The doctor's enemies are stupid

2»

Comments

• Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    Yes, a much more liberal and compassionate response :D

Maybe they're using Silurian sleepy tech. Seems reliable over long durations (better than carbonite, for example).

It also resolves Muttley's niece's worry that they might forget to take him his tea. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you freeze him in time it presumably solves the problem of him unlocking the puzzle. If you shoot him there's always the chance he might regen or someone with the right tech might pluck him out of time.

Of course, we happen to know that freezing Time Lords in Time doesn't always work. See The Lodger, Invasion of the Dinosaurs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not wishing to be too geeky here but... it's the TARDIS that goes *bang* and the Evil Leagues of Evil knew that. Considering the lengths the doc has gone to in order to stop 'em before would any of them have been 100% sure that he WOULDN'T rig the TARDIS to explode if he was finally killed off? Or, for that matter, that the old girl wouldn't have taken the actual final death of the Doc a wee bit hard and decicded to turn the universe inside out as a result?

Locking him away was the safer option (odd but true) and has one more side-benefit. While all data pointed to this being the best way to save the universe... everyone involved has seen dead certan outcomes go whaooney shaped before now and if that WAS to happen having the Doctor around as a very last ditch fall back plan might not be such a bad idea.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not wishing to be too geeky here but... it's the TARDIS that goes *bang* and the Evil Leagues of Evil knew that. Considering the lengths the doc has gone to in order to stop 'em before would any of them have been 100% sure that he WOULDN'T rig the TARDIS to explode if he was finally killed off? Or, for that matter, that the old girl wouldn't have taken the actual final death of the Doc a wee bit hard and decicded to turn the universe inside out as a result?

Locking him away was the safer option (odd but true) and has one more side-benefit. While all data pointed to this being the best way to save the universe... everyone involved has seen dead certan outcomes go whaooney shaped before now and if that WAS to happen having the Doctor around as a very last ditch fall back plan might not be such a bad idea.
    I'm not actually sure they did know that the destruction of the TARDIS would be the cause of it, and they almost certainly don't know the TARDIS has any kind of sentience. All their projections pointed toward the Doctor destroying the universe, not the TARDIS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ja88ed wrote: »

Of course, we happen to know that freezing Time Lords in Time doesn't always work. See The Lodger, Invasion of the Dinosaurs.

And speaking of Invasion of the Dinosaurs ...
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    He'd regenerate.

Not if the method kills instantly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    Not if the method kills instantly.

Or a dead on Dalek blast. It srambles up the internal organs and prevents the two hearts making regenerative energy.

Its sad i know this isn't it?
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    I'm not actually sure they did know that the destruction of the TARDIS would be the cause of it, and they almost certainly don't know the TARDIS has any kind of sentience. All their projections pointed toward the Doctor destroying the universe, not the TARDIS.

It was made clear that they knew that the TARDIS was the cause of the explosion, but, as you say, what they didn't know was the reason for the TARDIS exploding.

They were proceding on the assumption that this was something the Doctor had either done deliberately or accidentally, and, with him out the way, threat neutralised.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Why haven't the baddies ever just shot him? Why do the Bond villains come up with elaborate ways to kill 007, but always leave the room giving him a chance to escape? :D

Its more fun that way!
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    Why haven't the baddies ever just shot him? Why do the Bond villains come up with elaborate ways to kill 007, but always leave the room giving him a chance to escape? :D

Its more fun that way!

It's like the evil machinations of 'The Hooded Claw' in 'The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop'!

Will we see a cameo from the Ant-Hill Mob?

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Okay, fair, they thought it was the Doctor, HE'S the one that tells them it's the TARDIS. And I'm pretty sure that, while it hasn't been explicitly stated, the Daleks would know how a TARDIS works inside out and back to front at this point...
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they are, they forgot the cardinal rule.....
    The Doctor wrote:
    There’s one thing you never put in a trap, if you’re smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow there’s one thing you never, ever put in a trap. Me..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dalek guns tend to make the person disintegrate. I doubt he could regenerate from that!

Still, it's the James Bond school of drama.

"Ah, Mr Bond. You've found my lair! Let me explain in minute detail the intricacies of my plan and any potential weak spots. And then, rather than killing you outright, I shall put you in a cell from which you might escape! You'll never stop me!"

What was the cliffhanger of the Stolen Earth then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    It's like the evil machinations of 'The Hooded Claw' in 'The Perils Of Penelope Pitstop'!

Will we see a cameo from the Ant-Hill Mob?

Regards,

Cypher

No. Frankie will protect you from the hooded claw.

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they are, they forgot the cardinal rule.....

Case proven. Lloyd Webber and Norton are the BB. Though I would inlcude Cowell for an unholy trinity.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer to the question is exactly the same as when it is asked of the James bond villains... i.e. why don't you just shoot him rather than leave him in room by himself with a laser working its way to his nuts....

It's all about Drama. Simple as that.

Besides maybe we could have an Austin Powers style Dr Who piss take at some point :-)
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daleks never take the opportunity just to blow his head off... which would be a rubbish story, but could be a way to end it when the axe eventually falls again....
    that'd be a lousy end to the series, I think the loyal fans who stuck with it to the end would deserve something better than that when and if it gets cancelled.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    What was the cliffhanger of the Stolen Earth then?

I think people have conveniently forgotten that...

Maybe it was swallowed by the crack?