Options

Saorview overspill in North Wales?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there any overspill of Saorview reception in N. Wales, such as in Bangor?

Comments

• Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Rmcdowell wrote: »
    Is there any overspill of Saorview reception in N. Wales, such as in Bangor?

You need a Saorview box from Ebay or Amazon to receive it as the UK Freeview box does not work properly
    with the Irish channels as they have a different spec inside the boxes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Can anyone with an HD box pick up Saorview in N. Wales?
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Rmcdowell wrote: »
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Can anyone with an HD box pick up Saorview in N. Wales?

Try using a Wideband aerial if you have one on the roof, if you get no signal or very poor signal
    as the UK and Ireland use different UHF channels for different Muxes

With a Freeview HD box you might only get the NI Mux that carries the RTE and TG4 channels but not Saorview

As I said you need a Saorview box or TV and a wideband aerial
    pointing towards the Southern/Republic of Ireland coast to get a reliable signal
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Try using a Wideband aerial if you have one on the roof, if you get no signal or very poor signal

With a Freeview HD box you might only get the NI Mux that carries the RTE and TG4 channels but not Saorview

pointing towards the Southern/Republic of Ireland coast to get a reliable signal

A Freeview HD receiver has the right spec to decode Saorview (DVB-T/MPEG4) TV signals as well as the Freeview UK service. What it is unlikely to do is put the Irish channels in their correct order.

As there appears to be a number of households on the Irish East Coast receiving Freeview UK from Arfon in NW Wales - which isn't really a major / high powered transmitter site - it would seem highly likely to be achievable the other way round.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    You'd be looking for a signal from Three Rock on C30. Kippure clashes with Winter Hill and a couple of local relays. The best spot is the west side of the Llŷn Peninsula. Bangor would be difficult.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Although I am not in North Wales --- I'm on the Pembrokeshire coast -- I use a Sony KDL 32W4000 to receive the Saorview service from Mt Leinster and to mis quote Eric Morecombe ""I receive all the channels but not necessarily in the correct order"
    Regards
  • Options
    PhilipSPhilipS Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely someone trying this trick would be better off using a "group" aerial with the best gain for the channel he requires, rather than a wideband aerial, which will inevitably have some trade-off between gain and bandwidth? Rejection of signals from off the main beam might be important as well (particularly if trying to get the Kippure transmission).

Another possibility just might be Clermont Carn, which is high up on the mountains by the Northern Ireland border (over 2000 feet) and may have a slightly clearer path. Vertical polarisation on channel 52 (although Llanddona on 53 might be a problem in some parts of North West Wales). But then I guess the OP in Newry is well aware of Clermont Carn!

As other posters point out, a branded Saorview box isn't essential - a Freeview HD box will do. Must be HD though.

It's going to depend, at the end of the day, on where the receiving aerial is - Bangor's quite low-lying in parts, and Anglesey gets in the way. But there's been analogue reception in west Wales from Ireland for years, and there's no particular reason why digital should be any different.
  • Options
    reslfjreslfj Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilipS wrote: »
    ...Another possibility just might be Clermont Carn, which is high up on the mountains by the Northern Ireland border (over 2000 feet) and may have a slightly clearer path. Vertical polarisation on channel 52 (although Llanddona on 53 might be a problem in some parts of North West Wales).

Clermont Carn is very heavily restricted (up to -21dB = 1/125) from 70 to 150 deg on both channel 52 and 56.

Adjacent channels should not be a problem unless you are very close to the TX site - even lees here as Llanddona i H while Clermont Carn is V polarised.

Lars :)
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    PhilipS wrote: »
    Surely someone trying this trick would be better off using a "group" aerial with the best gain for the channel he requires, rather than a wideband aerial,

Couldn't agree more --- I initialy used an old uhf aerial I had kicking about with quite short elements.
    This was a waste of time with hardly any signal --- I bought the correct group aerial for Mt Leinster and the signal shot up to 90%.

Obvious really.........
    Regards
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget Kippure and Mt Leinster.

Parts of Dublin can receive Freeview from North Wales so the reverse must be true, given the ERPs of Saorview transmitters are much higher than Freeview transmitters in North Wales.

Some years back when on holiday in North Wales I had no trouble receiving ROI radio stations in places like Prestatyn etc , so I would imagine Saorview must be a possibility.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    Don't forget Kippure and Mt Leinster.

Parts of Dublin can receive Freeview from North Wales so the reverse must be true, given the ERPs of Saorview transmitters are much higher than Freeview transmitters in North Wales.
    Not necessarily so, it depends how the 'petals' of the transmitter have been set-up in terms of output. Ones facing adjacent countries are often limited to minimise overspill.