• Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Donald Pleasance
    Christopher Lee
    Robert Shaw
    A few who don't play villains often but were great
    Kurtwood Smith - one of the greatest baddies of all in Robocop
    Heny Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West
    and, wait for it, Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate. Yep, dear old Jessica Fletcher was one really nasty piece of work in that movie.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen Close, Faye Dunaway and Kathy Bates play convincing villains.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since seeing 'Last Action Hero' I find it hard to see Charles Dance as anything other than a villain.
  • Jessica LeMoneJessica LeMone Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    The man who played the hulk in the tv series ... no idea what his name is :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8rkGFLzQA
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The man who played the hulk in the tv series ... no idea what his name is :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8rkGFLzQA

Lou Ferrigno played the Hulk in the TV series - but certainly didn't play him as a villain.
  • Jessica LeMoneJessica LeMone Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Lou Ferrigno played the Hulk in the TV series - but certainly didn't play him as a villain.

He looks green and nasty :D
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He looks green and nasty :D

Well, in the programme he was green and kindly. To everyone except the baddies.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donald Pleasance

Decidedly loveable in The Great Escape and the good guy in the Halloween films. Admittedly, he was a bit creepier in parts 4,5 and 6.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Lathamite wrote: »
    Decidedly loveable in The Great Escape and the good guy in the Halloween films. Admittedly, he was a bit creepier in parts 4,5 and 6.

Ernest Borgnine and George Kennedy were like that too, they could either play nice lovable characters or really mean villains.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ron Perlman
    Richard Kiel
    Ian McDiamond
    Clancy Brown
    Dieter Laser :eek: (doctor in Human Centipide)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley Temple.

I'm not even joking. She has that look of a creepy walking-and-talking doll. Her eyes always look as if it'd turn demonic any time.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve berkoff.

humphry bogart ("of all the films in all the studios in all the world, i had to be in THIS one ......")
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently re-watched Mr Majestyk and The Godfather, and I reckon the late Al Lettieri had pretty much the ideal looks and presence to play a villain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Clancy Brown in Highlander as the Kurgan and in Deadly Pursuit as psychotic killer. One very good bad guy.
    Javier Bardham in No Country for Old Men and Skyfall, looks creepy and plays them so well. So that would be my two.
    But never count out Alan Rickman, plays the best over the top baddies ever in Die Hard, Quigley Down Under and Robin Hood.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Massee, appears as a guest on a lot of tv shows, virtually always as a villain
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought Terence Hardiman looked well suited to playing villains.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arnold Schwarzenegger.

There's a reason The Terminator is his greatest film.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Arnold Schwarzenegger.

There's a reason The Terminator is his greatest film.

Good point.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    Peter Capaldi after seeing day of the doctor

Some of the previous Doctors often played villains. Halliwell's Film Guide describes Patrick Troughton as "British character actor, often in malevolent roles". And of course Tom Baker was the baddie in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, a part which convinced Barry Letts he was right for Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack Palance should be in here, and Dan Duryea (if anyone remembers him!)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I've recently re-watched Mr Majestyk and The Godfather, and I reckon the late Al Lettieri had pretty much the ideal looks and presence to play a villain.

Yeah, extraordinary-looking man. Fantastic in The Getaway.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    So you answered the question exactly how others are and nominated Michael Shannon.... then came back 45 mins later to dismiss the topic?

Please advise what is going on in your head.

Jeez, at least Ted's trying to initiate some actual discussion. Y'know, what the board's supposed to be for?

I don't know why people bother to start these trainspotter threads. 90% of the posts are just random lists with no justification or attempt to explain their choices.

Oh and Shia Laboeuf would indeed be a crap villain. He looks about as threatening as a hamster.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, at least Ted's trying to initiate some actual discussion. Y'know, what the board's supposed to be for?

The discussion is the topic of the thread, you know, the reason we create topics on forums?

The discussion is not whether the topic has any merit and why should we discuss it.

Tip: It's not mandatory to discuss every thread you see.

If you don't like these trainspotting threads (which you contributed to) then perhaps you could stay out of them (which you didn't do here)?
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The discussion is the topic of the thread, you know, the reason we create topics on forums?

The discussion is not whether the topic has any merit and why should we discuss it.

Tip: It's not mandatory to discuss every thread you see.

If you don't like these trainspotting threads (which you contributed to) then perhaps you could stay out of them (which you didn't do here)?

Bottom line is I made a perfectly legitimate comment about why anyone would consider Shia Lebeouf, Jon Voight and Ed Harris 'so scary looking they should only ever play villains'.

In fact the more I think about that very statement, the more ridiculous it sounds...especially Lebeouf.