Options

Dispatches next Monday 'How to buy a meeting with a Minister ?'

tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
Forum Member
✭✭
Next weeks Dispatches looks interesting, I wonder who they have caught out this time ? Just hope that it is not Michael Green or whoever he is calling himself this time.

Comments

• Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    Next weeks Dispatches looks interesting, I wonder who they have caught out this time ? Just hope that it is not Michael Green or whoever he is calling himself this time.

You can buy into various Tory groups depending on your donation. This entitles you to eat with the minister and discuss 'issues'. Been going on for years, surprised no one apart form Private Eye ever mentions it.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »

Why is this news? Certainly I have had letters from the Conservative Party telling me if I donate X amount then I can get a meeting with the PM (usually at some Dinner). I'm sure Labour Party supporters get the same thing.

If you want a letter to get to a minister you could always spend money on a postage stamp and write to your MP.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH it's not the money/favours that matter so much as when/where and in whose presence the meetings take place.

In office hours in the presence of a proper civil servant (not a SpAd masquerading as one) with recordings made or notes taken by the civil servant and with those records kept/maintained is a very different situation to un-minuted/unrecorded meetings over boozy country suppers
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    You can buy into various Tory groups depending on your donation. This entitles you to eat with the minister and discuss 'issues'. Been going on for years, surprised no one apart form Private Eye ever mentions it.

You can go shoe shopping with the Home Secretary or Hobo Hunting with IDS - all for a 'small' donation
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to know why the country is run for the benefit of the rich, it's all about donations.

It's anti-democratic and bad for everyone that some people can buy some degree of influence. Whether it's from wealthy individuals or the unions.