4 numbers pays LESS than 3 numbers on Lottery

Comments

• skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lebbon1985 wrote: »
    I haven't played for a long time.
    Anyway I thought I would look at their website. It looks like the jackpot is the lowest I have ever seen it £0.72M!
    Even on a Wednesday it's usually around £2M why such a small jackpot this week?

Since the cost doubled many people have stopped playing ( they should have raised it gradually over the years and not done a 100% increase like that ) and its holiday time many people are away and with the price increase and lower jackpots are not so worried about buying tickets in advance for when they are away anymore .

Mind you it does say a lot when when we are shocked at £720,000.00 as a prize and we think even the now usual £2 million for a Wed jackpoot is not a lot, which to be honest if you are young it isn't you couldn't afford to buy a nice house and retire on it on a luxury lifestyle.

Personally I think they should axe the Wednesday draw , reduce the price to £1.50 and just have a Saturday Lotto I think they would actually see income incrase and of course the jackpots.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Since the cost doubled many people have stopped playing ( they should have raised it gradually over the years and not done a 100% increase like that ) and its holiday time many people are away and with the price increase and lower jackpots are not so worried about buying tickets in advance for when they are away anymore .

Mind you it does say a lot when when we are shocked at £720,000.00 as a prize and we think even the now usual £2 million for a Wed jackpoot is not a lot, which to be honest if you are young it isn't you couldn't afford to buy a nice house and retire on it on a luxury lifestyle.

Personally I think they should axe the Wednesday draw , reduce the price to £1.50 and just have a Saturday Lotto I think they would actually see income incrase and of course the jackpots.

You beat me to it on that suggestion.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't actually think to look but I've just seen the jackpot was £720k last night - that surely has to be the lowest one ever ?
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't actually think to look but I've just seen the jackpot was £720k last night - that surely has to be the lowest one ever ?

A guy I know ,several yrs ago got 5 numbers and won £600, Same week his gearbox went in his car, £600 to fix it, I said cheer up at least he got his car fixed:):)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    A guy I know ,several yrs ago got 5 numbers and won £600, Same week his gearbox went in his car, £600 to fix it, I said cheer up at least he got his car fixed:):)

Yes, always good to look on the bright side. That said, it's probably the only time he'll ever get five numbers though :)
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

Im with you there. I have always found with this country that once they get a winning formula on anything, they over do it and burst the bubble sooner than it should have been burst. I would also cut the scratch cards down to a couple rather than the many they have.

I personally want to do the Irish lottery, but not found any of the sites to do it on as user friendly as our own lotto page.

I have done it a few times but dont really understand it. It seems to have many draws on the same day but when I first started doing it years ago it was like out own lotto.

Just want a normal website that I can place my numbers pay by DD and if I win it lets me know.. That's all I am asking for! :(:D
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the early 2000's I got 4 numbers on the Saturday draw and won £63. Rather chuffed with myself, I bought 3 more lines for the next draw.
    On the Wednesday I got 5 numbers and won £2,300.

I've never won anything since and haven't played since the price increase.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    If you've got 4 numbers you also have 3 numbers (plus another one). You should get £25 minimum.

Hopefully enough people will kick up a stink that they'll feel obliged to pay up.

Good luck with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the early 2000's I got 4 numbers on the Saturday draw and won £63. Rather chuffed with myself, I bought 3 more lines for the next draw.
    On the Wednesday I got 5 numbers and won £2,300.

I've never won anything since and haven't played since the price increase.

I'm not what the point of this post is.

Maybe you just wanted to tell us about your good luck a few years back ;-)
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Not the first time this has happened. Last year I think it was, one of the draws produced a situation where one ticket had 5 and a bonus ball and there were multiple 6 ball winners. The 5 and the bonus ball ticket received more money than the jackpot winners.

Ah, just googled it...2012 it was. The single ticket with 5 and the BB received £1.5M and the five jackpot (6 ball) winners received £968,000 each.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't the point of doubbleing the price, to improve the prizes?....

That appears to have backfired on them big-time. I cancelled my lottery subscription a month before the price hike came into effect and I imagine many other people did too.
  • GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Camelot's spin on the increase is that it would create more winners and the lowest tier prize would increase to £25. Plus the raffle number prize as another dangling carrot.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think most might reasonably expect more for 4 numbers - especially considering the odds differential.

It's not often this scenario will arise, and a safety net contingency should be in place for when it does, to save Camelot losing credibility (if it hasn't already gone, that is)

You say reasonably expect but I would say it's reasonable to expect people to understand the bet they are placing and how it works.
    Also the odds differential only applies to any one individual line The four number pot is limited and shared, the three number pot has no limit and affects the 'higher' prize pots every draw but it only gets noticed when a 'higher' pot share drops below £25.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that the increase in price is a bit of a failure.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Agreed, that's a farce. I appreciate that the £25 is guaranteed, but there is no way that someone getting 4 numbers should ever get less than someone with 3.
    Actually the £25 prize isn't guaranteed, in the same way that the old £10 prize was never guaranteed. There is wording somewhere in the T&Cs that they have the right to pay less in certain circumstances. Camelot said when the revised Lotto started that they've just never had reason to pay less. Well, last night I think they had.

