Miller's Mountain / Mountain Goats (Merged)

silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
Forum Member
Just sat through fifteen minutes of this cr*p and wonder how on earth it managed to find its way on to tv. Anyone else think the same?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    Just sat through fifteen minutes of this cr*p and wonder how on earth it managed to find its way on to tv. Anyone else think the same?
    The trailer alone was enough for me to get the message.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the trailer looked promising. It's better than "Over To Bill" (although that wasn't a tough task) but I don't see how they could make a series out of this. You could get a Christmas special out of it, perhaps with them being snowed in the pub. Other than that, there's only so many things you can do with a mountain rescue team, isn't there?

I'll give it a second watch, as it was a bit too shouty for 10:40pm.
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazingly for BBC Glasgow there was only one loud, grunting Glaswegian in this but it did of course feature the awful Jonathan Watson as it must be written into Scots Law he has to appear in every programme BBC Glasgow makes.

Agree it was generally shouty though and that it was awful. I'm all for dry humour but this was amateurish nonsense.

Ah well. One more to go. Third time lucky hopefully but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is an odd one. Hammy and dated but there's something about it that made me not hate it even though I know I should. I don't know. Maybe I was just waiting for someone to shout 'Stoney Bridge'. Will probably check it out again as I found it weirdly comforting as well as dreadful.

And if I hadn't seen Sharon in Mad Fat Diary (in which she was fantastic) I wouldn't rate her based on this.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Came accross as somewhat like the High Life, 1990s Scottish sitcom about a group of air stewards. Everybody talking twice as loud as they needed to.
    Still I enjoyed.
    But its no Still Game.
    Why dont they repeat that?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it for the locations, I don't think I got a single laugh out of it and I hate a laughter track as intrusive as the one on this programme.

I think they would struggle to make a series out of it and they would have to be ready to pull the programme if there was a serious climbing accident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Came accross as somewhat like the High Life, 1990s Scottish sitcom about a group of air stewards. Everybody talking twice as loud as they needed to.
    Still I enjoyed.
    But its no Still Game.

That is perhaps the only good point, it was not as bad as Still Game!
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can imagine the OP sitting there, arms folded, a intravenous drip of mogadon fixed on the left arm in case of a random chuckle situation, stoney-faced , daring something to make him crack a smile.

Lighten up dude, It's a brainless sit-com, not effing Judgement At Nuremberg

5 or 6 good lines and a couple of LOL moments, not bad for a one off sit-com.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it while channel surfing, first bit of dialog heard "I know these mountains like the back of my hand, eurgh what's that?", carried on channel surfing.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    That is perhaps the only good point, it was not as bad as Still Game!
    Away an wash yer mooth oot>:(
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laugh an hour.>:(
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's 'Over To BIll' and 'Millers Mountain', two of the three
    'Comedy Playhouse' presentations that have been laughter
    free zones! Next weeks one with Sean Walsh also looks
    pretty dire from the trailers. Back to the drawing Board?
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    As the OP I admit that I was channel surfing when I came across this bl**dy awful rubbish! How would you describe this programme to someone who has never seen Comedy Playhouse? What should have been horrific injuries were shown as hilarious, (although I didn't find it funny but the canned audience did) there was no proper storyline and none of it made sense, not even in a farcical way. It really made me shudder!! Incidentally the background music was similar to Father Ted - is there any connection?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    What a pile of steaming crap >:( Is this what our licence fee is going towards.

I thought last week was bad enough but this has surpassed it by miles.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    As the OP I admit that I was channel surfing when I came across this bl**dy awful rubbish! How would you describe this programme to someone who has never seen Comedy Playhouse? What should have been horrific injuries were shown as hilarious, (although I didn't find it funny but the canned audience did) there was no proper storyline and none of it made sense, not even in a farcical way. It really made me shudder!! Incidentally the background music was similar to Father Ted - is there any connection?

I would say this was more like Mrs Browns Boy's. Another God awful programme imo.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazingly for BBC Glasgow there was only one loud, grunting Glaswegian in this but it did of course feature the awful Jonathan Watson .

Oh.,..delete without watching then. How that man continues to get TV work is beyond me.
    Still I enjoyed.
    But its no Still Game.

It's currently (or always!) being repeated on BBC Scotland.
    timebug wrote: »

Oh gawd, that man is as funny a a fire in an orphanage. Overated doesn't begin to describe him.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful scenery especially Bidean nam Bian.

It was silly, but it's a comedy.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't for me either. It reminded me of an unpolished 1960's radio play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it a BBC Scotland production?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timebug wrote: »

Oh so this isn't a series then? I only watched the first 10 minutes (with a puzzled expression) and thought it was the oddest attempt at comedy I'd seen. Was actually going to check out another episode...thought it might have been one of those so bad it's good shows (I normally hate that phrase; if something's bad it's just plain bad) or a spoof or something.

Strange, strange show. It looked like the kind of thing my dad would watch despite admitting it was lock of aul shite.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh so this isn't a series then? I only watched the first 10 minutes (with a puzzled expression) and thought it was the oddest attempt at comedy I'd seen. Was actually going to check out another episode...thought it might have been one of those so bad it's good shows (I normally hate that phrase; if something's bad it's just plain bad) or a spoof or something.

Strange, strange show. It looked like the kind of thing my dad would watch despite admitting it was lock of aul shite.

No. It's part of the Comedy Showcase Tink:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Showcase

It replaced the previous Comedy Playhouse which spawned many greats:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Playhouse
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "pubic hair" joke was straight from the 1991 One Foot in the Grave Christmas special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    No. It's part of the Comedy Showcase Tink:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Showcase

It replaced the previous Comedy Playhouse which spawned many greats:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Playhouse

Thanks Joni. I knew of showcase episodes on ch 4 but I had no idea about the BBC's playhouse:blush:. :o Of course I know the classics: Are you being served?, Steptoe, etc., etc. but I had NO idea where they originated. How could that be?! What kind of a bubble am I living in?!

As it happens I found the ch4 ones hit and miss, mostly miss. We loved Plus One but I didn't actually realise it was part of the showcase until I read your link. It produced one if the best lines I have ever heard: I'll get you, Frombloo!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It had a few good lines. I'd had a drink though :D

The first have was better than the second which dropped off quick quickly.

I don't see how they could make a series out of it though. Even if everyone loved it where would it go?
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to turn off after 10 mins it was the biggest load of rubbish I've seen in a long time