Who do you buy your energy from?

Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
Forum Member
We're thinking of changing to OVO, currently using Sainsburys Energy. I do change every few years and I'm quite keen to change to a smaller company. The reviews are good, the monthly payments are £10 cheaper for dual fuel but does anyone have any experience of them, or other smaller companies.

(Mods, sorry if this should be in advice - wasn't sure :))

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eON at the moment, but they've just informed me that they're raising my direct debit by £16 a month, so it's likely to be somebody else very soon.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    On EDF for electric

Ebico for gas but we don't use it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eON .

They charge me £76 a month for a one bedroom flat . Seems a lot TBH :(
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Utility. We pay £100 per month for gas and electricity. We (two of us) live in an old house with knackered windows.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    eON .

They charge me £76 a month for a one bedroom flat . Seems a lot TBH :(

We pay £71 pm for a 3 bed home from Sainsburys Energy, and OVO has quoted us £61 pm.

Link if anyone is interested: http://www.ovoenergy.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Utility

We change supplier regularly, the prices and reviews a year ago were good, OVO appeared to be good too.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Utility. I just re-signed for another 12 month fixed price deal. It's a bit irritating having to read the metres every month but you get used to it.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flow energy i pay £26p/m for a 1 bedroom flat all electric, but my hot water and heating is included in my rent otherwise i'd imagine my energy bill would be much higher.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Sainsburys energy and have done for a few years now, I am not planning to change again, not worth it, you change and the price goes up to match the others.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At home EDF for gas and electric and for the business properties Haven Power for electric and CNG for gas.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old pete down the dog n' duck, Four for a quid.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    British Gas for gas, and eON for electricity (I think - my wife deals with it) at the marital home. British Gas is cheap as chips for us and we've paid the grand total of £88 in the last 12 months for gas. The house is insulated as much as possible and even when it's freezing outside it can be toasty and warm inside. We only turn the heating on when we need it on so it doesn't turn itself on and off, and the thermostats are pretty much redundant. I think something that helps is the fact we also have fairly heavy doors as well, so in effect we can "lock off" certain rooms we don't use that often in the winter which really does help with the heat.

As far as electricity goes it's about £15 a week, but all the lights are energy savers or LEDs, and we've got appliances that have really high efficiency ratings. It does go up a little when I'm there because I run a second server (there's one that runs pretty much 24/7), but even that's only an extra couple of quid a week. The odd thing is, we've just had the cooker and oven replaced with an electric one and we expected the electricity usage to go up, but it hasn't had the impact we thought it would.

Where I live when working (British Gas for both), I'm looking at about £30 a week for electricity and about a fiver for gas. The electricity use is pretty high here due to another server that runs 24/7 as well as 3 PCs, TVs and God knows what else. It's actually peaked this summer because I've had fans and coolers running pretty much constantly, and my housemate can't stand energy saving lights because she complains they're dim. She does pay 50% of the electricity bill so I can't complain really as I use more than she does.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Interesting. It was actually the poor service from British Gas that instigated the process of my regular changes from supplier to supplier. It wasn't the cost, just the fact that they insisted we owed them money when I knew it was the other way round. It was only with the help of the ombudsman Energy Watch that we were finally able to prove our case. Over the past few years I've been increasingly interested in ditching 'The Big 6' and moving to an independent supplier. Lots of internet research and a few phone calls today should finally clinch the deal.
  • rubble2rubble2 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    We have just (this week) initiated a change over from SSE Atlantic to OVO for both gas and electric.

Th change to OVO looks set to save us about £45 a month - but we do have a large energy consumption due to old house and 6 bedrooms
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We pay £71 pm for a 3 bed home from Sainsburys Energy, and OVO has quoted us £61 pm.

Link if anyone is interested: http://www.ovoenergy.com/

Very good, thank you.

We're with EDF at the moment, £86pm for a two bedroom house dual energy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

Fabulous, we're usually always first in when it comes to anything that will help environmentally, but I've not seen this.

Good that you posted it, thank you!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I live alone in a two bedroom flat and average £110 per quarter from EDF for both gas and electricity.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are with nPower, £120/month for gas and electricity on a family home
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDF for both gas and electric. I'm on the Blue Plus Price Promise until April 2016, and It compares very favourably to Scottish Hydro. Even Martin Lewis recommended this on television a while ago. I read my meters every three months and pay for what I use, which is very low as I live alone.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Lucozade
  • ChrisJamesSatsChrisJamesSats Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I've been with Ovo for two years and they're great. The statements are regular (one a month) and they are clear and accurate. I switched from nPower who were terrible (no statements for well over a year). The switching process was really easy too.
  • man_bear_pigman_bear_pig Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Been with OVO around 4 years after martin lewis recommended them on tv .
    Theyv been fantastic !
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Utility. We pay £100 per month for gas and electricity. We (two of us) live in an old house with knackered windows.

They came up as the cheapest when I looked on USwitch, so I switched. No complaints so far.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    EDF for both gas and electric. I'm on the Blue Plus Price Promise until April 2016, and It compares very favourably to Scottish Hydro. Even Martin Lewis recommended this on television a while ago. I read my meters every three months and pay for what I use, which is very low as I live alone.

Exactly the same as me. :)