I STILL can't believe that OctiKleen won... that ad was just AWFUL!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
Forum Member
It's still irritating me (I know I know I need to get a life), but it seems so unfair!

Both teams were rubbish and both products were pants, but the Octi-kleen advert was actaully offensive. To both women and men.

Christopher should have been fired over that. Definitely.

Comments

• ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    You can't have a kid brandishing heavy-duty cleaning products. Sexist ads are just embarrassing. But Team Germ made a major boo-boo.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree they were both totally inept and the resulting ads were utter pants.

Problem is that, because of the show format, one team HAS to win so that they can fire someone from the losing team.

You couldn't have a draw. I think that's the only reason either one of them got through.

I used to work in the advertising industry and believe me the laughter and giggling from the ad agency staff said it all. Both teams were beyond sh**e!
  • Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest this was a very weak episode because of the task chosen. Next week looks much better.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Lordalun made it pretty clear the 'winners' only won becouse they were marginally less bad than the losers. I really thought for once he was going to declare them all losers and have six in the boardroom for a double firing - might have been a bit of a dogfight though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Is it me, or are this year's candidates just very weak on creativity? Task Two, they come up with the plastic book frame and a good but not great beach towel. This task, they have two rubbish ads and the winners only win because their bottle looks more like a kitchen cleaner.

S5, by contrast, had more creativity - they had the Body Rocka, Treasure Flakes and the sandalwood soap that could have been a winning product had they not overspent (OK, so they also had Pants Man, but even that was more creative than what they came up with last night).

Hopefully next episode will be better - for competence as well as incompetence! ;)
  • Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me, or are this year's candidates just very weak on creativity? Task Two, they come up with the plastic book frame and a good but not great beach towel. This task, they have two rubbish ads and the winners only win because their bottle looks more like a kitchen cleaner.

S5, by contrast, had more creativity - they had the Body Rocka, Treasure Flakes and the sandalwood soap that could have been a winning product had they not overspent (OK, so they also had Pants Man, but even that was more creative than what they came up with last night).

Hopefully next episode will be better - for competence as well as incompetence! ;)

I think they are a lot weaker candidates this year. I can't see anyone yet that I can see is really outstanding in any way. But it's still not affecting my enjoyment, I love watching them dig big holes for themselves and see their smugness battered out of them!!
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miles_T wrote: »
    I think they are a lot weaker candidates this year. I can't see anyone yet that I can see is really outstanding in any way. But it's still not affecting my enjoyment, I love watching them dig big holes for themselves and see their smugness battered out of them!!

Unfortunately giving the so-called *winning team* a karaoke night, didn't knock any smugness from them, from the way they were singing We Are The Champions! Smugness remains. booo
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,854
    Forum Member
    I think it came down to the bottle and it colours. Had Alex gone for lighter colours, then he probably would have won even though Sugar had a good point about the name as well.

Thought putting the actress in an octopuss outfit was totally ridiculous but boy did she look so hot and yummy in the advert, esp her curvy legs. Didn't think she was that shapely at fisrt sight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe the Octo team won, especially as they didn't even come up with the idea in the first place and pinched it from one of the mums in the focus group!

When they showed the finished ad, right at the very end where the girl has her head laid on his chest, did anybody else think she didn't look very lifelike? I thought she looked like a blow up doll! And she wasn't even looking at him, she was just staring straight ahead. She really didn't look at all comfortable snuggling up to him.

I still think the best ad was from a couple of years back when they had to advertise an airline and showed that bloke writhing around in pleasure on the seat. It was meant to show him relaxing and enjoying himself, but unfortunately it looked like he was doing something completely different! :D
  • PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I was surprised that no-one pointed out that it should have been OctoKleen, not OctiKleen.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both ads were horrible and cringy,

"Ooooh, I can't - get rid of - this - graavayyyyyyyy"
    "Move over!"
    "Woowwwwwww!"

