Options

semi permanent hair colour - quickest removal suggestions

Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
Forum Member
hi there,

I have a little disaster on my hands or head rather... :cool:

one of those Semi Permanenet things that supposed to last 6-8 weeks.. I hate it, I look like a goth (yes I lost track of time)

any suggestions on how to lift he colour, or reduce the severity of the colour.. without killing my hair :D

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Oops slight disaster but you can lift the colour you can buy a colour lifting wash in Boots (shall try and find a link for you but sure its called Colour B4) But for tonight you can try and lift it with some stuff you should have about the house!!!

Baby shampoo is good for lifting hair dye... as is washing up liquid :eek:

I tried to dye my hair chocolate brown and it went black and washing it a few times with washing up liquid helped it look less scary... But loads of conditioner as your hair will feel horrid!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cherry_Pie wrote: »
    Oops slight disaster but you can lift the colour you can buy a colour lifting wash in Boots (shall try and find a link for you but sure its called Colour B4) But for tonight you can try and lift it with some stuff you should have about the house!!!

Baby shampoo is good for lifting hair dye... as is washing up liquid :eek:

I tried to dye my hair chocolate brown and it went black and washing it a few times with washing up liquid helped it look less scary... But loads of conditioner as your hair will feel horrid!!!

Fairy Liquid ? I never thought of that?? I'll go give it a try.. thank you :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Good Luck with the fairy liquid... give it a few washes in it and fingers crossed!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I second the baby shampoo suggestion, it's meant to work wonders. I do worry that fairy liquid may be a little too harsh on your hair, especially after it being newly dyed... but I could be talking nonsense there.

There is actually a product known as 'hair dye remover', which I imagine you will find in a large Boots or via the internet. However, I have no idea how much these cost. I've heard of one called 'Oops- Extra Strength Hair Dye Remover', or something of the like, which may be worth a google.

I also did a quick search for you and apparantley the hot oil hair treatments you get are also known for fading out hair colour. Also, I read that mixing the contents of some Vitamin C gel capsules with baby shampoo can really strip it out, left on for about 45mins-1 hour.

Hope I helped, good luck! :)
  • Options
    pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Head and Shoulders, it can lift some of the colour out-better for your hair than Fairy too.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do try Fairy and your hair feels awful, you can deep condition your hair with fabric conditioner. It's an old supermodel trick for when their hair is ruined from loads of fashion shows!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a hairdresser.

Baby shampoo is more likely to lock the colour in than fade it out. The reason for this is that baby shampoo is NOT fairy liquid (god help your baby's scalp if you wash it with fairy liquid). Baby shampoo is formulated to be the same PH level as our tears (around 7) which incidentally is the same PH level as water. That's pretty gentle.

Fairy liquid is around PH 9.4 (150 times more alkaline than baby shampoo). The alkalinity will help lift the cuticle, allowing the semi permanent colour to escape. Leaving it on the hair and wrapping a hot wet towel around your hair at the same time will also help to open the cuticle and remove some of the colour.

Good luck!

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well thank you everyone who advised.. I've tried the Fairy Liquid, and it's definately lifting, slowly but surely... I've been using every night, and keeping the hair tied back, during the day.. so nobody's really noticed, a few have said is your hair darker.. I said I just haven't washed it.. lol lol

I'm stunned at the fabric conditioner suggestion.. that's a real trade secret that one huh... lol lol

Thanks again, you've been great x
  • Options
    bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    Well thank you everyone who advised.. I've tried the Fairy Liquid, and it's definately lifting, slowly but surely... I've been using every night, and keeping the hair tied back, during the day.. so nobody's really noticed, a few have said is your hair darker.. I said I just haven't washed it.. lol lol

I'm stunned at the fabric conditioner suggestion.. that's a real trade secret that one huh... lol lol

Thanks again, you've been great x

Has anyone tried this? Does it really work?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bridgetb wrote: »
    Chemically they are similar so yes it would work. Although I've never tried it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Boots sell a good hair dye remover

http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4.-Hair-colour-remover-extra-strength-by-Scott-Cornwall-hair-expert._1000976/

It should get a semi permanent dye out no problem
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dyed my blonde hair a semi permanent brown a few years ago and it looked dreadful on me. I managed to fade the colour really well by just washing my hair loads of times in succession. Keep doing it and it will fade!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used the Boots Colour B4 product to take a permanent red dye out of my natural blonde hair. Followed the instructions exactly and my hair pretty much returned to it's natural colour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,306
    Forum Member
    I've been looking at the Colour B4 stuff. Has anyone used it after dying their hair for years?