Agree completely with what you're saying though. :)

Must have been all the idiots with multiples of 5 (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30) who won £25 last night.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course nobody won £25 or £15, they won £23 and £13. Unlike betting shops you don't get your stake back. I haven't even thought about buying a ticket since they doubled the price.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and the prize for "Over-reaction of the day" goes to ... :D

Yeah, Camelot need to lose their licence for explaining the system from day one and distributing the prizes in accordance with that system! :confused:

Not true. When they doubled the price of the tickets it was obvious to everyone but Camelot that people would desert the lottery in droves. I bought one the first week because the additional prize draw seemed reasonable compensation. Then I realised that the chances of winning that was about on a par with being struck by a meteorite.

If they'd have kept it at £1, people would have been far more likely to buy additional tickets and increase the prize fund. It must be one of the greatest business blunders of recent times.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Actually the £25 prize isn't guaranteed, in the same way that the old £10 prize was never guaranteed. There is wording somewhere in the T&Cs that they have the right to pay less in certain circumstances. Camelot said when the revised Lotto started that they've just never had reason to pay less. Well, last night I think they had.

Hmmm ... let's piss off almost 220,000 punters because less than 17,000 want more money.

Not entirely sure that makes sound business sense! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree completely with what you're saying though. :)

Must have been all the idiots with multiples of 5 (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30) who won £25 last night.

Well I went onto the national lottery website and looked through the very long and extensive T & C's, and could find no reference whatever to guarantees on payouts. However, I did find this which says that there will be £25 paid for three numbers (with no qualification), whereas the rest merely have a percentage share of the prize fund.
    Match 3

£25 Prize payable per winning Lotto Entry from the Prize Fund, plus an equal share of any amount available for the Match 4 category if there are no winning Lotto Entries in that category in that Lotto Draw

On prize capping it says this, with regard to three numbers:-
    52.0% of the Capped Prize Fund, plus the allocation of the Capped Prize Fund for the Match 4 category if there are no winning Entries in that category in that Lotto Draw, plus (only if necessary to ensure that £25 is payable per winning Lotto Entry in the Match 3 category) any other amount required from the Reserve Fund

On the other hand, the only time the word "guaranteed" is used, is in relation to the £20,000 for matching a raffle number.
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Not true. When they doubled the price of the tickets it was obvious to everyone but Camelot that people would desert the lottery in droves. I bought one the first week because the additional prize draw seemed reasonable compensation. Then I realised that the chances of winning that was about on a par with being struck by a meteorite.

If they'd have kept it at £1, people would have been far more likely to buy additional tickets and increase the prize fund. It must be one of the greatest business blunders of recent times.

Sorry ... what's not true? :confused:

I never even commented on the number of people playing the lottery, or on the price increase, so I'm struggling to understand what point in my post you're addressing.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Camelot should have dug into it's own coffers to make sure that 4 numbers does not win less than 3 numbers.

This is a PR own goal on their behalf.
    Forum Member
    cantos wrote: »
    Camelot should have dug into it's own coffers to make sure that 4 numbers does not win less than 3 numbers.

This is a PR own goal on their behalf.

I've Googled "National Lottery", Lottery", "Lotto", and "Camelot" in UK News for the past week, and can't find any articles about this "own goal".

Of course, I may have missed all the negative press ... or perhaps it's actually just a few people grumbling on the likes of DS because they "only" won £15. ;-)
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    £720k jackpot is shocking

Not that I wouldn't be over the moon if I won, I certainly would

But considering the ticket price increase etc and the "estimate" jackpot normally £2.1m....£720k is a shocker

2 people won it aswell so that's £360k each from a lotto jackpot win....you'd expect to be a fringe millionaire from that atleast

Although I'm sure those 2 that have won aren't complaining, £360k is a very handsome help in hand in life, equivalent to 30k or £40k a year for the next 9/12 years....tar very much

But as a none winner, it certainly looks a Disapointing jackpot in comparison as too what it should be!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've Googled "National Lottery", Lottery", "Lotto", and "Camelot" in UK News for the past week, and can't find any articles about this "own goal".

Of course, I may have missed all the negative press ... or perhaps it's actually just a few people grumbling on the likes of DS because they "only" won £15. ;-)

Or maybe it's because it happened last night.
    Forum Member
    Red John wrote: »
    Or maybe it's because it happened last night.

Considering the number of 24hr news outlets and the amount of instant news we have these days (plus the fact that searching brings up the most recent articles first!), it seems as though the media is extremely slow to pick up on this "PR own goal".

Maybe they will get round to it ... and I look forward to all the usual "sad faces"! :(