Is there any need for a Poldark Remake.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it me or does people feel there is no value in a Poldark remake,after we already know what happens and it won't match the orginal.

Plus look what happend with Jamaica Inn.

Comments

• donna255donna255 Posts: 10,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the original with my mum and then read the books. The TV version did differ they changed things. People wrote and complained about the changes from the book back then. I imagine they will do it with this one. The books actually continued after the BBC version, the children became adults. ITV did a one off movie length version of one of the later books, which bombed, wrong actor as Ross.

I think this one will be interesting to see what happens. Also Aiden Turner will be brilliant as Ross.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the books and can remember thinking the actors were miscast in the original series .. especially Demelza who was supposed to be dark haired etc ... it didn't take me long though to fall completely in love with Angharad. Can't see this being as good but you never know.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    Is it me or does people feel there is no value in a Poldark remake,after we already know what happens and it won't match the orginal.
    What about those people who have not watched the earlier version, or don't know what happens?
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I've not watched the original so I am looking forward to it, however, I do wish that there were more original historical dramas (like in the past with The House of Eliot, The Grand, etc). At least it's not another Agatha Christie adaptation - although that's coming later on in the year with Partners in Crime!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allows a new audience such as myself to discover it
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've mixed feelings about it. I watched the original and imho it was about as good as it gets. So, why fix it if it isn't broken??

On the other hand it will be interesting to see what the new version brings to the table. But the original Ross and Demelza are so definitive in my psyche that I don't know how I will react to the new versions.

I will (try) and watch it with an open mind but it will be difficult for me.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    HTV did a Poldark remake in the 90's which was (by all accounts) appalling.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117353/?ref_=nv_sr_3

Apparantly it sat on the shelf for years, then ITV snuck it out one Easter opposite some huge BBC blockbuster in the hope no-one would watch.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We don't live in a time that considers whether something is necessary, it's simply "we can so we will". We could do without a lot of modern tat, but they could do it, they did it, it's now seen as essential. It's a mad mad world, our only hope is the end.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Allows a new audience such as myself to discover it

Exactly lm.

When they announced this series, I was thinking how great the original one was and how could they better it, but why shouldn't they try?. I have never liked the updated Marple's, but others love them so why should I complain?. I will always have my Joan Hickson DVD's to watch, and I look forward to see this new Poldark adaptation.
  • pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original Poldark series was very good for its time, but it was made 40 years ago on shaky sets with limitations on what could be filmed outdoors. It will be interesting to see if the update can improve on the original.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »

Plus look what happend with Jamaica Inn.

Anyone younger than 40 will not remember it so the answer is yes, it's a good idea to remake it.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this really only the third version of Poldark, there always seem to be one hanging around.

BTW, no don't need a new version, both finished for a reason, yes the fans of the books are passionate to the point of near insanity, but do the BBC or anyone else really have to rely on rehashing a well told costume drama. Are there no other costume dramas that should be tried before reverting back to something that was popular 40 years ago?
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Just show the original, it cannot be bettered.