Options

Ripper Street Series 3, BBC1 31.07.15 - NO SPOILERS PLEASE

Comments

• Options
    Aaron_2015Aaron_2015 Posts: 3,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that train crash scene cut by the BBC? Weird how the screen went black like that.

Budget restrictions I would guess. To actually produce the scene where the trains crash would have been hugely expensive.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Dilly Daydream;79130902
    Roll on 9.00 tonight! It will be strange seeing Jerome Flynn as Drake again and not Bronn :D

.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, love Bronn. :D
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume when she said she had travelled from Manchester Piccadilly she did not mean the station as that was called London Road in 1894 and remained so for the next 60 odd years. She presumably meant as in the gardens near the station, but it sounded needlessly odd in a story built around trains.

Never seen this series since episode one a couple of years back but it looks impressive with this new makeover so should get a good audience up against the barbecue war show on ITV at least.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume when she said she had travelled from Manchester Piccadilly she did not mean the station as that was called London Road in 1894 and remained so for the next 60 odd years. She presumably meant as in the gardens near the station, but it sounded needlessly odd in a story built around trains.

Never seen this series since episode one a couple of years back but it looks impressive with this new makeover so should get a good audience up against the barbecue war show on ITV at least.

Friday night is not the best night for ratings.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nerd alert, winchester pump actions came out in 1897
    This is 3 years before that
  • Options
    LostindexLostindex Posts: 2,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that doctor Jackson played by a different actor, or is it just me, he doesn't look the same as before !!!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise this was 4 years on from the last series. The BBC should get Amazon to film more stuff. The HD picture and sound are a lot better.

Unfortunately the BBC are only broadcasting in it in stereo, on Amazon it's DD5.1 surround sound.
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same Jackson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lostindex wrote: »
    Is that doctor Jackson played by a different actor, or is it just me, he doesn't look the same as before !!!

It's the same actor. He just looks better in super HD.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the BBC are only broadcasting in it in stereo, on Amazon it's DD5.1 surround sound.

It sounds a lot clearer than it used to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sound is much clearer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad opener. Ended a bit flat though.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    What have they done :-( It's not the same show for me. I know some people will prefer it as some thought previously there was too much violence and gore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad opener. Ended a bit flat though.

Have patience. It'll be worth it, I promise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lostindex wrote: »

I thought the same initially realised it was the same guy after about 5 minutes or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    Have patience. It'll be worth it, I promise.

Yes I will stick with it for a while.
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it.

Jackson will go bananas if and when he finds out Long Susan was responsible for all that carnage :o

Three GoT "alumni" in one episode (Bronn, Yoren & Blackfish Tully) :D
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that train crash scene cut by the BBC? Weird how the screen went black like that.

They were never going to stage it for real or with models (ah the good old days) and thankfully they weren't tempted to CGI it - cos that would have looked awful.

The look of the series is fabulous in HD I have to say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    Nerd alert, winchester pump actions came out in 1897
    This is 3 years before that

1893....http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/winchester-1893-shotgun. Improved in 1897. The series is accurate that it would have been very unusual in 1894.
  • Options
    sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it and agree with everyone who said that the sound quality was better.

The truth about who was behind the rail carnage has to come out at some point this series. Doesn't it?
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it and agree with everyone who said that the sound quality was better.

The truth about who was behind the rail carnage has to come out at some point this series. Doesn't it?

Oh without a doubt, I would say.
  • Options
    Condor7Condor7 Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    ozark1 wrote: »
    1893....http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/winchester-1893-shotgun. Improved in 1897. The series is accurate that it would have been very unusual in 1894.

Never mind the Winchester, the charactor called 'Railway' had an electric train set, these were not invented until about 50 years later at least. An almighty gaff.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday night is not the best night for ratings.

Why not? Surely more people stay in than go out!
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant loved it.

Jackson has changed his trousers, he used to wear big checked ones.:D
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch all 3 series here
    www.couchtuner.la