Options

'I am not Charlie' - cracks in the unity after Paris attacks

Comments

• Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish article. They're not cracks. All that's happening is that we're now hearing from those that haven't signed up to Charlie.

You're always going to have people disagreeing. In this case it looks like:

a) a fringe minority on the Internet who have praised the attacks, and
    b) a body of people who say that while they outright condemn the attacks, they still cannot bring themselves to support a newspaper that mocked religions.

Personally I have no time for either group - they're both part of the problem..
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    Surely the essence of freedom is that it will include alternative views which may not be compatible. Are people really expecting Charlie to become a new orthodoxy

The key things is not whether we have differences but how we deal with them, can we live with complexity allowing debate and even argument without resorting to violent retribution
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Rubbish article. They're not cracks. All that's happening is that we're now hearing from those that haven't signed up to Charlie.

b) a body of people who say that while they outright condemn the attacks, they still cannot bring themselves to support a newspaper that mocked religions.

So wait, people disagreeing are part of the problem, even if they condemn the attacks?

Not sure that's really in the spirit of the whole freedom of speech thing.

I'm not a big fan of deliberately offensive cartoons either, but I'll stick by their right to exist. Did you read the interview with the dude from CH who says he "vomits on" their new fans who completely miss the free speech argument?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    So wait, people disagreeing are part of the problem, even if they condemn the attacks?

I'm not a big fan of deliberately offensive cartoons either, but I'll stick by their right to exist. Did you read the interview with the dude from CH who says he "vomits on" their new fans who completely miss the free speech argument?

No - those two particular groups are part of the problem.

JMVHO obvs.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I absolutely agree, I would prefer people not to be willfully offensive but reluctantly and on balance accept that they will happen in a free society. As civil, enlightened adults we should be able to cope with such differences of opinion, If not how much have we really developed and do we have much to boast about in the western world.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many, many, many people who are intelligent enough to understand the difference between the right to Free Speech, and a path towards relentless provocation.
    It seems to me that Ian Hislop is a person who understands that free speech comes with responsibilities.
    We will hear from these people in due course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    There are many, many, many people who are intelligent enough to understand the difference between the right to Free Speech, and a path towards relentless provocation.
    It seems to me that Ian Hislop is a person who understands that free speech comes with responsibilities.

I think that is going to be one of the key issues of the next few years, it may even supplant the left/right paradigm as the fundamental political definer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - those two particular groups are part of the problem.

JMVHO obvs.

Yes, one of those groups being "a body of people who say that while they outright condemn the attacks, they still cannot bring themselves to support a newspaper that mocked religions".

I don't support that. I do support its right to exist, but that's a different thing. If someone killed a bunch of Daily Mail staff, I would condemn that. It wouldn't mean I had to support the Daily Mail. If someone killed a bunch of Britain First people? Yes, I'd condemn that too. That wouldn't make me a supporter of Britain First. You see where I'm going with this?
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People didn't support this hashtag or movement to suddenly say 'we love Charlie Hebdo and all its works' they supported it to show that people have the right to say things without being machine gunned at work. Do I agree with what Charlie Hebdo printed? Not really. Do I think they should be stopped? Not really, I just won't read it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, one of those groups being "a body of people who say that while they outright condemn the attacks, they still cannot bring themselves to support a newspaper that mocked religions".

I don't support that. I do support its right to exist, but that's a different thing. If someone killed a bunch of Daily Mail staff, I would condemn that. It wouldn't mean I had to support the Daily Mail. If someone killed a bunch of Britain First people? Yes, I'd condemn that too. That wouldn't make me a supporter of Britain First. You see where I'm going with this?

No, not really. The issue of mocking religions was the motivation for the killings in the first place. But anyway, those are just my views.

The point is that they're not cracks. These people were never on board in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Relentless provocation of what exactly? And yes, free speech comes with responsibilities, one of them is not the fact you invite yourself to be shot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not really. The issue of mocking religions was the motivation for the killings in the first place. But anyway, those are just my views.

The point is that they're not cracks. These people were never on board in the first place.

Exactly right. The people claiming they didn't support JeSuisCharlie now, didn't to begin with.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

Fully agree.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Strangely, these I'm not Charlie groups seem to be right Charlie's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    razorboy wrote: »
    I absolutely agree, I would prefer people not to be willfully offensive but reluctantly and on balance accept that they will happen in a free society. As civil, enlightened adults we should be able to cope with such differences of opinion, If not how much have we really developed and do we have much to boast about in the western world.

Exactly- I support people's right to say what the f*** they want. It doesn't mean I support THEM.

