Options

Miliband has worse day than Farage...

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

I'm missing something.. what's the issue they picked up?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    Oh I thought that was Ed being shopping savvy. I presumed he was in Morrison's café. Any bright spark knows that to shop on a full stomach, means spending less.

Full in-depth reporting from the Standard: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband-tucks-into-a-bacon-sandwich-on-a-morning-trip-to-buy-flowers-for-his-wife-9407561.html
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another day another media disaster: http://order-order.com/2014/05/21/video-eds-battle-of-the-bacon-butty/

Should the man who wants to be our first "Jewish PM" be eating a bacon sarnie? ;-)

What, Disraeli ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what about Justine’s flowers: “I’m just about to do that!” he exclaimed, before choosing 20 stunning scarlet Grand Prix roses from the stall of Bobby Armitt, who charged him just £10 for the blooms which normally cost £15 wholesale.

I hope he remembers to subtract the tenner from his £80 grocery allowance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no Labour fan.. nor am I a Miliband supporter.. but I think mocking how someone looks whilst eating is getting pretty low imho even for our media. Not seen that sort of thing since the Gordon Brown days. I'm sure everyone looks a bit of an idiot mid bite of a bacon sandwich.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I'm no Labour fan.. nor am I a Miliband supporter.. but I think mocking how someone looks whilst eating is getting pretty low imho even for our media. Not seen that sort of thing since the Gordon Brown days. I'm sure everyone looks a bit of an idiot mid bite of a bacon sandwich.

I'm not going to ask what he is doing to those roses :o
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The radio interview was dreadful. It reminds of the phrase "If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail".

The bacon sandwich stuff is just silly (and bordering on anti-Semitic?).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting observation by someone on DP regarding the radio interview.. suggesting if EM's head was in the right place, ie, "I'm in X area for X reason and that's why I'm here" he might have been able to talk his way out of not knowing the guys name.. but his reaction seemed to suggest that whilst EM was there.. he wasn't fully there. Ie.. it was just EM doing what he felt was required of him rather than him being there for a genuine reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting observation by someone on DP regarding the radio interview.. suggesting if EM's head was in the right place, ie, "I'm in X area for X reason and that's why I'm here" he might have been able to talk his way out of not knowing the guys name.. but his reaction seemed to suggest that whilst EM was there.. he wasn't fully there. Ie.. it was just EM doing what he felt was required of him rather than him being there for a genuine reason.

He was in Wiltshire campaigning for local elections , is it really too much to expect for his advisers to brief him on who he is supporting ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The radio interview was dreadful. It reminds of the phrase "If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail".

The bacon sandwich stuff is just silly (and bordering on anti-Semitic?).

Yes, the BaconSarnieGate was silly and trivial but it does add to the narrative that he is gaffprone.

Oh look! A living breathing Trotsky on the Daily Politics.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the BaconSarnieGate was silly and trivial but it does add to the narrative that he is gaffprone.

Oh look! A living breathing Trotsky on the Daily Politics.

The point is can the media keep up with these stories about EM until 2015, and/or will the public in general get fed up of them well before then ?

what's so newsworthy about EM getting photographed pulling funny face eating a bacon butty?

What's so newsworthy about EM not knowing or, more to the point, not admitting to not knowing how much a weekly shop is ?

What's so newsworthy about EM not knowing the name of a Labour council leader ?

Would any of these stories be in the news if we were not coming up to local elections, are they just a desperate attempt to discredit Miliband and put people off voting Labour in the local elections.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's so newsworthy about EM getting photographed pulling funny face eating a bacon butty?

There's nothing odd about him eating a bacon butty. I've not long had one myself as it happens - not a photograher anywhere but then, unlike Ed, I haven't been courting votes by banging on about my Jewish background lately so where I might risk the odd jibe about my consumption of a bacon butty being akin to cannibalism because I'm a bit of a porker that Miliband photo is a sarcastic comment just waiting to happen on shows like HIGNFY.

It's minor, it's trivial, it's silly - but it's this kind of daft piccy and opportunity to grab a cheap laugh and poke fun at Miliband that reinforce the general perception of him as a bit of a prat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    There's nothing odd about him eating a bacon butty. I've not long had one myself as it happens - not a photograher anywhere but then, unlike Ed, I haven't been courting votes by banging on about my Jewish background lately so where I might risk the odd jibe about my consumption of a bacon butty being akin to cannibalism because I'm a bit of a porker that Miliband photo is a sarcastic comment just waiting to happen on shows like HIGNFY.

It's minor, it's trivial, it's silly - but it's this kind of daft piccy and opportunity to grab a cheap laugh and poke fun at Miliband that reinforce the general perception of him as a bit of a prat

Sadly, I suspect mentioning his Jewish background will lose him more votes than it gains, and he should have stuck to the "we don't do god" line that was enforced during (most of) the Blair years.
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, I suspect mentioning his Jewish background will lose him more votes than it gains, and he should have stuck to the "we don't do god" line that was enforced during (most of) the Blair years.

But eating bacon will not endear him to minorities who may be put off by his Jewish background. So it's lose-lose for him.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What on earth possessed him to do it?

Another day, another humiliating PR disaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    But eating bacon will not endear him to minorities who may be put off by his Jewish background. So it's lose-lose for him.

Which was sort of my point. Some people will not vote for him now they've learnt about his Jewish background, others will not vote for him for eating pork. If he was "courting votes", he has a funny way of doing it!

I was trying to highlight that rusty123 was probably incorrect in writing that mentioning his Jewish background was for electoral popularity. However incompetent Ed is, I doubt he thought that chatting about his Jewish background was a massive vote winner in a country with a small Jewish population.

I've still to work out why he didn't stick to the "we don't do god" policy.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    David "One Tweet Per Day" Axelrod has been in America for the past three days wholly focussed on raising awareness of epilepsy. Chicago Bulls. James Taylor live etc. No mention of the Labour Party since the 18th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David "One Tweet Per Day" Axelrod has been in America for the past three days wholly focussed on raising awareness of epilepsy. Chicago Bulls. James Taylor live etc. No mention of the Labour Party since the 18th.

So Labours election strategist has been AWOL for the last days is he aware the election is erm TOMORROW :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    So Labours election strategist has been AWOL for the last days is he aware the election is erm TOMORROW :o

I think he is mainly being employed for 2015.

BUT:

Quote from the Telegraph: "Mr Axelrod is not moving to the UK and will take a relatively hands-off approach to Ed Miliband’s campaign...............The majority of his campaign advice will be given over telephone conference calls rather than in person, it is understood........He is being paid a “six-figure salary” for his advice, according to Labour."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he is mainly being employed for 2015.

BUT:

Quote from the Telegraph: "Mr Axelrod is not moving to the UK and will take a relatively hands-off approach to Ed Miliband’s campaign...............The majority of his campaign advice will be given over telephone conference calls rather than in person, it is understood........He is being paid a “six-figure salary” for his advice, according to Labour."

You can always rely on Labour to get good value for money :D
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Is Axelrod on a zero hours contract then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

He certainly seems to be on a zero ideas contract.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, I suspect mentioning his Jewish background will lose him more votes than it gains.

The mindset of folk who might be turned against Miliband over such things probably weren't going to vote for him in the first place I'd have thought.
    I'd assume they'd already be BNP voters if they are that tiny minded. It's not as if Ed's background was a well guarded secret that nobody was previously aware of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He certainly seems to be on a zero ideas contract.

:D

He is when he has James Taylor gigs to attend.

Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend, Ed?