The BBC is a national disgrace.

1789101113»

Comments

• AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    .... u would expect the bbc truss to support its own staff ........

Actually, it is meant to watch over the BBC to ensure it is in keeping with its, Royal Charter, so it is not there to support the BBC.

They're not "its' own" staff anyway - the BBC Trust is an organisation separate from the BBC.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    They're not "its' own" staff anyway - the BBC Trust is an organisation separate from the BBC.

It's part of the BBC, but operates independantly from BBC management. The members of the trust are all paid by the BBC for their roles.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    It's part of the BBC, but operates independantly from BBC management. The members of the trust are all paid by the BBC for their roles.

The Trust is the bbc ...
    And btw there are vacancies ..... One replacing Mrs cellan Jones and two others
    http://publicappointments.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/appointment/vice-chair-2-trustees/

The trust may not be perfect but Tony hall and Chris paten sorted out much if the gap and overlap .... ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »

Surely being paid by the BBC reduces their independence?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »

Not unless the BBC can hire & fire them (which they cannot).
    Forum Member
    dilbert cartoon strip explains it quite well.

Care to share?
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Their salary may come out of the licence fee, but the Trust members are not selected by the BBC. Their role is to set targets and objectives for BBC managers and then hold them to account. Their directives are often set as a result of public consultations.

Part of the Trust's role is also to ensure the BBC is protected from Government interference.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    .... u would expect the bbc truss to support its own staff ........
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Actually, it is meant to watch over the BBC...

Someone obviously didn't get the joke. I did ;)
  • hdtvfan20hdtvfan20 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I really hate the BBC now. Not just because of license fee as most countries don't have it.
    Forum Member
    hdtvfan20 wrote: »
    I really hate the BBC now. Not just because of license fee as most countries don't have it.

Care to explain why?
    Forum Member
    hdtvfan20 wrote: »
    Not sure if this list counts as "most" countries but it's certainly a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    A lot of BBC programmes are absolute rubbish, but the same can be said of every other broadcaster, but at least the BBC covers events like The Olympics well, some of their dramas are excellent and BBC Radio is far better than the commercial variety.

BBC radio isn't all bad, but my god radio 5 live is full of self loathing, guardian reading types.
    It really is victim radio, everyone they interview is self pitying.
    Rdaio 4 "comedians" we all know they come from one angle only.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    onecitizen
    BBC radio isn't all bad, but my god radio 5 live is full of self loathing, guardian reading types.

:D

I'll bare that in mind whilst listening to the Holocaust survivors today.

What angle is that?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i note that forgotten channel The Word - supposedly a commercial competitor to bbc r4, actually audio books played on air - seems to have resurfaced in a r.n.i.b. Verwion .......
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    this problem ws recently discussed on r4 Feedback. Basically, beeb cant find any right wing commedians because there aren't any !
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    a quick way of closing most itv channels ......

8 years ago my husband decided to invest in a satellite dish. Best thing he ever bought! We set the dish in the direction of the satellite of choice and then proceed to identify the channels we want to watch. We have only chosen the free channels but it gives us access to proper news channels that are mostly less biased than ours in the UK and includes WORLD news. My only gripe is why do I still have to pay for a tv licence when I do not watch the BBC + all their peripheral channels?
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lin4237 wrote: »
    8 years ago my husband decided to invest in a satellite dish. Best thing he ever bought! We set the dish in the direction of the satellite of choice and then proceed to identify the channels we want to watch. We have only chosen the free channels but it gives us access to proper news channels that are mostly less biased than ours in the UK and includes WORLD news. My only gripe is why do I still have to pay for a tv licence when I do not watch the BBC + all their peripheral channels?

In your own opinion.

I travel a lot and looking at the TV new around the world I say thank god we have the BBC, now there not perfect but miles better than anything else.
    Forum Member
    i note that forgotten channel The Word - supposedly a commercial competitor to bbc r4, actually audio books played on air - seems to have resurfaced in a r.n.i.b. Verwion .......
    In a what? :o:confused:
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently in the USA for a few months for work. if you were here you would certainly miss the BBC.
    Constant commercials for drugs (including warnings of the side effects) ambulance chasing lawyers, reruns of historic superbowl matches, and one I can't figure, the same episode of new first broadcast shows aired on the same channel at 9 and at 10... it was like deja vu!

I know we complain about repeats on the beeb, but I don't ever recall the same programme being shown twice in a row.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Well, to put it in a nutshell - I don't watch much BBC TV , apart from EastEnders, Doctor Who and Mrs Brown's Boys!! I like it because I can watch a film too - without obtrusive adverts every 8 minutes!!
    I admit I watch ITV and other channels much more - but I have to record them simply to FF the ad-breaks!! If the BBC ever resorted to commercials - that's when I'll stop paying the License!!