League One thread 2014-15

Comments

• Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice top 3 all lost and Sheff Utd were only team in top 6 to win today, three out of bottom 4 all won with Yeovil only team in bottom 4 to lose today, amazing all teams between Oldham who are in sixth and Crewe who are in 17th place all have chance of making the play offs come May. :o

Did anybody foresee the top 3 all losing by a 2-goal margin? Also did anybody foresee the top 2 conceding 3 goals in the second half when they were both 1-0 at half-time?:o
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anybody foresee the top 3 all losing by a 2-goal margin? Also did anybody foresee the top 2 conceding 3 goals in the second half when they were both 1-0 at half-time?:o

Yeah, all surprising results. That's back to back defeats for Swindon now and 3 away defeats in a row, do you think you've peaked too soon? I know MK Dons have also lost 2 games in a row but could both teams be about to collapse?!

As for Notts, we are at home to Sheff Utd tomorrow night. Hopefully having had a weekend off Notts can build on last week's win at Leyton Orient. Sheff Utd got a massively important win at Bristol City last week, but are very inconsistent though. Considering the fact that Sheff Utd are inconsistent, I think Notts will get a 1-1 draw

Here are my predictions for the midweek games;

Bristol City 2-0 Peterborough
    Colchester 1-2 MK Dons
    Doncaster 1-1 Crewe
    Notts County 1-1 Sheff Utd
    Scunthorpe 2-2 Chesterfield

Leyton Orient 0-1 Bradford
  • familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't realise that until you mention it that Bristol City, Swindon and MK Dons all conceded 3 goals in second half :o I notice that Preston fans will be happy on how results gone over weekend given that if they win game in hands they got on Swindon and MK Dons the be one points behide 2nd place.

I hope results got Oldham way tomorrow/Wednesday night given that five teams around Oldham are in action but I do think Chesterfield, Doncaster and Bradford will all got something in they matches which I think Oldham will drop to ninth in table come Wednesday night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Yeah, all surprising results. That's back to back defeats for Swindon now and 3 away defeats in a row, do you think you've peaked too soon? I know MK Dons have also lost 2 games in a row but could both teams be about to collapse?!

I hope it's just a blip, not a wholesale collapse (a la Tranmere 2 seasons ago). This has coincided with our 3 main strikers - Jonathan Obika, Michael Smith and Andy Williams - scoring only 1 goal between them in the last 4 games, though Smith did score on Saturday for the first time in about 6 weeks, during which time, he was relieved of penalty-taking duties after a couple of misses and this was passed to Williams, who himself missed one in the 2-0 home win against Barnsley 10 days ago.

By the way, a Franchise collapse would please every neutral football fan!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it's just a blip, not a wholesale collapse (a la Tranmere 2 seasons ago). This has coincided with our 3 main strikers - Jonathan Obika, Michael Smith and Andy Williams - scoring only 1 goal between them in the last 4 games, though Smith did score on Saturday for the first time in about 6 weeks, during which time, he was relieved of penalty-taking duties after a couple of misses and this was passed to Williams, who himself missed one in the 2-0 home win against Barnsley 10 days ago.

By the way, a Franchise collapse would please every neutral football fan!

Tranmere went on to be relegated the next season and that looks like happening to Leyton Orient after they were top for most of last season

As for County, despite losing 2-1 to Sheff Utd it was our best performance in a while. County started off slowly and Sheff Utd went ahead through a great finish by Murphy. County equalised against the run of play and were competitive for most of the second half before Sheff Utd went ahead with a backheel similar to Noble's for our equaliser

The fact that we were applauded off the pitch today instead of booed shows that it was an improvement. We were beaten by a better Sheff Utd side though

Excited for Fleetwood on Saturday now
  • spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good comeback from Rovers yesterday. Had all the possession in the second half but once again our strikers are hopeless.

Tyson is genuinely the best we've got, which says it all.

