What were your irrational fears as a child?

Comments

• DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are going to Hell Danni, he is going to give you a big poke with his trident! ;-) :D

I've already been to hell and back so bring it on! ;-)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KittyKream wrote: »
    :D

behave !

It was truly appalling I know Kitty! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already been to hell and back so bring it on! ;-)

I went to Hell, all of the most intelligent and interesting people in History were there. :p

I went to Heaven and it was like bloody North Korea.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Being left behind somewhere by my parents I think. I don't know what triggered it, but even now, if I'm travelling or with a group, I hate being at the back and that feeling of being left behind.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I was scared people could read my mind and hear my thoughts!

I remember watching a kids drama where the characters got cursed and one of them said the phrase "without my pants" after every sentence he said. I was worried incase that was possible and used to worry it might happen to me! Not that phrase exactly but saying things you couldnt control.

When i was about 5-7 i used to play round my friends house most fridays after school and we heard that the box attached to the outside wall (some kind of fuse/electrical thing) actually had a laser sensor on it which could zap you if you didnt get in and out of the door quick enough!

When i was a bit older, early teens i watched part of the night of the living dead (remake) and thought it was funny. My dad later got it for me on dvd not realising it was the original. I watched it alone and it scared me to death. For weeks i had daymares about zombies. I was fine at night but when i was home alone (summer hols) i was paranoid zombies would attack me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Hell, all of the most intelligent and interesting people in History were there. :p

I went to Heaven and it was like bloody North Korea.

You mean people like Hitler and Saddam?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I remember, when I was a little kid, a mate had a foam-rubber skull-mask.

One day we were playing around in his shed and we got a blowlamp, heated up a bunch of nails and washers and stuff and we accidentally dropped one of them on the skull mask and it melted into it.
    This seemed like a terrific game so we heated up a heap of stuff and melted it into the mask and even aimed the blowlamp at it.
    In the end we'd made a right mess of the mask.

Then, for yucks, my mate picked up the mask and put it on.
    No idea why but that really freaked me out.
    I squealed like a little girl, ran across the road, ran into our kitchen and locked the door behind me.
    Even though I'd seen my mate put the mask on, so I knew it was him wearing it. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean people like Hitler and Saddam?

No they were not allowed in! Satan does have some taste after all. ;-)
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was afraid of something coming up the plug hole in the bath. It was all because of an episode of X Files where I think some alien parasites were coming up the plughole and infecting people in the bath. I would always get out of the bath before I pulled the plug.
  • jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    House fires. We had a few tragic ones in our area in the 80's, one my mother was passing by at the time and she sat with the woman from the house in a police car to calm her down whilst they fought the fire. She came home and her coat smelled of smoke. I rode over the house to take a look at the sight of the house with gaping black doors and windows terrified me. I started waking at night convinced I could smell smoke, it was the early 80s so I'd have been around 10, I don't think there were smoke alarms at the time and this thing took over my life. I'd spend time looking out of my school window looking to see if there was smoke over the area my house was, to be honest the fear plagued my life till I had a home of my own...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also that my parents would be killed in a car crash. They used to go out drinking in our local pub and leave my brother and I home alone of an evening from my age about the age of 11 and him about 7. My father would always drive, there seemed to be no worry about drink driving in those days. They knew the owner quite well so they would end up drinking there till the early hours. I'd initially go to sleep but wake up panicking if they hadn't returned about midnight. I'd spend hours looking out the window wishing to see the car headlights, I'd cry, I'd be feeling sick etc. it got to the point where I'd beg them not to go out as I knew how awful it would make me feel but I'd get a clout of my mother.

Why people do this to their kids ill never understand. I wouldn't dream of doing it to mine. When I look back social services would have had a field day in the 80s
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jessmum wrote: »
    House fires. We had a few tragic ones in our area in the 80's, one my mother was passing by at the time and she sat with the woman from the house in a police car to calm her down whilst they fought the fire. She came home and her coat smelled of smoke. I rode over the house to take a look at the sight of the house with gaping black doors and windows terrified me. I started waking at night convinced I could smell smoke, it was the early 80s so I'd have been around 10, I don't think there were smoke alarms at the time and this thing took over my life. I'd spend time looking out of my school window looking to see if there was smoke over the area my house was, to be honest the fear plagued my life till I had a home of my own...