I've been dying my hair for about 10 years and I've been getting darker and darker each time. Now I've had enough of dying it and trying to grow it out but the roots are getting so obvious now. I really don't want to dye it again but my hair is about 2 inches past my shoulders so it's going to take a long time to grow it fully!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kissie wrote: »
    I've been looking at the Colour B4 stuff. Has anyone used it after dying their hair for years?

I've been dying my hair for about 10 years and I've been getting darker and darker each time. Now I've had enough of dying it and trying to grow it out but the roots are getting so obvious now. I really don't want to dye it again but my hair is about 2 inches past my shoulders so it's going to take a long time to grow it fully!

Hi Kissie, I have a friends who after hearing my hysterical dilemma (there's usually one), I referred her to this very product after hearing about it on here.. She RAVED about it, and she's a dyehard (escuse the pun) tinter...

She used the one up from B4 though.. Extra strength or something.. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    She used the one up from B4 though.. Extra strength or something.. :D

Yeah, I've seen the extra strength one and I think that's the one I'll get. Might pop into town this morning and try it... eek scared! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I have had every colour under the rainbow in my hair - including pink, purple, green, blue, yelloe, red and orange. I was changing it every other month. Eventually, I went from having bum length hair, to having shoulder length hair, as it just couldn't hack it and fell apart. Don't experiment too much and always go to a good hairdresser for dyeing and changing colour. If you don't like the colour you've given yourself now, simply wait it out. Wash it as often as poss, but condition it every time too. I'm sure you'd rather have healthy hair with an odd colour for just a couple of months or so, rather than unhealthy, dry hair with your natural colour, faster. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I bought the Extra Strength Colour B4 stuff - it smelt disgusting and left my hair looking like straw (thank goodness for intense conditioner!) but the results are amazing.

I've been dying my hair for about 13 years and have gone from reds down to blacks and up until 2 hours ago my hair was a very dark brown/black. After using it, it's now a much lighter mousey brown.

I can still see a few hints of the reds I have used in the past, but if anything it just adds to the colour and gives it more depth.

I am so impressed, one of the best £12 I've ever spent!
  • Options
    PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Has anyone ever successfully re-coloured their hair after using Colour B4?

I had dyed my hair with a very dark brown, almost black, permanent dye, which I wanted to remove so I could re-colour it a chocolatey mid-brown - kind of Kate Middleton-y.

First time; Colour B4 worked well to remove the colour, leaving my hair kind of reddy-brown, but also giving me a bad asthma attack from the fumes. I immediately re-coloured with a semi-permanent brown to even the colour (as recommended in the instructions, it says not to use permanent colour as the original colour will return as it is still in the hair but invisible) and it instantly returned to almost black.

Second time; I decided I should have used a gentle temporary colour instead. I used Colour B4 again, this time in a well ventilated room and no asthma attack. The colour came out well again and I successfully toned it with a wash-in, wash-out colour. I let my hair rest for a couple of weeks before using a permanent brown dye to colour my regrowth and greys - and it immediately went back to black.

Third time; I used Home Bargains dye remover this time (only £5!) and if anything it worked even better than the Colour B4. I did however forget not to apply it in the bathroom with the window shut and I had an even worse asthma attack. Afterwards I left my hair for a week without re-colouring it. When I did recolour it I used L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss - ammonia-free non-permanent colour, just like the remover instructions advised. And guess what? It went straight back to black again.

I'm getting pretty fed up of this now. It would have been cheaper to have had my hair stripped and re-dyed at a salon in the first place!

Does anyone have any experience of how soon I can successfully re-colour my hair after using dye remover? I might give it one last attempt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I left mine about a month before I recoloured it after using the colour b4 stuff.... I will be honest though, I used a permanent dye on it again and then used some intensive conditioner for a while.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bridgetb wrote: »

I did back in the 80s and was modelling. Used to give me chronic headaches, don't know why. Hair was nice through :D
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    colour b4 is cheapest on ebay