alright mate?

Soz Yeah all good here thanks m8. Just haven't managed to catch u on Steam for a chat. Hope all is good with u and urs :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea but should have just included backwards compatabilty from the start. Wonder how many more console they would have sold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soz Yeah all good here thanks m8. Just haven't managed to catch u on Steam for a chat. Hope all is good with u and urs :)

Yeah all good. Not really been on steam a heck of a lot.

Just been flitting between different machines tbh. PS3, Ps Vita and some PC.

Hope all is well on your side?

Won't be around much this week as I'm office based (change of scenery!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Good idea but should have just included backwards compatabilty from the start. Wonder how many more console they would have sold.

They certainly WOULD have sold a few more units from 360 owners hesitating about the upgrade!!!
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I really don't think the Xbox One is powerful enough to do this. PPC to X86 is no easy task and the hardware is quite different, on top of this the 360 was pushed to the max with all manner of complex trickery used to get the most out of it. For a purely software based emulator I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere close to perfect and in that case I'd rather just hang on to the 360.

The X86 original Xbox software would be a lot easier though and could run some real nice graphical enhancements on top, similar to what Sony are planning with PS1/2 software,
  • Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I'm not really expecting 360 BC, but it would be cool to get some original Xbox emulation.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely they can rewrite the games for Xbox One and anybody who bought them just downloads them to XB1? Can't be that hard can it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ONE of the reasons I was happy to get a 360 was because I could run my old Xbox games. I'm amazed that emulation wasn't built into the Xbox One from the start.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    ONE of the reasons I was happy to get a 360 was because I could run my old Xbox games. I'm amazed that emulation wasn't built into the Xbox One from the start.

It would most likely have increased take up of the new console too. I never played any old Xbox games on my 360 I'm sure later ones phased out support for them or you required xbox live or something.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely they can rewrite the games for Xbox One and anybody who bought them just downloads them to XB1? Can't be that hard can it?

No reason they can't do X1 remakes of 360 games - already had it with some, and had similar with the PS3/PS4.

But there is no way on Earth they would ever be given away for free to people who had bought the last gen version...
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Roooty wrote: »

I always found the game emulation on the 360 to be a pain in that allot of games didn't work at all and quite a few of them that did had glitches that annoyed me so I just kept my Xbox.
    If they can get the emulation right then I would like to see most/all 360 games playing on the X1 without issue if not it might be better to not have it at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I always found the game emulation on the 360 to be a pain in that allot of games didn't work at all and quite a few of them that did had glitches that annoyed me so I just kept my Xbox.
    If they can get the emulation right then I would like to see most/all 360 games playing on the X1 without issue if not it might be better to not have it at all.

You are right of course, I think it was only around 200 titles that had the necessary software patch to be emulated. But I guess the thing is that the games >>I<< wanted to keep and play again were emulated on the 360, so for me it was a nice bonus.

I'd like to think that MS with the ability to run three OSes at once could facilitate a download of a complete 360 emulator, thus avoiding the need for 360 games to be individually prepared to run on the Xbox One?