Anyway, roll on Port Vale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am in shock about the Lucy Beale murder reveal, but won't let that distract me from talking about County. Fleetwood away this weekend, and I'm excited because I'm going up for the weekend and its the first new ground that I've been to in ages. And its terracing as well! Even though Fleetwood will be a tough test as they have an outside chance of making the play offs, I think County's confidence has increased and predict a 2-2 draw

I predict wins for Bradford, Bristol City, Gillingham, MK Dons, Oldham, Preston, Sheff Utd and Swindon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Am in shock about the Lucy Beale murder reveal, but won't let that distract me from talking about County. Fleetwood away this weekend, and I'm excited because I'm going up for the weekend and its the first new ground that I've been to in ages. And its terracing as well! Even though Fleetwood will be a tough test as they have an outside chance of making the play offs, I think County's confidence has increased and predict a 2-2 draw

I predict wins for Bradford, Bristol City, Gillingham, MK Dons, Oldham, Preston, Sheff Utd and Swindon

I always thought it was going to be Peter who killed Lucy and never thought it be bobby :o

Back to League One thread and it been interesting week for Oldham as midweek games seen to gone ok for us as only Doncaster and Bradford won (along with Sheff Utd) which push us down to eight in table but on Wednesday they were rumour about Johnson leaving us and become Barnsley manager, I hope he didn't leave us as he done well for us in two years he been Oldham manager and if it does leave us for Barnsley then I doubt Oldham will finish in top 6 come May.

As for tomorrow game I hope we can go back to winning way against Leyton Orient and we should beat them but we haven't beat any of current teams in bottom 4 this season :( I do think that will change tomorrow and that why I think we will beat Orient maybe 1-0 scoreline.

My predicted is same as Djfunnyman but I think Doncaster may nick win against Port Vale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought it was going to be Peter who killed Lucy and never thought it be bobby :o

Back to League One thread and it been interesting week for Oldham as midweek games seen to gone ok for us as only Doncaster and Bradford won (along with Sheff Utd) which push us down to eight in table but on Wednesday they were rumour about Johnson leaving us and become Barnsley manager, I hope he didn't leave us as he done well for us in two years he been Oldham manager and if it does leave us for Barnsley then I doubt Oldham will finish in top 6 come May.

As for tomorrow game I hope we can go back to winning way against Leyton Orient and we should beat them but we haven't beat any of current teams in bottom 4 this season :( I do think that will change tomorrow and that why I think we will beat Orient maybe 1-0 scoreline.

My predicted is same as Djfunnyman but I think Doncaster may nick win against Port Vale.

From what the producers said about the reveal being heartbreaking I thought it would be Peter. I also sussuspected Cindy, Jane and Denise

Would be a sideways move if Lee Johnson went to Barnsley
  • PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At half-time Swindon Town's currently losing (again) 1-0 at home to Crawley Town.
  • PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swindon Town lose the match against Crawley Town 2-1.

Terrible result that's three defeats in a row now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PDS1985 wrote: »

Yep, we are well and truly in blipsville; we need to get out of it PDQ!:(
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PDS1985 wrote: »

Going to Swindon today I didn't expect much to be honest. A draw would have been ideal. A win is even sweeter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - Oh why oh why can't Oldham beat bottom 4 team this season. >:(

Oldham lost 3-0 to Leyton Orient in which we missed penalty too, I see we were two nil down after 20 mins but won penalty on 64 mins but sadly Orient goalkeeper saved it which Kelly then hit the posts, Simpsons scored in last kick of game to seal the win and it was only third time Orient have won a home game this season. :(

It sound like we were poor today just like last Saturday and with us playing Preston next Saturday I expect to be three defend in row for Oldham, aleast we stay two points behide top 6 and thanks down to Bradford drawing 1-1 to Walsall and Doncaster losing 3-0 to port Vale.

I see none of bottom 5 lost today as Colchester and Crawley both got shocks wins against Bristol City and Swindon, MK Dons are now two points behide Bristol City but five points clear of Swindon as they beat Peterborough 3-0 and Preston are only point behide Swindon as they beat Scunthorpe 2-0.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notts had a great first 20-25 minutes today as we scored first with a Garry Thompson volley, but after that we were terrible. Didn't take our chances and allowed Fleetwood back into the match. Considering that Fleetwood were unimpressive and went down to 10 men in the second half, the game was there for the taking but Notts did nothing about it

If we lose our next two games against Port Vale and Colchester I fear that Derry will be sacked
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, we are well and truly in blipsville; we need to get out of it PDQ!:(

County Swindon on 7th March has 0-0 all over it if we both lose our next couple

In other news Coventry part company with Steven Pressley. This is bad news for us if Coventry improve
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pressley sacked as coventry manager.

still not sure if we will avoid relegation. but we probably have a better chance now.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    pressley sacked as coventry manager.

still not sure if we will avoid relegation. but we probably have a better chance now.

I think you'll be ok.

Yeovil, Colchester, Orient & my side Crawley are all finding it tough at the moment. We all picked up points though this weekend against top sides.

I think there are a lot worse sides than you in the league. You should be fine.
  • spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. My opinion on Dickov hasn't changed since he took over almost two seasons ago and it isn't going to change. He is not a good manager, but unfortunately, he isn't going anywhere.

2. How does someone like Uche Ikpeazu even become a professional footballer? Add Theo Robinson into that too. They are con men.

3. Stuart Atwell is an appalling referee.

/whinge over. I've got the day off tomorrow. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Barnsley, Bristol City, Swindon, Preston and Sheff Utd all won this evening which is good news for Oldham as it mean Bradford and Doncaster lose and we stay two points behind Bradford, it started to look like top 5 will be there come May and that last play offs place been anyone between Bradford to Scunthorpe who are 17th places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldham manager Lee Johnson have become new Barnsley manager, as I mention last week I'm disappointed that Johnson have left us to join Barnsley as we having better this season and still have chance of going up to Championship (via play offs) you can see why Johnson have join Barnsley as they slight better club then us and they budget is lot better than Oldham (I think is sixth best in LG1) I do think Johnson will do well at Barnsley and they probably have good season (2015/16 season) as he can bring his own players in and probably get best out of them.

Saturday 14th March is now interesting game for us as that when we play Barnsley at home, it be interested to what our fans be like towards Johnson now he going be in away dugout.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR gone back to Notts County on loan from the Blades. Seems a strange one imo, been a regular down at the Lane this season. My United contact does not know anything, I know there is a County fan on here, you heard anything ?
  • Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Oldham manager Lee Johnson have become new Barnsley manager, as I mention last week I'm disappointed that Johnson have left us to join Barnsley as we having better this season and still have chance of going up to Championship (via play offs) you can see why Johnson have join Barnsley as they slight better club then us and they budget is lot better than Oldham (I think is sixth best in LG1) I do think Johnson will do well at Barnsley and they probably have good season (2015/16 season) as he can bring his own players in and probably get best out of them.

Saturday 14th March is now interesting game for us as that when we play Barnsley at home, it be interested to what our fans be like towards Johnson now he going be in away dugout.

Forum Member
    ✭✭

blitzben85 wrote: »
    JCR gone back to Notts County on loan from the Blades. Seems a strange one imo, been a regular down at the Lane this season. My United contact does not know anything, I know there is a County fan on here, you heard anything ?

Yeah, strange that Lee Johnson has gone to Barnsley. Who will Oldham get now? Bear in mind that you will be in competition with Coventry and Peterborough who are also managerless

Delighted that JCR is back at County but surprised seeing as he has played 32 matches at United, although he was an unused sub when we played you at Meadow Lane. As much of a joke as it is that County have used about 40 players this season, it feels like we have finally replaced JCR ... with JCR!

JCR scored twice at home to Port Vale last season as we came back from 2-0 down to win 4-2. Before we resigned JCR, I thought we would lose to a Port Vale side who are in good form. Now I'm actually quite confident and think County will win 2-1 :)

I predict wins for Bristol City, MK Dons, Notts County :), Preston, Scunthorpe, Sheff Utd, Swindon and Walsall