Fire was a massive fear. I still don't like it much. I used to wake in the night thinking I could hear a fire downstairs. This only stopped about a year or so ago.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Yeah, we had a local family whose three kids suffered terrible burns in a house fire back in the 70's. Awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Fire was a massive fear. I still don't like it much. I used to wake in the night thinking I could hear a fire downstairs. This only stopped about a year or so ago.

Yep I used to do the same too, I was 18 and had my own home before it stopped. My parents were smokers ( I wasn't) and I think taking control of my own life and having my own place to make sure was safe helped my fears no end. I think it was part of the whole effect of taking control of my life ( my childhood was pretty sh** at times)
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I used to do the same too, I was 18 and had my own home before it stopped. My parents were smokers ( I wasn't) and I think taking control of my own life and having my own place to make sure was safe helped my fears no end. I think it was part of the whole effect of taking control of my life ( my childhood was pretty sh** at times)

I remember my mother laughing about falling asleep in bed smoking all the time (her duvet and sheets had loads of burn marks) and it put the fear in me even more :eek:
  • Merkin ParadeMerkin Parade Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I had a fear of trees & clowns for a while after watching poltergeist when I was 8. That film traumatised me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to sleep and dying or waking up permanently blind.

The very real threat of Nuclear Armageddon.

Also I remember reading a magazine called 'The Unexplained' when I was a young child, and could not get the articles on Spontaneous Human Combustion out of my head. Some of the photos were very graphic, and whenever I felt rather hot I did wonder if I was going to become a victim - just for a moment.

That only lasted for a few weeks though. :)
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to believe that the universe was controlled by an all-powerful and all-knowing being who would punish you for all eternity if you didn't do as you were told.

Seems stupid looking back.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I watched a Dracula film with Christopher Lee when I was about 7 and it gave me nightmares for weeks.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    I watched a Dracula film with Christopher Lee when I was about 7 and it gave me nightmares for weeks.

Y'know, I look back fondly on how easy it was to be scared as a kid.
    It was great that stuff like Tales of the Unexpected and the old Hammer movies managed to do the job, IMO.

I recall there was one episode of Starsky & Hutch (it might've been a 2-parter) where they were chasing after a guy who might've been a vampire and even that, in all it's 70's-style cheesiness, managed to give me goosebumps.

Happy days. ^_^
  • ziggy*stardustziggy*stardust Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    As bizarre as it now sounds as a very small child I was scared of the wheel on my Grandad's old car which had no hubcab on it!

Also, in swimming pools I was really scared of being near any of the filters. Don't know why though! :confused:
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, in swimming pools I was really scared of being near any of the filters. Don't know why though! :confused:

Probably because someone told you that if you went near them you would get sucked into them and would die (well that's what I was told, anyway!).
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »

I used to think they were terrifying.

Then I watched them as a teenager and that was it. Total crush.:blush: Beautiul man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to sleep and dying or waking up permanently blind.

The very real threat of Nuclear Armageddon.

Also I remember reading a magazine called 'The Unexplained' when I was a young child, and could not get the articles on Spontaneous Human Combustion out of my head. Some of the photos were very graphic, and whenever I felt rather hot I did wonder if I was going to become a victim - just for a moment.

That only lasted for a few weeks though. :)

I remember watching a programme about that. I wonder what they had eaten to make them burst into flame?

http://leinsterparanormal.com/v1/wp-content/uploads/844666_c905_1024x2000.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swallowing chewing gum. I was firmly under the belief that if you swallowed it you would die because it would stick your stomach up and prevent proper functioning of your insides. I think I was initially told this by one of my grandparents, but then one of my friends also confirmed it and said yes, you can actually die from swallowing it. I didn't have it often for that very reason, but when I actually did, I was soooo careful chewing it :o:blush: