Broadchurch - Series 2

Comments

• HildasMurielHildasMuriel Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Mollyana wrote: »
    It is not at all implausible to have opposing counsel and the judge to be all females. In the US it is fairly common.
    And yet in the UK the chances of all 3 being female AND 2 being BME are TINY

http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/about-the-bar/facts-and-figures/statistics/
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did defence know they had a bonk?
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And yet in the UK the chances of all 3 being female AND 2 being BME are TINY

http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/about-the-bar/facts-and-figures/statistics/

So maybe they did write series 2 for an American audience where they would think this was normal, and wouldnt have a clue about UK Law so wouldnt mind inaccuracies etc.
    Gracepoint failed miserably over there so who knows.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    How did defence know they had a bonk?

I do not believe they did. I think they WERE talking for two hours. Ellie was devastated by the whole thing, she was shattered so I can understand she had to talk to her work colleague to find out if she had missed anything during the investigation.

I am a bit fed up with the Daily Mail's constant criticism of the second series. I am enjoying it tremendously and was so excited it was back on the telly. There is so much rubbish and reality shows today, it is lovely to have a really good programme to look forward to. Personally I do not care if the judge is wearing a barrister wig!!! I have never been into a court in my life!! I just wish David would speak more clearly as Hardy as I find his mumbling rather irritating in his strong Scottish accent!! Drives me up the wall!!!
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Why would she not go to court? She'd only had a baby! Don't most women give birth and go home within a couple of hours these days? The only thing that made me wonder was why she'd need painkillers.

If someone murdered my child your damn right I'd be in that court room, no matter what!

As to the too big baby. When do they very use actual newborns? That baby did not seem bigger than the others we're supposed to believe are brand new.

What kind of mother ( in real life I mean!) would offer her new born to appear in a TV series!! Barking mad. I thought the fact that the Mum was in Court was a bit silly. I got the impression the baby had only been born a few days ago and yet she was in Court!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not believe they did. I think they WERE talking for two hours. Ellie was devastated by the whole thing, she was shattered so I can understand she had to talk to her work colleague to find out if she had missed anything during the investigation.

I am a bit fed up with the Daily Mail's constant criticism of the second series. I am enjoying it tremendously and was so excited it was back on the telly. There is so much rubbish and reality shows today, it is lovely to have a really good programme to look forward to. Personally I do not care if the judge is wearing a barrister wig!!! I have never been into a court in my life!! I just wish David would speak more clearly as Hardy as I find his mumbling rather irritating in his strong Scottish accent!! Drives me up the wall!!!

But didnt we see them bonking?
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    What kind of mother ( in real life I mean!) would offer her new born to appear in a TV series!! Barking mad.
    I think lots of mums who'd want to show the episode with as their child grew up.
  • BubblegumsBubblegums Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    PabloJ wrote: »
    What on EARTH is up with Marianne Jean-Baptiste's diction?! :confused:
    "Whhhaat were yoooou and DI Haaaarrrrdy dooooooiing in his hotel room, aalooone for twooooooooo hoouurs?"

And why does Charlotte Rampling - formidable legend of law - just sit there like a lobotomy patient?
    If her nemesis was coming up with brilliant conceits and masterful conspiracies to beguile the jury and stump the prosecution, that would be one thing. But it's just one preposterous conjecture after the next! Yet all Rampling can do is shrug as if to say, "Dammit! She's got me there. The student outwits the teacher! I taught her too well."
    The Latimers begged her to take on their case. Now they're probably thinking Mr Blobby would do a better job.

And giving these two side-stories doesn't make them any more 'interesting' or 'human':
    Charlotte Rampling has a very old mum...
    Don't care.
    Marianne Jean-Baptiste has a son in prison...
    Don't care.

Then there's the sleaze factor: As if last week's gratuitously lingering cleavage shot wasn't uncomfortable enough, this week we got to see Ellie whisper "Say you love me" to the drunk man she just met, while he groans in orgasm on top of her. :(
    Makes viewing with your family a bit awkward.

I'm really hoping episode 4 is where this starts to get good but I'm not holding out much hope...

Very good post. Both barristers extremely annoying. :D
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Ummm.... I think you must have imagined that!
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No we didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Ummm.... I think you must have imagined that!

No, after the barrister crashes her car (about 30 mins in) we see them bonking with her looking disinterested & him puffing like a chimney.
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry haven't read the whole thread, just the last 4 pages - but what was that ridiculous scene in a field with DI Hardy apologising to Lee for false imprisonment? A police officer came and collected him from a court room saying allegations have been made against you - but then all that happened was they met up in a field and he said sorry.

Am I missing something or was that completely needless and unbelievable?
  • UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nest wrote: »
    Sorry haven't read the whole thread, just the last 4 pages - but what was that ridiculous scene in a field with DI Hardy apologising to Lee for false imprisonment? A police officer came and collected him from a court room saying allegations have been made against you - but then all that happened was they met up in a field and he said sorry.

I agree - where was the proof? But you could say the whole series 2 is needless and unbelievable.............
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    I agree - where was the proof? But you could say the whole series 2 is needless and unbelievable.............

ha ha! - I'm trying not to be too cynical and just enjoy it but certain things are just too much ...
  • Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, after the barrister crashes her car (about 30 mins in) we see them bonking with her looking disinterested & him puffing like a chimney.

Did you pay attention when you were watching?

That was Ellie and the stranger she picked up in the pub.
  • andybrizandybriz Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    The two men are the Gillespie brothers - one is the father of the murdered Pippa Gillespie and the other is his brother.

I doubt they can be the two men that Claire and Ellie picked up, as surely Claire would recognise her next door neighbour
    Unless of course Claire is playing some kind of weird game - but I am inclined to doubt that.

I don't know. Claire is seeming dodgier by the minute. Maybe they were having an affair?
  • Soapster1Soapster1 Posts: 1,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me trivial, but I'd swear that the cushion on the sofa where the woman was lying with the new baby, was the exact same cushion that was in Ellie's house where they tried to do the secret filming.
    Now here's my big theory (I didn't see Series 1 mind):
    The accused man, Ellie's husband, and the murdered boy's Dad are secretly gay and were having an affair. They were writing the emails to each other pretending it was the kid and a friend so's not to arouse suspicion. The boy discovered this and the Dad ended up killing him.
    I know there will be loads of red herrings. Like we'll see someone with an evil look on their faces digging what we think is a grave, and it'll turn out to be a vegetable patch.
    Well they are going to come up with something wild like that, when they have had to cobble an entire series from the embers of another story.
    And regarding the police interview in the field, what happened to ringing someone and asking them to come in for a chat. They drove out to wherever he was working and walked around a few fields until they found him, to say, 'he says you hit him, is that true. Now say you are sorry like good boys and we'll say no more about it'.
  • Soapster1Soapster1 Posts: 1,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of mother ( in real life I mean!) would offer her new born to appear in a TV series!! Barking mad. !

You'd bring your newborn around to a film set for a couple of hours if the money was good enough. That baby was about 4 weeks. They probably get 100 quid or so.
    If anyone's interested here's the pay rates for Extras I found just now:
    you get an extra 11 quid if you need to have a short haircut!
    http://www.castingcollective.co.uk/all-about-us/rates/
  • andybrizandybriz Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Not sure if posting pictures is allowed here or even possible but I took some screen grabs of the guys Claire and Ellie went back with and the Gillespie brothers. I think it could be them. Claire obviously knows them and is up to something. Even if it is not them, why show the photo of the brothers in the same episode when they look so alike? If it was two random guys in the bar, why didn't they cast guys that looked nothing like the brothers?

x9myzTY.jpg

I really hope i'm onto something now I've come this far LOL :D
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mollyana wrote: »
    It is not at all implausible to have opposing counsel and the judge to be all females. In the US it is fairly common.

In the Us perhaps, but not the UK where law - especially QCs and judges are still predominately white and male. It is possible to get an ethnically diverse all female trio in the UK, but statistically very unlikely. Hence Implausible.

But as I said, I was happy to let that one go. Implausible I can cope with. To a point.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andybriz wrote: »
    Not sure if posting pictures is allowed here or even possible but I took some screen grabs of the guys Claire and Ellie went back with and the Gillespie brothers. I think it could be them. Claire obviously knows them and is up to something. Even if it is not them, why show the photo of the brothers in the same episode when they look so alike? If it was two random guys in the bar, why didn't they cast guys that looked nothing like the brothers?

x9myzTY.jpg

I really hope i'm onto something now I've come this far LOL :D

The one on the right of the photo is Shaun Dooley

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0233215/

Neither of the two at the bar were the lovely Shaun. I'd have noticed ;-)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Having watched the latest episode with a growing sense of disbelief I feel sure the last episode will reveal that Martians landed in Broadchurch and replaced several of the locals before experimenting on and killing the boy - you heard it here first.

Don't worry, with Torchwood & the Doctor on the case they will easily be defeated. Unfortunately Rory will die during the final battle
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nest wrote: »

This isn't about Hardy acting as a rational cop adhering strictly to procedure. This is about him going rogue and getting involved in the mindgames of a manipulative potential killer. He doesn't want to do this by the book, he has a highly personal involvement due to his wife and his damaged reputation. Ashworth wasn't interested in getting him arrested either, he just wanted to get his attention and put him in his power.

As for the cop who brought hardy to the meeting, probably the last thing he wants is an accusation of police brutality given how the trial is going.

No one in that scene had a vested interest in Hardy getting arrested.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel like I'm one of the only people who's enjoying this just as much as the first series? My only real issue is that everyone else seems to have been able to sit in court BEFORE giving evidence, but this episode they made Ellie wait outside till she was called? Which doesn't add up with the fact they allowed her to sit in court previously?

I think Joe did do it - the flashback in series oen of him killing Danny doesn't make sense otherwise - but I think there is something else that was going on (possibly still is) which we will find out. That scene with Mark playing video games with Tom has to be relevant to something.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    JT Effect wrote: »
    Did Ellie just say there that her youngest son was called Bertie? I thought the baby was called Fred? :confused:

Fatima wrote: »
    Why did Ellie say her baby was called Bertie? When earlier she told someone Freddie was staying at the child minders,

Nobody responded to me (post 993), so I just assumed I was hearing and seeing things (I had the subtitles on and 'Bertie' came up when she said his name) - so I'm glad you heard that too.

Surely the writers wouldn't have made such a basic mistake as getting one of the main character's child's name wrong?