Voip woes

JoddleJoddle Posts: 505
Forum Member
✭✭
Having used Voip Discount for many many years - and having been really happy with it, I was really saddened when over the past few weeks it seems to be going a bit pear shaped.

For many years I have been calling from my home in Spain some UK numbers to keep in touch with my family in the UK - this has been great and the cost so small as to be not worth mentioning. One of the numbers I ring is a UK mobile and whilst not free, its a good deal cheaper then using the Spanish landline!

Over the past few weeks I have been having a problem with the system - I call the number as usual but when the client says its "connected" it does not actually connect but I continue to hear the ringing tone. The person on the other end answers, and that's when the client message changes from "ringing" to "connected" but the person the other end hears nothing- and I hear the continuing ringing tone.

I have tried connecting using several other PCs and even on another router in case it was a line or ADSL issue but on this number and a few other numbers the result is always the same now. However most other landline numbers I call are fine but I rarely call mobiles.

Of course I have reported the issue to Voip DIscount but they seem to think there is no problem - (they should be where I am!!!) and although the case is ongoing I thought I would see if there is a known issues here.

The odd thing is if I use Skype or another provider or a landline or even a mobile to call the same numbers they connect perfectly normally - it is only when using this client there is an issue. I am using the voip connect client from W10 based PCs.

Could it be something to do with the way a mobile answers a call? ie could the voip discount client not be getting something back that forces the dial tone to stop and actual connects the audio? Any suggestions welcomed .....

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you use your mobile on the same connection as your PC? i.e. the mobile is connected to your home router via wifi?
  • JoddleJoddle Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Do you use your mobile on the same connection as your PC? i.e. the mobile is connected to your home router via wifi?

Yes mine and several other phones in the house access the router - does that affect the way a call is being handled 1000 miles away?

Also I have tried using another modem/router on the PCs - and the phones and other wi fi devices had no access to that one as the ssid was different.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joddle wrote: »
    Yes mine and several other phones in the house access the router - does that affect the way a call is being handled 1000 miles away?

Also I have tried using another modem/router on the PCs - and the phones and other wi fi devices had no access to that one as the ssid was different.

No, but I thought that maybe your ISP was doing something strange, which would not be affected by a change of router, and if your mobile was connecting using your mobile data and not wifi then it would be unaffected
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    No, but I thought that maybe your ISP was doing something strange, which would not be affected by a change of router, and if your mobile was connecting using your mobile data and not wifi then it would be unaffected

Ah I see - well many thanks for the thought anyway - no doubt the answer will eventually emerge thanks to people like yourself. That's what's great about this forum. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now things are really strange - VD say they can see no issue when they try - but when I do from my PCs I get the problem repeating regularly.

They then said they were "changing the routing" whatever that means and for a while after that things seemed to go back to normal - but now its all back to the issues again.

When I call from an IPad or an old XP machine I seem to get no problems - could be co-incidence but somehow I don't think so. Also If I use another voip provider it all works fine again pointing at something to do with the way the client works on my PCs - but how do I get them to understand that?
  • jkwellyjkwelly Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try FooCall, wish I had found them years ago.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joddle
    I have been using VOIP Discount for 7 years.
    Dont have any problems even calling a mobile.
    Even switching to Windows 10 didnt cause problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joddle
    I have been using VOIP Discount for 7 years.
    Dont have any problems even calling a mobile.
    Even switching to Windows 10 didnt cause problems.

Likewise - I have used it for over 5 years now and never had an issue until very recently - Following three weeks of failed calls it all now seems back to normal again ! - I can't explain why this should be as I've done nothing - anyway the good thing is its working again. I really love this little programme and over the years its saved me a small fortune as I call the UK at least daily for my home in Spain.
  • SeanWillis01SeanWillis01 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Joddle wrote: »
    Likewise - I have used it for over 5 years now and never had an issue until very recently - Following three weeks of failed calls it all now seems back to normal again ! - I can't explain why this should be as I've done nothing - anyway the good thing is its working again. I really love this little programme and over the years its saved me a small fortune as I call the UK at least daily for my home in Spain.

Unlike traditional phone lines, VoIP uses multiple IP routes (mainly to Maximize revenue).
    These routes can change constantly and sometimes a stable route is replaced with a unstable one. VoIP voice traffic routing is getting much better and these problems do not occur as frequently as in the early days of VoIP.