Why can't I buy frozen chips for my deep fat fryer!?

Comments

• BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Lidl sell big bags of frozen chips for deep frying - they are yummy.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    Lidl sell big bags of frozen chips for deep frying - they are yummy.

hmmm - not sure I could bring myself to shop at Lidl!
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to refer the honourable poster back to my earlier comment about being a lazy b&%@#$£ ;)

Yeah but cutting a potato up into chips takes less effort than hunting round loads of shops for 'fryable' frozen ones. :D
  • PickpussPickpuss Posts: 72,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm - not sure I could bring myself to shop at Lidl!

So you're a lazy b&%@#$£ and a snob :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pickpuss wrote: »
    So you're a lazy b&%@#$£ and a snob :D

Yep!!

Come on ladies - why wouldn't you want to come round for dinner?! ;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to refer the honourable poster back to my earlier comment about being a lazy b&%@#$£ ;)

You really are a lazy [EMAIL="b&%@#$£"]b&%@#$£[/EMAIL]. :D

It takes only a minute to cut a potato into suitable chip sized sections... even less if you just cut it into chunky squares (which I prefer anyway). You don't even have to bother peeling most potatoes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep!!

What will be eaten with the chips :confused:

The difference between you being a lazy batchelor and an eligible one may all depend on your answer :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    My boyfriends mum deep fries her chips and they are horrid! They are greasy and just all squishy inside.
    Then she is doing it wrong.

There is only one way to produce a proper serving of chips:
    Peel and chip some fresh spuds (it´s not difficult)
    Rinse and dry them
    Heat clean oil to correct temperature
    Fry to desired doneness
    Drain & serve

Oven chips are more expensive and nowhere near as tasty.
    And properly fried chips are not high in fat or cholesterol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What will be eaten with the chips :confused:

The difference between you being a lazy batchelor and an eligible one may all depend on your answer :D

I'm only joking - I would never dream of serving up chips to a female guest!! Not the first time anyway!!

I think it would be something nice from M&S - not sure I could go as far as cooking something from scratch!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only joking - I would never dream of serving up chips to a female guest!! Not the first time anyway!!

I think it would be something nice from M&S - not sure I could go as far as cooking something from scratch!

Aah, but if you got them from M&S these would be no ordinary chips :D
  • michymichy Posts: 4,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooooh M&S chips are lush :D In fact they are the only oven chips I do eat :D

And I'm another that throws their fryer out when it needs cleaning :o I brought a nice new stainless steel one a while back and don't like getting it dirty so when we do have chips I'm more likely to send oldest child to the chippy rather than use it :o:D
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that whenever you go into a supermarket these days, they only have frozen oven chips - can I just use these in a deep far fryer?

I know they're not as healthy cooked that way but I'm really lazy!

Thanks

Simon

Oven chips are not necessarily healthier than deep-fried - they may be fattier and saltier - so I guess if you deep-fry them you're getting the worst of all worlds! :eek:

See here

M&S 'Yukon' deep-fry chips are lovely, though pricey of course, and I'm not making any particular health claims for them ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can deep fry oven chips, I always make fresh chips, so much better and very little effort to peel and chip a couple of potatos.

I agree and You don't even need to peel them - I like the taste of the skin on and always leave it on! So much easier I can't think of a single explanantion for using frozen chips they're ugh!
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep!!

You sound like my kinda guy, frozen deep fried chips,:D with energy light bulbs for romantic lighting.:D
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere that frozen chips were basically potatoes that had been cut up into pieces. Why not just try using some of these "potatoes" instead? They are available from most leading supermarkets, loose or in handy 5kg bags.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sh1t wrote: »
    I read somewhere that frozen chips were basically potatoes that had been cut up into pieces. Why not just try using some of these "potatoes" instead? They are available from most leading supermarkets, loose or in handy 5kg bags.

But as the OP keeps pointing out he's a lazy b&%@#$£ :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    You sound like my kinda guy, frozen deep fried chips,:D with energy light bulbs for romantic lighting.:D

Ooh, do we need to buy hats :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sh1t wrote: »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=20858908&postcount=26
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, do we need to buy hats :D

No just bring some curry and pappadums and some candles in case the lights go out.:D
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont have adeep fat fryer but id have thought that with the chips being frozen thier water content would be released and cause the fat to spit like mad?
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that whenever you go into a supermarket these days, they only have frozen oven chips - can I just use these in a deep far fryer?

I know they're not as healthy cooked that way but I'm really lazy!

you're too lazy to make some oven chips? :D

(but not too lazy to have the hassle of cleaning deep fat fryers?)

Iain :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »

I've come to the assumption that the OP's deep fat fryer doesn't get cleaned very often nor do the counter and cupboards in close proximity to it... :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    you're too lazy to make some oven chips? :D

Iain :confused:
    Bookends wrote: »
    I've come to the assumption that the OP's deep fat fryer doesn't get cleaned very often nor do the counter and cupboards in close proximity to it... :o

Come on be fair now, he buys a new deep fat fryer ever 6 months or so :D

Depending on how often he has chips it may not get to the cleaning stage and as soon as it does out with the old and in with the new :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on be fair now, he buys a new deep fat fryer ever 6 months or so :D

Depending on how often he has chips it may not get to the cleaning stage and as soon as it does out with the old and in with the new :)

Even so the area in the immediate vicinity of the deep-fat-fryer needs to be wiped down after every time it's used. It's a blood pain in the neck piece of equipment as far as I'm concerned... I bought one once in order to make home-made chicken nuggets... I chucked it away within two months because it left a sticky residue everywhere if I didn't scrub immediately after every single use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bookends wrote: »
    Even so the area in the immediate vicinity of the deep-fat-fryer needs to be wiped down after every time it's used. It's a blood pain in the neck piece of equipment as far as I'm concerned... I bought one once in order to make home-made chicken nuggets... I chucked it away within two months because it left a sticky residue everywhere if I didn't scrub immediately after every single use.

Aha! But not if you put fryer under the extractor fan thing!