Options

Official: Boy George & Paloma Faith join panel

cheesebigginscheesebiggins Posts: 337
Forum Member
Alongside Ricky and Will!

Really chuffed with this! Tom was good but getting a bit repetitive after 4 series

Comments

• Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Paloma so good choice. Glad Ricky and Will are staying. Boy George could be fun.
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    Aw, bit sad that Tom's left, I quite enjoyed the inevitability of him turning for the really loud singers :D

I like Ricky & Will though and I thought that they were just starting to 'get' each other last year. Absolutely love Paloma too. Not sure about Boy George though. He's sometimes very funny but can also be a bit too bitchy at times. Will see how it goes though.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good choices and I'm pleased Ricky is staying.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boy George? Talk about scraping the barrel. Not good image for The Voice having someone who has spent time in prison on the panel. :o

ITV don't see the show as a threat anymore, there was a time when nobody was allowed to mention it.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Of Me wrote: »
    Boy George? Talk about scraping the barrel. Not good image for The Voice having someone who has spent time in prison on the panel. :o

ITV don't see the show as a threat anymore, there was a time when nobody was allowed to mention it.

It's not a threat for X factor who get done every week by Strictly in the ratings.
  • Options
    el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I'll be sorry to see Tom go, if they still let older singers compete there will be less chance of them being picked.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a threat for X factor who get done every week by Strictly in the ratings.

That could all change with the fresh new panel and a laid back approach to the show.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kmc1978 wrote: »
    Aw, bit sad that Tom's left, I quite enjoyed the inevitability of him turning for the really loud singers :D

I like Ricky & Will though and I thought that they were just starting to 'get' each other last year. Absolutely love Paloma too. Not sure about Boy George though. He's sometimes very funny but can also be a bit too bitchy at times. Will see how it goes though.
    I like Paloma so good choice. Glad Ricky and Will are staying. Boy George could be fun.

If her appearances on Never Mind The Buzzcocks are anything to go by Paloma will be as mad as a box of frogs
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this. Paloma will be funny and has had more experience in the music industry than Rita. George has also had a lot of experience (of course not as much as Tom) but I think he will be good fun and will be straight-talking. Also they're both good singers. It's going to be an interesting panel and could turn out to be the best one yet.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    This is no good. What team is the entire singing population of Wales going to choose to be on now?
  • Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love George, glad to see him on board (Paloma too). I think George is from the right era for many of the audience, I suspect the show has quite a strong middle aged clientele who grew up loving George and his 80s ilk.

As an aside I thought Will said he was leaving? Obviously not.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    This is no good. What team is the entire singing population of Wales going to choose to be on now?

Boy George is of Irish descent so any Welsh singers could choose to be on his team in the belief that all Celts should stick together :D
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    If her appearances on Never Mind The Buzzcocks are anything to go by Paloma will be as mad as a box of frogs

Sounds good to me :)
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    As long as Ricky is staying, I'm OK with that.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll miss Tom. But Boy George should be brilliant - can't wait!
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boy George strange choice not really sure what his type of acts would be .

We will find out in about five months.

Ricky is by far the best mentor from any of the years so far
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Boy George? Why?
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boy George huh? I can't say I'm a big fan of his music, but I'll wait until the show starts to judge him as a coach. I haven't seen enough interviews of him to really gauge his personality to decide whether he'll be a good fit or not.

Paloma Faith seems like a predictable choice. I was hoping they'd surprise us with Ora's replacement, although I guess it was more unpredictable than Kylie rejoining, which I'm happy we avoided.
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting Boy George is a stroke of genius IMO.

I love Paloma too so maybe I'll be enticed into watching again!
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Sir Tom Jones' official Facebook page:
    About The Voice UK: In good faith, as part of the team, I’d put the time in my schedule to be involved in Series 5, as I’ve done s for the last 4 years. I’ve supported the show and the BBC since the beginning. I was told yesterday, with no consultation or conversation of any kind, that I would not be returning. Having been through plenty of transformations throughout the years, I support and admire creative change. But being informed, as a matter of duty and respect, is an important part of creative relationships. This sub-standard behaviour from the executives is very disappointing. I will always admire the courage of the performers who participate in the show, as well as all the production staff who worked tirelessly to make a great family viewing experience for the audience at home. I wish the show well.

If this is the case (and I see no reason as to why Sir Tom would lie), then it certainly wasn't a particularly classy way to treat a legend. There's something quite sad about how he says that he's made space in his schedule for Series 5. :(
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kmc1978 wrote: »

George could be either good or a disaster. He's supposed to be reformed now and be nicer and not as bitchy. I guess we will see if he's really changed or it's just media hype.
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Great choices. A lively panel.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Comedy gold, this could be car crash TV
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Paloma is absolutely bonkers, should be great fun watching her, Boy George for Tom won't be great, because while it might for a personality point of view, his live singing voice has completely gone to pot- Interesting Panel though, and likely to be far more lively than the new XF so we'll see
  • Options
    Visitor QVisitor Q Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was only seeing this story that I realised Will was staying and Tom was going! :o

Not sure about the new mentors, does the show have room for as many as three eccentrics on the judging panel?

Boy George could be good, he has the potential to go off the rails and he'll be a bit bitchy but he's a clever, witty chap and seems pretty grounded nowadays. Paloma Faith, on the other hand, strikes me as a complete loon although I'll admit I don't know very much about her.

Of course most of the series is pre-recorded so nothing too terrible is going to happen.