Options

BBC Poll: 24% of UK muslims believe violence can be justified against blasphemers

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the BBC managed it so I'm sure the Guardian will have no problem :D

I think they may either try to pull it apart to discredit it, or probably just ignore it entirely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    We're sleepwalking into a massive problem here. It's reinforced by the isolation some young Muslims are feeling too.

The only way to solve these things are by proper integration. However, I don't think that's likely and the fault is mainly of the side of the Muslim families IMO.
  • Options
    LkjhLkjh Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Vulpes wrote: »
    1,000 Muslims polled”, not 3 million.

1,000 is a big enough number to be accurate within +/- 3% if you polled 3 mill.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the BBC is still peddling it's misrepresentation of the results of this poll on the national 6 o'clock news.

It's well and trulley been caught with it's trousers down on this one and is getting desperate. There's really nothing you can say to disguise the reality of the opinions of a significant minority. There's no way anyone can continue the "small/insignifacant minority" argument after this, although I'm sure we'll see them try.

I'm quite sure there a some muslims who don't hold such abhorent views in the UK. However pretending that the great majority don't does them a great diservice and does nothing to help change.
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    We're sleepwalking into a massive problem here. It's reinforced by the isolation some young Muslims are feeling too.

The only way to solve these things are by proper integration. However, I don't think that's likely and the fault is mainly of the side of the Muslim families IMO.

Other communities seem to have integrated well here. So I think you are right.

All our problems all seem to stem from this one intolerant religion. And wherever you find this religion around the world, there always seems to be some sort of conflict.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »
    Other communities seem to have integrated well here. So I think you are right.

All our problems all seem to stem from this one intolerant religion. And wherever you find this religion around the world, there always seems to be some sort of conflict.

We keep getting told to think of muslim sensibility but you never hear of muslims been told to think of non muslim sensibility.>:(
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In before, "Christians feel that way, too".
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    In before, "Christians feel that way, too".

I'd welcome a poll on Christians, if only for comparison's sake. Specifically a focus on blasphemy laws, which is a bit more nuanced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We keep getting told to think of muslim sensibility but you never hear of muslims been told to think of non muslim sensibility.>:(

Yeah, that's absolutely true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The results when extrapolated across the Muslim community, leaves me worrying - even if you are going to argue over factors related to complicated thought-processes that led to a particular answer.

I know there are good decent Muslims wanting to lead peaceful lives in the UK. And I welcome them here.

However, with an increasing Muslim population in the UK, I can only foresee increasing deadly violence from a small minority of Muslims, increasing pressure to curtail our freedom of speech, and eventually, pressure to have Sharia law.

I really don't want the UK to go this way, but I fear that if we ignore this issue now, it will.

Not it won't. It'll only go so far before many of the rest of the population start getting nasty themselves. What I fear is that things could get unpleasant for the wrong Muslims - as is often the case with retaliation type events. The innocent suffer for the wrongdoing of the guilty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not it won't. It'll only go so far before many of the rest of the population start getting nasty themselves. What I fear is that things could get unpleasant for the wrong Muslims - as is often the case with retaliation type events. The innocent suffer for the wrongdoing of the guilty.

If we went down this path, I wouldn't want to see any of the peaceful 'wrong Muslims' getting hurt either.

I suspect if we don't do anything now, then clashes most likely will happen sooner or later.

However, considering the birth rates of the Muslim community compared to ours, it could be a case that they win due to sheer numbers in the long run.

So, for both of these reasons, we need to do something about this intolerant religion now.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, for both of these reasons, we need to do something about this intolerant religion now.

Such as? That's not a loaded question, I'm genuinely curious.
  • Options
    hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    el_bardos wrote: »
    That’s still missing the point. Even if someone says “sometimes loyal, sometimes disloyal” that should form a separate category, not be double counted to both individual loyal/disloyal totals.

Assuming that’s what they’ve done rather than just being incompetent and unable to add up to 100%

They were separate questions, therefore any of my examples can apply.

Did you read it?
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've only ever hated a 1/4 of Muslims anyway. So it evens itself out really.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've only ever hated a 1/4 of Muslims anyway. So it evens itself out really.

:D:D:D:D
    Only a quarter.
    That would make you a traitorous apologist, then.
    Everyone knows you have to hate all of them and repress them whenever possible. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what the opinion of 5 out of 20 muslim cats is......
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aardman Animations should do a public information film. Should save anyone making that mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Such as? That's not a loaded question, I'm genuinely curious.

I asked this very question to another poster earlier in this thread. :)

My thoughts though are in post number 102 above.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked this very question to another poster earlier in this thread. :)

My thoughts though are in post number 102 above.

I would:

1) Stop immigration from Muslim countries.

2) Stop faith schools.

3) Advertising campaign about the dangers of religion.

4) Schools to teach the dangers of religion.

5) State funded deprogramming clinics for people wanting to leave their faith

6) No more religious buildings allowed to be built.

7) Ban the Burqa in public places.

8) No religious symbols in schools.

9) Religious meat to be outlawed.

10)Constitution drawn up to stop the UK becoming a theocracy and to ensure the rights of groups like homosexuals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    I would:

1) Stop immigration from Muslim countries.

2) Stop faith schools.

3) Advertising campaign about the dangers of religion.

4) Schools to teach the dangers of religion.

5) State funded deprogramming clinics for people wanting to leave their faiths

6) No more religious buildings allowed to be built.

7) Ban the Burqa in public places.

8) No religious symbols in schools.

I like the idea of an advertising campaign to warn of the dangers of cults and religions (number 4).

I have the impression that there is already help for people wanting to leave the Muslim faith considering the apostasy law. I think the apostasy law usually results in dis-ownment from the family in the UK. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me on this if I am wrong. (number 5)

So, I agree with your list. I think it looks sensible.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

I agree with him - I was shocked when I heard the BBC this morning. I kept thinking... 'why are they downplaying the number who thought that those who thought there could be justification for violence..

I am not sure the questions were particularly well phrased though - "I have some sympathy with the motives behind..." seems very woolly and could be interpreted as 'I don't like people insulting the Prophet either' rather than 'they were right to kill them'. A poor job on the questions I think.

That aside, the numbers are very worrying and the BBC need to be taken to task about the ridiculous way they 'looked on the bright side' of some very dark data.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of an advertising campaign to warn of the dangers of cults and religions (number 4).

I have the impression that there is already help for people wanting to leave the Muslim faith considering the apostasy law. I think the apostasy law usually results in dis-ownment from the family in the UK. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me on this if I am wrong. (number 5)

I'd add the option mentioned earlier: financial incentives to relocate. According to the BBC's now infamous poll 14% said "If I could I would leave Britain and go and live in another country". That's over 400,000 gone right there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »
    Aardman Animations should do a public information film. Should save anyone making that mistake.

With lots of ladies dressed in their burkas, at least the stop/start animation shouldn't take too long between remoulds.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Oxy.

Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ;-)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd add the option mentioned earlier: financial incentives to relocate. According to the BBC's now infamous poll 14% said "If I could I would leave Britain and go and live in another country". That's over 400,000 gone right there.

15 year old school kids can relocate without any financial incentive.