Not sure how I'm "part of the problem", really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relentless provocation of what exactly?

That is limitless!

If you look at the other thread you will see members of this forum who seem to be relishing the prospect of reposting cartoons. That means that anything goes! That means that nothing can be censored!

Have they thought this through? I don't know!

We need to be patient and wait for a British born Cartoonist to produce a mind-blowing, truly horrific cartoon, mocking the dead child of David Cameron.
    Will the same posters still be insisting that everyone must re-tweet the cartoon even as public order slowly descends into mayhem......?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is limitless!

If you look at the other thread you will see members of this forum who seem to be relishing the prospect of reposting cartoons. That means that anything goes! That means that nothing can be censored!

We need to be patient and wait for a British born Cartoonist to produce a mind-blowing, truly horrific cartoon, mocking the dead child of David Cameron.
    Will the same posters still be insisting that everyone must re-tweet the cartoon even as public order slowly descends into mayhem......?

Erm, I don't think ANYONE has claimed nothing should be censored, and in reality a lot is, but the Charlie Hebdo cartoons were NOT censored under UK law either. They haven't been reproduced because of taste, but because of fear, as many journalists have agreed. The BBC has said that showing Mohammed is allowed now. Charlie Hebdo mocked everyone and everything, especially religions. It regularly went after the catholic church and politicians within France. Equivocating that to making cartoons mocking Cameron's dead child is daft, as that WOULDN'T be censored either, it would be turned away from in disgust by the general population.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am an ardent secularist but I think the best way to support a magazine that made what were often gratiously offensive cartoons about religions would be to print gratiously offensive cartoons joking about cartoonists being mown down by automatic weapons. It would show that being gratiously offensive is not just the right of one French publication :)
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is limitless!

The world will become such a dull place if people are never allowed to say negative things about anyone or anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm, I don't think ANYONE has claimed nothing should be censored, and in reality a lot is, but the Charlie Hebdo cartoons were NOT censored under UK law either. They haven't been reproduced because of taste, but because of fear, as many journalists have agreed. The BBC has said that showing Mohammed is allowed now. Charlie Hebdo mocked everyone and everything, especially religions. It regularly went after the catholic church and politicians within France. Equivocating that to making cartoons mocking Cameron's dead child is daft, as that WOULDN'T be censored either, it would be turned away from in disgust by the general population.

Ah.....so we have seamlessly moved to discussing what nottinghamc decides is, or is not, disgusting. :)
    And if the Dead Child Cartoonist was the subject of an arson attack....and died in the fire......then what?
    Would we then see you on twitter urging people to retweet the horrific cartoon to show that Free Speech is absolute?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    worzil wrote: »
    The world will become such a dull place if people are never allowed to say negative things about anyone or anything.

I agree. See my reference to Private Eye.
    I think - I hope - we are discussing the concept of Absolute Free Speech versus Free Speech with Responsibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I may be unusual but I take the mickey out of my friends far more than people I hardly know. Banter with friends is great fun and cements relationships, banter or worse about others takes no accopunt of sensibilities and often divides

There is plenty of scope to criticise and argue about things without causing gratuitous offence
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    razorboy wrote: »
    I may be unusual but I take the mickey out of my friends far more than people I hardly know. Banter with friends is great fun and cements relationships, banter or worse about others takes no accopunt of sensibilities and often divides

There is plenty of scope to criticise and argue about things without causing gratuitous offence

Causing offence is simply not sufficient reason to stay quiet though. There will always be someone prepared to take offence. In this case the offence is being taken by a group of people who are trying to hold people who don't share their beliefs to standards imposed by their beliefs. That is not something we should have to accept.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Negative statements should be justified.

I do not support ' Charlie'

I do not support the murders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am an ardent secularist but I think the best way to support a magazine that made what were often gratiously offensive cartoons about religions would be to print gratiously offensive cartoons joking about cartoonists being mown down by automatic weapons. It would show that being gratiously offensive is not just the right of one French publication :)

When Margaret Thatcher died there was an outcry because some people were quick to make jokes or rejoice about her passing. It was rightly stated by some (not just her supporters) that this was unseemly and good manners suggested that courtesy be shown in the immediate hours following a death and at the time of the funeral with debate at that time being fiocussed on her legacy (good and bad) rather than any personal attacks

I know not everyone observed that (regrettably IMO) but many of us "lefties" did

For me this is a moral issue, if you disagree that is your absolute right. I deplore the terrorists as anyone but I will not allow them to goad me into acting in ways with which I do not feel comfortable.