Home and other preparations for bringing kittens home

statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
As the title says. And also what to do for the first few weeks (months?) when the kittens come to live?

People have been brilliant on the thread I created for advice about cats and long working hours so I thought I'd create one for practical advice for those of us wanting to get kittens. Tips to make them as happy, healthy and at home as possible. Thank you :)

Comments

• dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mine were rescue, the first time I went to see them, I took a blanket with me that I left there. When I brought them home, they had the blanket which smelt of where they had been so it was familiar.

Am sure I will think of other things, just about to run out the door for work! :D
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    I bought lots of 'stuff' before I got my kitten Tabitha, many years ago, likewise before I adopted my 2 rescue cats last year. Most of it was a complete waste of money!.

My Tabitha ignored her lovely cat bed, the only time she ever used it was when she was in the cattery. The cat beds that I bought last year have remained untouched though, strangely, both my newer cats like to use Tabitha's ancient cat bed.

The newer scratching posts don't get used, Tabitha's old ones do. I bought lots of litter trays because I was told that each cat needed one each plus one spare. Both cats chose to use the same one and they just played with the litter in the others, scattering it everywhere! So I got rid of them and now just need on for all 3 cats (rarely used because my cats toilet outside).

You will definitely need a litter tray plus good quality litter - check which type they are currently using. You will need a supply of kitten or cat food (depending on the age of the cat), again check what food they are used to - you don't want to put them through too much of a dramatic change because it's already stressful enough for them leaving what they've been used to. Perhaps a selection of cat toys. I would advise that you try to get hold of second hand scratching posts because they seem more likely to use those.

To be honest, apart from 'kitten proofing' your flat whaich has already been addressed in the other thread, you don't really need to prepare all that much!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Covered litter tray to stop litter getting chucked everywhere. Has like a cat flap on the front, so they just pop in and out
  • statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Covered litter tray to stop litter getting chucked everywhere. Has like a cat flap on the front, so they just pop in and out

brilliant. didn't know these existed!

What about 'up high' toys and scratching things? People have been recommending some things high up and I'm not quite sure what.

How much food do they get through in a week and how often should I buy litter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine have all their toys on the floor, and they then chuck them about. I have one of these as a toy/scratching post,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ME-MY-SISAL-KITTEN-CAT-REST-TREE-BED-NEST-WITH-SCRATCHER-SCRATCHING-POST-TOWER-/320833694142?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&var=&hash=item4ab32da9be

but am going to buy just a post to protect the end of my sofa which they seem to love attacking. They mainly use the one up there to jump about and play in.

They'll need kitten food for about the first year, which you can buy in regular pet shops.

When you go to choose them, find out what food they are on already, and buy that to start with, kittens get upset tummies very easily, so changing their food is best done slowly. I buy 12 sachets (thats the size box it comes in) and that lasts my two a week. They also have free access to biscuits, and a 2kg bag of that lasts a few weeks. I just top that up whenever it gets low.

Litter lasts me about 2 weeks, I buy the small bag as I have nowhere to store the large ones. You'll need 2 litter trays, especially if you end up with 2 cats, they like to poo in one and pee in the other. Also, don't put the litter trays near where they eat, they don't like it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Mine have all their toys on the floor, and they then chuck them about. I have one of these as a toy/scratching post,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ME-MY-SISAL-KITTEN-CAT-REST-TREE-BED-NEST-WITH-SCRATCHER-SCRATCHING-POST-TOWER-/320833694142?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Cats&var=&hash=item4ab32da9be

but am going to buy just a post to protect the end of my sofa which they seem to love attacking. They mainly use the one up there to jump about and play in.

They'll need kitten food for about the first year, which you can buy in regular pet shops.

When you go to choose them, find out what food they are on already, and buy that to start with, kittens get upset tummies very easily, so changing their food is best done slowly. I buy 12 sachets (thats the size box it comes in) and that lasts my two a week. They also have free access to biscuits, and a 2kg bag of that lasts a few weeks. I just top that up whenever it gets low.

Litter lasts me about 2 weeks, I buy the small bag as I have nowhere to store the large ones. You'll need 2 litter trays, especially if you end up with 2 cats, they like to poo in one and pee in the other. Also, don't put the litter trays near where they eat, they don't like it. :)

thanks Dolly :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No worries. Keep asking, and I'll keep helping if I can :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the covered litter tray as well, although I'd recommend taping up the flap so that they can get in and out easily. Mine didn't like the flap being down when they were little, although that could just be down to them being wusses!

When are they arriving?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the covered litter tray as well, although I'd recommend taping up the flap so that they can get in and out easily. Mine didn't like the flap being down when they were little, although that could just be down to them being wusses!

When are they arriving?

We haven't even chosen them yet! I am just making sure I have everything in place and ready. My daughter is desperate for a cat so I'm making her get everything prepared and ensuring she's ready to take responsibility :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine took a couple of days. I kept holding it open, plonking them in, and then they had to get out by themselves. Figured it out in a couple of days, and now they use the cat flap it's fine :)
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was totally unprepared when I brought the Beast home. I had been after a cat, and had a call out of the blue from the local pet shop saying someone had some kittens.

Cue phone call, a drive out so see them, I was chosen by one:p job done.

He came home in a cardboard box lined with an old t shirt.

Sudden panic that I had nothing for him. So took him home, cuddled him for a bit and shut him in the kitchen whilst I dashed to the Pet Shop.

He was probably thinking "What the hell is going on here!!!"

So i'm in the pet shop, dashing about like kid in a toy store:

Carry Box, litter tray, litter, bed, scratching post, a silly amount of toys, every variety of food, a couple of books, the whole nine yards.

