Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Whether or not the reports are correct or interpreted correctly, there is no logic to how grief - or forlorn hope - affects people. But visits to Reunion (or Toulouse) would be a bit of a surprise!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    There is no logic to how grief - or forlorn hope - affects people.

I think we tend to look at how we handle disasters and such terrible events, we are a bit typical to the saying "stiff upper lip" a bit more controlled ( lets forget Diana that was to me a blip encouraged by the flower mafia better known as Interflora) in how we handle such things. Some other countries and cultures tend to be a bit more vocal and demonstrative in their outpouring of grief.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Families of people missing on the plane have travelled thousands of miles to reunion island because 1 bit of plane debris has washed up, I know the people are desperate but that is mad.
    Not quite correct Will though typical Sky the story is somewhat misleading! The congregation in the church are Reunion citizens who gathered to show their support for the families of those who have lost loved ones.
    It seems to me that they've got the headline wrong!
    They have.....it's Sky! What else can be expected!
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Not quite correct Will though typical Sky the story is somewhat misleading! The congregation in the church are Reunion citizens who gathered to show their support for the families of those who have lost loved ones.

They have.....it's Sky! What else can be expected!

Wasn't it them who at the time of the MH17 shoot down report "Planes carrying the remains of the victims of MH17 crash land in The Netherlands..." ? I remember one of the news broadcasters did a breaking news saying that.
  • Options
    wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MH370 search: 'Plane seat' washed up on Reunion Island in May

Seat, and suitcases, that could have been from MH370, washed up on Reunion Island beach in May, and were burnt as rubbish, unaware that they could be connected to MH370.

See link... http://www.smh.com.au/world/mh370-search-plane-seat-washed-up-on-reunion-island-in-may-20150802-gipl4t.html#ixzz3hcEJ7Kto
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    Wasn't it them who at the time of the MH17 shoot down report "Planes carrying the remains of the victims of MH17 crash land in The Netherlands..." ? I remember one of the news broadcasters did a breaking news saying that.
    Either Sky or CNN. Both are as bats as the other imo! Constantly trying to be first with the news they inevitably cock it up whatever story they report on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wjong wrote: »
    MH370 search: 'Plane seat' washed up on Reunion Island in May

Seat, and suitcases, that could have been from MH370, washed up on Reunion Island beach in May, and were burnt as rubbish, unaware that they could be connected to MH370.

See link... http://www.smh.com.au/world/mh370-search-plane-seat-washed-up-on-reunion-island-in-may-20150802-gipl4t.html#ixzz3hcEJ7Kto
    Oh dear! :(
    Yet Mr Ferrier had no idea of the significance of the object. Flotsam and jetsam washed up are part of his everyday life on the inhospitable beach, where nobody dares to enter the fierce waves and shark-infested waters.

"I found a couple of suitcases too, around the same time, full of things," he said, almost in passing.

What did you do with them?

"I burnt them," he said, pointing to the pile of ashes lying on the boulders. "That's my job. I collect rubbish, and burn it. "I could have found many things that belonged to the plane, and burnt them, without realising."
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Mel94 wrote: »

I do sometimes (well, quite often actually!) despair of the media.

Yesterday on CNN, one of the anchors asked a resident expert if the underwater search would be moved to Reunion now that a flaperon has been found there!

I have to doff my cap to the expert for not beating his head on the desk! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yesterday on CNN, one of the anchors asked a resident expert if the underwater search would be moved to Reunion now that a flaperon has been found there!

Maybe when he said 'underwater' he meant literally under......underneath the island. :D

SP will be onto that by tomorrow....just watch! ;-)
  • Options
    wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is disappointing, because the contents of the suitcases would almost certainly have confirmed or not confirmed a connection to MH370.

It will be upsetting to the famines of the victims, even although no connection to MH370 was or has been established, the possibility, although not proven of someone burning belongs of the victims.

I just hope the media, or others, do not blame this beach cleaner, for doing his job unaware of the importance, of the possible evidence he was destroying.
  • Options
    Forum Member

"Oh dear" indeed ... although I can't say I'm even slightly surprised.

Nor am I surprised that the guy used what sounds as though it was probably the flaperon as a table when he was fishing.

Just because MH370 remains big news for us doesn't mean that a beach-cleaner in Reunion is going to place the same level of importance on the story, and if his job is to burn rubbish washed up on the beach, why should he even give a second thought to where it might have come from? It's rubbish, so he burns it.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    "Oh dear" indeed ... although I can't say I'm even slightly surprised.

