Options

Paranormal Activity, pah !

richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Maybe it plays better in a packed cinema full of 15 year olds but on DVD I found it more annoying than scary.

It took an hour to get to anywhere nearing spooky.

Surely the ( Blair Witch, Cloverfield ) hand held video dairy style film has had its day.

Comments

• Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it plays better in a packed cinema full of 15 year olds but on DVD I found it more annoying than scary.

Surely the ( Blair Witch, Cloverfield ) hand held video dairy style film has had its day.

spooked the hell out of me. someone else i recommended it to had to turn it off half way through for a 15 minute break she was so terrified. best horror film ive seen in ages IMHO
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was great in a packed cinema, I didnt know too much about before hand so was pleasantly surprised and shocked at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I watched it at the Cinema and thought it was great. I didnt ermm get scared at all..:p

As you can tell i'm not a very good liar..:D
  • Options
    absalomabsalomabsalomabsalom Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love horror films but they don't scare me. PA, though, made me jump a few times. I liked that it was so basic. The closing scene was just brilliant.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Great film for such a small budget and very effective in spooking me out imo :)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's what I'm thinking of, it was pretty spooky and chilling. Couple living in a house where paranormal activity starts happening which is always being recorded through a camcorder?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep thats the one. originally hollywood was going to remake it with an impressive budget but spielberg told them it was perfect the way it was and to release it like that.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    yep thats the one. originally hollywood was going to remake it with an impressive budget but spielberg told them it was perfect the way it was and to release it like that.

he made them reshoot the ending though
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i thought it was pretty boring...some bits did make me think omg but nah it was crap
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with the OP, I watched this film when it first came out and found it boring, nothing at all scary to it. But then I never found Blair Witch even remotely scary. I get the fact that they are trying to put over real fears without the use of a lot of technology. And I do believe in ghosts, but this film just did a very poor job in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Gotta admit I loved this film, It was more creepy than out an out scary and it didn't give me nightmares at all :o Very good idea well made imho, but then Blair Witch was like Marmite, either love it or hate it or throw up after it like one of my friends lol :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think that an integral part of the experience was the atmosphere in the cinema. I can't imagine it being as scary on DVD.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that an integral part of the experience was the atmosphere in the cinema. I can't imagine it being as scary on DVD.

Yep, agreed.

I'm being somewhat unfair to it.

It does needs to be seen in a cinema with LOUD, dynamic surroundsound plus the breathless anticipated anxiety of 600 other big fearties. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would think it would be scarier watching it on DVD at home. Yeah you get the atmosphere in the cinema but I would get creeped out even more going up to bed after watching it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hubby and son watched it and came downstairs as if they'd crapped themselves lol!!:D Can't wait to see it, they are both scared of horror etc but won't admit!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it really annoying at first the way it was shot, but after getting used to that, my oh and i both thought it was really creepy. I thought about it for days afterwards and was afraid to sleep with any parts of my legs sticking out from the duvet! really good imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

try watching it with the lights off! i think that would totally freak me out. i think the type of film audience you watch it with makes a big difference - some people reported that some of the audience laughed and joked the whole way through and they found they didn't find it creepy at all, as opposed to smaller cinemas with quieter, smaller audiences.
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im never sleeping again, OMG Im so scared right now..
    Is the film true??
    What happened to the Micah? He never came back:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im never sleeping again, OMG Im so scared right now..
    Is the film true??
    What happened to the Micah? He never came back:mad:

Lmao!! Micah gone for good, scary aye? hope you're not alone, i was bad enough with my oh, hope you get to sleep! :D
  • Options
    LittleKitten123LittleKitten123 Posts: 415
    Forum Member

**SPOILER BELOW**

I'm an utter, utter wuss about horror movies but this one did not scare me at all. My husband is usually tough about this kind of stuff but he thought it was really scary. I actually laughed at quite a bit of it, especially when she was about to bite his nuts off.

We did watch it in a cinema, and the point you make about the cinema is totally true, especially because from where we were sitting we could hear from the speakers that there were 'audience screams' (similar to canned laughter on comedy shows) overlaid on the soundtrack, which of course made everyone in the cinema scream.

Leonalewisfan, I think you have seen the earlier version. There are two, the earlier iindie version (which is on a lot of pirate copies) has Katie leave the room and the inference is that she has killed Micah. I haven't seen the earlier version but I'm told after Micah disappears she comes upstairs and is catatonic for a while and is then shot by some policemen.

After the independent film was bought by a major studio they tarted it up and gave it a new ending. In the new version Katie follows Micah out of the room but a few seconds later Micah's body is thrown across the room towards the camera. A possessed Katie follows him in and the camera cuts out just as she is about to start eating his corpse.

Apparently there is another version which is quite rare where Katie kills Micah and then slits her throat.

I'm guessing you saw the first one, but Micah is dead and he was killed by Katie while she was possessed by the demon in all the versions.

And I hope you sleep too.
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **SPOILER BELOW**

I'm an utter, utter wuss about horror movies but this one did not scare me at all. My husband is usually tough about this kind of stuff but he thought it was really scary. I actually laughed at quite a bit of it, especially when she was about to bite his nuts off.

We did watch it in a cinema, and the point you make about the cinema is totally true, especially because from where we were sitting we could hear from the speakers that there were 'audience screams' (similar to canned laughter on comedy shows) overlaid on the soundtrack, which of course made everyone in the cinema scream.

Leonalewisfan, I think you have seen the earlier version. There are two, the earlier iindie version (which is on a lot of pirate copies) has Katie leave the room and the inference is that she has killed Micah. I haven't seen the earlier version but I'm told after Micah disappears she comes upstairs and is catatonic for a while and is then shot by some policemen.

After the independent film was bought by a major studio they tarted it up and gave it a new ending. In the new version Katie follows Micah out of the room but a few seconds later Micah's body is thrown across the room towards the camera. A possessed Katie follows him in and the camera cuts out just as she is about to start eating his corpse.

Apparently there is another version which is quite rare where Katie kills Micah and then slits her throat.

I'm guessing you saw the first one, but Micah is dead and he was killed by Katie while she was possessed by the demon in all the versions.

And I hope you sleep too.

thanks! yeah i watched the ending where the ending police shoot her. If only they left before she was possesed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i saw it in the cinema and trust me, it wasn't scary!
    in fact, we were laughing at it! it was full (large cineworld cinema) in one of the largest cinema's; and everyone was laughing at it because it wasn't scary!
    i think the trailer gave away too much
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    The first time i saw it was at home, it was late at night with the lights off and i had a set of headphones on with the volume whacked up. After it had finished i was really nervous about going downstairs!

When i saw it in the cinema everyone was laughing at it, including my friend who wondered why i'd made such a fuss about it. That said, i've got another friend who saw it with his flatmates on release night and apparently they ALL struggled to get to sleep after watching it! So it definitely depends on how likeminded the audience are as to whether people enjoy it or not. It's just a shame that some people in the audience feel the need to ridicule a film throughout it, as it ruins the experience for others...

It's a much better experience at home on DVD though. You actually begin to feel paranoid about your own home, and the slightest noise freaks you out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a couple of days after watching it i was lying asleep when i suddenly heard a bang. got out of bed, grabbed baseball bat and proceeded to go out of the bedroom feeling very nervous indeed. as i passed the bathroom i noticed that the piece of string which turns on the lights was swinging. i looked around and noticed the source of the noise... for some reason the attic hatch had somehow managed to work its way loose and it had swung open.... but it totally brough back the scene in the film with the attic.... freaked me out. took a while to get back to sleep after that!
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    The origional ending was far better than the remake.