:o

And then we have:

"Do you wanna have an early night?" :cool:

"Ooh. This-would-be-so-much-easier-with-eight-hands"

:o
    Forum Member
    Christopher raises eyebrow lasciviously.
    "Eight hands are definitely better than two."

For fondling Christopher all over whilst cooing dirty, dirty, dirty sexual suggestions.....

Oh, was that just me?
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,854
    Forum Member
    Out of all the series I've seen, I think these where the worst adverts we've ever seen on the aprrentice.

Though I have to say, what to do you expect for 2 days work? Gonna take a lot longer than that to get anything looking good for the tv.
  • BelligerentBossBelligerentBoss Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...S5, by contrast, had more creativity - they had the Body Rocka...

An opportune time to update you all a bit on this one. The Body-Rocka is moving more towards a finished product, and Phil Taylor is to be involved in it. You may recall I noticed that FreemantleMedia Ltd had registered both bodyrocka.co.uk & bodyrocka.com last year, and also registered it as a trademark. Well Phil became a Director of a new company, Rocka Fitness Limited (07376572) in October 2010, and FreemantleMedia have updated both the web sites to reflect this.

Good luck to him, credit where it's due!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    8 hands are better than 2.

4 hands are better than 2 - get off your backside you lazy git and go and help your wife in the kitchen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »

Problem is that, because of the show format, one team HAS to win so that they can fire someone from the losing team.

You couldn't have a draw. I think that's the only reason either one of them got through.
    i think it was in the US apprentice where trump gave them a similar task (create an advertising campaign) and both were so crap, he brought both teams back to the boardroom

so it's possible and would have made good viewing indeed

he should have actually not given them a "reward", if karaoke is a reward...! :D
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    Though I have to say, what to do you expect for 2 days work? Gonna take a lot longer than that to get anything looking good for the tv.

A very good point. They don't get long enough time to come up with a decent idea and then see it through.
  • cpikey316_cpikey316_ Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they showed the finished ad, right at the very end where the girl has her head laid on his chest, did anybody else think she didn't look very lifelike? I thought she looked like a blow up doll! And she wasn't even looking at him, she was just staring straight ahead. She really didn't look at all comfortable snuggling up to him.

I kept thinking she looked more like a wife you might 'buy' off the internet.

and as for the germinator, why did the dad have a cockney accent and the kid didnt?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe the Octo team won, especially as they didn't even come up with the idea in the first place and pinched it from one of the mums in the focus group!

I still think the best ad was from a couple of years back when they had to advertise an airline and showed that bloke writhing around in pleasure on the seat. It was meant to show him relaxing and enjoying himself, but unfortunately it looked like he was doing something completely different! :D

The fact that the "Wife" didn't look real was picked up on Your Fired too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't have a kid brandishing heavy-duty cleaning products. Sexist ads are just embarrassing. But Team Germ made a major boo-boo.

I made the point to my hubby though that the kid looked around 10-12 ish and at that age my chore at home was always to clean the bathroom using similar product - it's not as though they used a 5 year old. Although why they didn't have a family type ad with the Mum doing it easily and the Dad not able to and annoying sprog then jumping in with the line I have no idea.

Other team was just apalling
    Forum Member
    Hey, I've got no problem with kids doing cleaning. But in this nanny-state there's no way that would fly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, I've got no problem with kids doing cleaning. But in this nanny-state there's no way that would fly.

Ah yeah I was just saying what I would've said had I been in the boardroom :)
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What surprised me was that the feisty women on the team (Stella, Jo and Liz) didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with the Stepford Wife style of the Octiclean advert.:confused:
    Forum Member
    It wasn't fashion. D'you think they cared?
  • fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    What surprised me was that the feisty women on the team (Stella, Jo and Liz) didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with the Stepford Wife style of the Octiclean advert.:confused:

Me too, especially after Stella made such a big deal about not wanting to wear that bikini. I think that Alex's team should've won, the Octikleen ad was cringey .