Nor am I surprised that the guy used what sounds as though it was probably the flaperon as a table when he was fishing.

Just because MH370 remains big news for us doesn't mean that a beach-cleaner in Reunion is going to place the same level of importance on the story, and if his job is to burn rubbish washed up on the beach, why should he even give a second thought to where it might have come from? It's rubbish, so he burns it.

Yes indeed, you can't blame him.

But now, with the benefit of hindsight, I am surprised that some of the search and recovery efforts were not directed towards informing and reminding the coastal authorities and residents of places likely to collect such remnants, right through from when they could start arriving (months ago according to the experts) for the rest of this year. Places such as Reunion and Madagascar were predicted long ago to be places they could turn up. No doubt they will now do this, Malaysia are running the show (unfortunately) but perhaps the best chances have now passed... who knows?

It's all very sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much depends on what the contents were. If any Passports or official looking documents were among the 'rubbish' then i'd expect those to have been handed over to the island authorities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Yes indeed, you can't blame him.

But now, with the benefit of hindsight, I am surprised that some of the search and recovery efforts were not directed towards informing and reminding the coastal authorities and residents of places likely to collect such remnants, right through from when they could start arriving (months ago according to the experts) for the rest of this year. Places such as Reunion and Madagascar were predicted long ago to be places they could turn up. No doubt they will now do this, Malaysia are running the show (unfortunately) but perhaps the best chances have now passed... who knows?

It's all very sad.

Good point.

Someone definitely missed a trick there, so I hope the guy who thought to inform the authorities when he recognised the flaperon as something which may be important is well rewarded. Without him, there would be nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Much depends on what the contents were. If any Passports or official looking documents were among the 'rubbish' then i'd expect those to have been handed over to the island authorities.

Yup ... but even relatively insignificant things can be important.

A guy on CNN was talking about how a hairbrush or comb could yield DNA samples, which makes sense.

I'm not entirely sure but the same might even be true for articles of clothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup ... but even relatively insignificant things can be important.

A guy on CNN was talking about how a hairbrush or comb could yield DNA samples, which makes sense.

I'm not entirely sure but the same might even be true for articles of clothing.
    Reading through this link from the Telegraph i can see how/why this guy burnt items with little thought. He works entirely alone, never listens to the radio or watches television, and i suppose eeks out a very small wage simply for clearing debris up from the beach. He even saw the flaperon back in May. It was still in the water then so he left it but remembered seeing the barnacles on it were still alive. When it finally beached this week the barnacles were dead.

It seems safe to say that these 'bits', including the flaperon, are from MH370.
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not yet certain that this piece of wing came from MH370. It could have fallen from another aircraft. We will have to wait until the expert report their findings.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not yet certain that this piece of wing came from MH370. It could have fallen from another aircraft. We will have to wait until the expert report their findings.

The Burden of Proof in DS forums, and indeed mainstream media these days, is 'relaxed'
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

If nothing else it will be a shot in the arm for the île de La Réunion tourist industry;

........there are some beautiful hotels/resorts on the island.

I’d imagine there’s no shortage of news reporters volunteering their services to cover this story. :D

P.S....a winter break in Jan/Feb (their summer) on Reunion looks very appealing I have to say;......the temperature doesn’t vary much throughout the year. :)
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    If nothing else it will be a shot in the arm for the île de La Réunion tourist industry;

........there are some beautiful hotels/resorts on the island.

I’d imagine there’s no shortage of news reporters volunteering their services to cover this story. :D

P.S....a winter break in Jan/Feb (their summer) on Reunion looks very appealing I have to say;......the temperature doesn’t vary much throughout the year. :)
    Has Kay Burley arrived yet?
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently a plane door has now washed up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33750811
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky breaking news reports that more items that could have come from MH370 have washed up on Reunion. I believe a plane door is one of those items

Edit: Somebody else reported this while I was typing. It seems to leave little doubt now that these items, along with the ones the beach cleaner found & burnt earlier on this year, did indeed come from MH370.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they not floating on the surface from the crash site to the island?

Are spotter planes and boats not searching the area?
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Apparently a plane door has now washed up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-33750811
    The object, believed to be the door of an aircraft, was handed to the authorities after it was discovered just south of the city of St Denis.
    Whoever found it missed a trick . One of the worlds media would have paid an awful lot of money for an exclusive photo.

(I am not saying the person should not have informed the authorities ASAP, just while he was waiting for them to turn up ....).
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aircraft seats washed up in May. See here

Guy burned the seats!
This discussion has been closed.