When I get back he is fast asleep, and I leave him be whilst I get everything organised.

He wakes up and starts to cry/howl, I lift him out of his temporary accommodation and this little nervous face looks back at me, I could hold him easily in one palm then.

I took him into the living room where I had laid a blanket and spread his new toys and stuff, and showed him bowl and tray, telling him this is his home now.

I open various types of food to see which he liked, and whilst he sniffed about I opened a bottle of red and just watched him.

He ate and spent some time kicking his toys about with me then he yawned and squeaked, so I picked him up and sat on the chair, he curled on my lap and fell fast asleep purring for the rest of the evening.

Come bedtime I eased him into his bed and sneaked out. I live in a house so I had constructed a barricade to stop him getting upstairs. He woke up in the middle of the night crying. I let him, I didn't want him trying to climb the stairs.

It was heartbreaking though.

Couple of nights later the little sod had managed to get over the barricade, and I awoke to find him fast asleep on my legs under the duvet. Gawd know what an effort it must have been for him to climb the staircase to be with me.

So he slept with me from then on.

I would get up early to play with him before work and make sure he ate something. When I came home I used the back door,as we have a high fence so if he made a dash for freedom he couldn't get far.

I would look through the door to see him, generally he was asleep or biting his toy mice, and I would tap to get his attention. He would come scampering up, tail in the air.

In terms of material things The Beast had the lot, but what he wanted most was security and affection.

That doesn't come from a pet shop, its free, but to a new kitten it's priceless:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    I was totally unprepared when I brought the Beast home. I had been after a cat, and had a call out of the blue from the local pet shop saying someone had some kittens.

Sudden panic that I had nothing for him. So took him home, cuddled him for a bit and shut him in the kitchen whilst I dashed to the Pet Shop.

Carry Box, litter tray, litter, bed, scratching post, a silly amount of toys, every variety of food, a couple of books, the whole nine yards.

When I get back he is fast asleep, and I leave him be whilst I get everything organised.

He wakes up and starts to cry/howl, I lift him out of his temporary accommodation and this little nervous face looks back at me, I could hold him easily in one palm then.

I took him into the living room where I had laid a blanket and spread his new toys and stuff, and showed him bowl and tray, telling him this is his home now.

I open various types of food to see which he liked, and whilst he sniffed about I opened a bottle of red and just watched him.

He ate and spent some time kicking his toys about with me then he yawned and squeaked, so I picked him up and sat on the chair, he curled on my lap and fell fast asleep purring for the rest of the evening.

Come bedtime I eased him into his bed and sneaked out. I live in a house so I had constructed a barricade to stop him getting upstairs. He woke up in the middle of the night crying. I let him, I didn't want him trying to climb the stairs.

Couple of nights later the little sod had managed to get over the barricade, and I awoke to find him fast asleep on my legs under the duvet. Gawd know what an effort it must have been for him to climb the staircase to be with me.

I would get up early to play with him before work and make sure he ate something. When I came home I used the back door,as we have a high fence so if he made a dash for freedom he couldn't get far.

I would look through the door to see him, generally he was asleep or biting his toy mice, and I would tap to get his attention. He would come scampering up, tail in the air.

In terms of material things The Beast had the lot, but what he wanted most was security and affection.

That doesn't come from a pet shop, its free, but to a new kitten it's priceless:)

beautifully recounted :)

thank you so much for that :):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when ilost my ossie my big regret was not having him in the bedroom at night his choice not mine these two know if i say bedtime and run to the bedroom and i love it koppa gave me huge cuddles last night then after 20 mins i realised he had seen the bag of dreamies on the bedside table lol he once sneaked a pkt out of the shopping bag and hid them the little bugger had his own supply
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    after 20 mins i realised he had seen the bag of dreamies on the bedside table lol he once sneaked a pkt out of the shopping bag and hid them the little bugger had his own supply

^^ This ^^

Sigh!, what is it about Dreamies?? We've had to store the packets in a stainless steel pasta container to stop the little bleeder helping herself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when ilost my ossie my big regret was not having him in the bedroom at night his choice not mine these two know if i say bedtime and run to the bedroom and i love it koppa gave me huge cuddles last night then after 20 mins i realised he had seen the bag of dreamies on the bedside table lol he once sneaked a pkt out of the shopping bag and hid them the little bugger had his own supply

wheres the name koppa from and what the h*ll are dreamies? :D:D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    wheres the name koppa from and what the h*ll are dreamies? :D:D

"Dreamies" are very addictive cat treats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Dreamies" are very addictive cat treats.

have you tried them? :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    have you tried them? :D

Cats can sniff them out. They even know the noise they make in the tin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's how I get mine in from outside! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    misha06 wrote: »

A wonderful post. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think in the u.s they are sold as temptations koppa is purely because as a 3/4 rag he is a ginger/ apricot so is a variation of copper as in the colour i like to be different lol koppa will dig out dreamies he has a 6th sense where they are
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think in the u.s they are sold as temptations koppa is purely because as a 3/4 rag he is a ginger/ apricot so is a variation of copper as in the colour i like to be different lol koppa will dig out dreamies he has a 6th sense where they are

I go to the Uk quite a bit with work and to visit family (I am English :) ) so hopefully I can bring them back with me if not. They are on my must have list for when I get my little ones.

Forget the hubby and kids, you guys are going to turn me into a mad cat lady :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and great u decided on such an unusual name.

I can see rows in our home about names. Ive been showing the family these threads and boy do they make us even more excited at the prospect of two new arrivals!!!!! :)